Bloody Wonder MkIII - Build

LooseBruce

Yes,
I see that it is. Thank you very much.
My problem was I clicked on the image lol.
And you wonder why I crash so often...
LooseBruce

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
One very small suggestion: Switch the two horizontal stabilizers in the plans, so 07 is left as the three vertical options 7A, 7B and 7C are. And 06 to the right where the two 6A and 6B options are (or to releave my minor case of OCD - move the 06 parts to the left ;))

I thought about doing that just after I spent an hour creating the PDF's for Rev B. I already found a bunch of really minor annoyance type changes that I want to do. I'm a self diagnosed OCD sufferer too, so my stuff is NEVER good enough and NEVER done. :black_eyed:

For now, I'm getting back to finalizing the plans for the Ugly Wonder and updating the plans for the FT Bloody Baron to send to Josh for testing. :cool:

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I'm a self diagnosed OCD sufferer too, so my stuff is NEVER good enough and NEVER done.

Oh I know that feeling. Also we should start calling it CDO...

... with the letters in the order they are supposed to be! :mad::rolleyes::cool:

LooseBruce

Bloody Question ?

Hi, I am building t your Bloody Wonder Swappable MK III. You have done a dynamite job with the plans. The registration marks are worth the price of admission alone. Very Nice. BTW, I like the long curved lines. Very easy to cut with a razor knife.

My question is with the C-fold area on the front of the fuselage. I have built mini Scouts and a Speedster so I think I have the fold correct.Is it there to provide offset downward thrust? If I leave it in place as drawn my forward tabs of the power pod will not reach to the slots (held away pb the top of the firewall). I am not sure what to do with this.Should I notch it so the firewall protrudes through it?

I am heading over to look at the Storch example to see if I can figure it out but I thought I might ask here first.
Thanks a lot and GREAT JOB!
LooseBruce

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
The C fold is to increase the down thrust. If done correctly, the tabs closest to the front of the power pod my not actually reach the slots. This won't matter so long as the rear tabs still fit into their slots to get the proper alignment.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Hi, I am building t your Bloody Wonder Swappable MK III. You have done a dynamite job with the plans. The registration marks are worth the price of admission alone. Very Nice. BTW, I like the long curved lines. Very easy to cut with a razor knife.

Thanks for the compliments. I spent a lot of time figuring out how I wanted to make the tiled plans. I know what a pain they can be. I'm glad you like them. I will be using that same fuselage on two other designs that are coming out soon as well. The Ugly Wonder and the Bloody Baron.

My question is with the C-fold area on the front of the fuselage. I have built mini Scouts and a Speedster so I think I have the fold correct.Is it there to provide offset downward thrust? If I leave it in place as drawn my forward tabs of the power pod will not reach to the slots (held away pb the top of the firewall). I am not sure what to do with this.Should I notch it so the firewall protrudes through it?

If will provide about 1° of down thrust. Like the FT Storch and the FT Mustang, the front tabs of the power pod will only slightly engage in the slots in fuselage, or not at all. No worries, this is the way it was designed to work. As long as the back tabs are in the slots you should be fine. No modification should be necessary to get it to work.

Thanks a lot and GREAT JOB!
LooseBruce

Thanks so much, really appreciate it.

LooseBruce

The C fold is to increase the down thrust. If done correctly, the tabs closest to the front of the power pod my not actually reach the slots. This won't matter so long as the rear tabs still fit into their slots to get the proper alignment.

Perfect, Thank you very much for your fast response. It is like you are with me here helping with the build. It is much appreciated.Moving forward now,
LooseBruce

LooseBruce

My Bloody wonder

Hi,
I finished my Bloody Wonder MK. I liked your warbird look so well I copied it sincerely. BloodyWonder20001.jpg BloodyWonderBot0001.jpg

I hope it flies as good as it looks. It is approaching 32 degrees F here today so I MAY try it out.
Thanks for the plan,
LooseBruce

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Hi,
I finished my Bloody Wonder MK. I liked your warbird look so well I copied it sincerely.

I hope it flies as good as it looks. It is approaching 32 degrees F here today so I MAY try it out.
Thanks for the plan,
LooseBruce

Nice work man, it looks awesome! Let me know how she flies when you get a chance. Thanks for posting the pictures too.

LooseBruce

Nice work man, it looks awesome! Let me know how she flies when you get a chance. Thanks for posting the pictures too.
I forgot to ask you something.
This design is so very strong that I think I could have made it lighter by removing paper in several places. I am really interested in slow rather than fast.

This is my first Bloody Wonder. Sometimes it is a little difficult looking at the different build videos (from original through V2 and then your blog)

Did you remove the paper on some of your builds?.
Thanks, again
LooseBruce

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I haven't removed any paper on the Bloody Wonder. The weight of both the V2 and the MkIII are very comparable. I've flown the MkIII on a 24 gram (Blue Wonder) and the 'Beef' motors. It flies great with either. If you use a 500-1000 mah battery with a 24 gram motor it slows way down and is a real fun park flyer.

LooseBruce

I haven't removed any paper on the Bloody Wonder. The weight of both the V2 and the MkIII are very comparable. I've flown the MkIII on a 24 gram (Blue Wonder) and the 'Beef' motors. It flies great with either. If you use a 500-1000 mah battery with a 24 gram motor it slows way down and is a real fun park flyer.

You are RIGHT Sponz!

I maidened it this evening when it warmed up to about 25 degrees F.
WHAT A FLYER!!
This is without a doubt the best plane I have scratch built yet.

My first maneuver was a high speed modified ground loop. I call it modified because it nested in a tree about twenty feet up behind me. After I got it down (undamaged BTW) it flew very well. It took me a little while to realize how slow it can actually go. Maybe about 1/4 throttle and controlling perfect.Even with the small power setup there is power to spare so no weight issues here.
It looks kind of like a bird when in flight so I might make another with a feather/bird theme.
This is going to be a very FUN plane. I may add a slightly larger battery to help balance the COG. I had to mount the battery as far forward as possible to balance the plane. I am using a 1000mAh 3s Zippy.
I will be post a link to You Tube video when it is finished loading.
thanks so much,
LooseBruce

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
You are RIGHT Sponz!

I maidened it this evening when it warmed up to about 25 degrees F.
WHAT A FLYER!!
This is without a doubt the best plane I have scratch built yet.

My first maneuver was a high speed modified ground loop. I call it modified because it nested in a tree about twenty feet up behind me. After I got it down (undamaged BTW) it flew very well. It took me a little while to realize how slow it can actually go. Maybe about 1/4 throttle and controlling perfect.Even with the small power setup there is power to spare so no weight issues here.
It looks kind of like a bird when in flight so I might make another with a feather/bird theme.
This is going to be a very FUN plane. I may add a slightly larger battery to help balance the COG. I had to mount the battery as far forward as possible to balance the plane. I am using a 1000mAh 3s Zippy.
I will be post a link to You Tube video when it is finished loading.
thanks so much,
LooseBruce

AWESOME! Thanks for sharing your experience with it. Can't wait to see your video. And congrats on your build and successful maiden flight.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Bruce, that was really cool. I posted a comment on YouTube. Congrats again on the build and maiden flight. It's really rewarding to see someone else building and flying it! Thanks again for sharing.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Hi!

I came across this because I was searching for plans - I am thinking about building a 150% - 200% FunBat out of balsa, with the intention of putting FPV gear on it. :D It will make for a dizzying experience :p

I have the following stuff laying around: Park450 1050kv - 8x4E prop (stiff) - 2 HXT-900 - 1 MG-90s - 1 1300mAh and 4 2200mAh 3S LiPos.

I would have to design the plane from scratch - which I actually enjoy doing :p

Cheers, nice improvements on your design!