Bloody Wonder-First Build-Battery Question

KevinB

First post here, so I want to say a big thank you to Flight Test and all of the contributors.

I was looking for a cheap airplane when I came across the scratch built plans and tutorials and was thrilled to find something which was fun to build and I don't need to feel guilty about crashing.

Here is my bloody wonder;

FT%u00252520Bloody%2520Wonder%2520%25282%2529.JPG FT%u00252520Bloody%2520Wonder%2520%25281%2529.JPG

All-in it weighs 435g. I have a bunch of these batteries from my helicopter and I am wondering if the 10c is too low.
I got the 1300kv motor and 20 amp esc and 8x4.3 prop, recommended in the power pod build. It is winter, so I used plenty of packing tape to give it a chance in the weather.

Lipo%u0025252010C.JPG

I ironed my edges as per: http://www.flitetest.com/articles/hot-tip-iron-your-edges and it worked really well.

I also saw an article (which I cannot find right now) about utility blade holders for setting the depth of cut and cutting bevels. I copied his idea and made these; (after finishing the build)

Bevel%u00252520Cutter.JPG

Thanks again!

-Kevin

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Welcome to the forum Kevin!

Those are some nice bevel tools! I've had no luck with the ones I've made from wood (except the square tool -- great for pealing paper and score cuts), but a nice tool like that could work wonders on a hinge line.

That battery's health will depend on the motor. If you're drawing more than 12A, you'll likely puff the batteries, less and you'll be fine. If the 1300kv motor is the 2370 size "blue wonder" style motor, you should be fine, so long as you don't overprop it. those motors max out at ~7.5A continious (any more over long flights will burn them out). The 1300kv version will throw an 8x4(ish) prop pretty close to that limit, and drag a bloody wonder airframe around the field pretty well. Won't be the fastest plane, but should fly well. I'd expect ~10-15 min flight times, cruising around 2/3 to 3/4 throttle, with that combo.

Oh, and Nice Bloody Wonder too ;)

RoyBro

Mentor
Nice graphics job on the BW. It has all the looks of a fearsome combat plane. The only thing missing is a little bit of blood red dripping from the leading edge of the wings. Like they were blades of death. :eek:

MrGravey

I tend to fly the BW much harder than any other plane I fly. I have been through atleast 6 BWs in the last year. It is without question my favorite scratchbuild plane. It always happens that the more effort I put into the look of my BWs the more sudden and violent it's end.

I still haven't been able to get a BW combat together yet but one day I'm going to get atleast 5 other guys together for it.

As a matter of fact I'm carrying BW3 from this year in my avatar.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I tend to fly the BW much harder than any other plane I fly. I have been through atleast 6 BWs in the last year. It is without question my favorite scratchbuild plane. It always happens that the more effort I put into the look of my BWs the more sudden and violent it's end.

I still haven't been able to get a BW combat together yet but one day I'm going to get atleast 5 other guys together for it.

As a matter of fact I'm carrying BW3 from this year in my avatar.

You call it Gravey and I'll try to be there! might not be anything more than prop fodder, but I'm game :D

KevinB

Thanks Dan, for the reassurance on using the battery. They are old and I've got a bunch so I'll upgrade when they're done.
I just want to get up in the air for now, speed will come later. It must have been your wooden tools I saw, so thanks for the idea!

Cheers Roy, I do have some red tape... or if I'm not careful, I could end up with some real blood on there.

I had some spare time after the kids went to bed and while waiting on parts to play around with it. The "decals" are just printer paper taped on.

Thanks all!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Nope, not mine.

Stole it off of SalorJohn's article on the main page -- likely where you saw it too.

Like yours better than mine, for sure . . . yours looks like it would work ;)

Last edited: