Bloody Wonder MkIII - Build

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
The Bloody Warhawk?

Too bad they don't make olive drab colored packing tape. ;)

2014-10-30 22.14.49.jpg

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
More build thread updates. I'm nearly finished with the build and should be posting my first article within the next couple of weeks. Thanks to all who have commented so far. If any of you are building one, I'd love to see you post some pics here.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Weight without battery = 355 grams. Test flight will be using 2200 mah 3S LiPo for an AUW (all-up-weight) of 545 grams. Should be able to wrap this build up very soon and publish my first article. Thanks to everyone who has provided feedback so far.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Made significant progress creating a 3D CAD model of the Mk III. In doing so I discovered a couple of issues with the plans that need some minor tweaks. Should have this all wrapped up and ready for my first article write up soon. In the mean time, here is a 3 view and Iso view of the 3D model.

attachment.php

Last edited:

cdharden

I have made some of the FT flyers and I sill having problems flying . I built the bloody wonder and have no attempted to fly it as of yet. Your phrase saying it is a successful flyer I will need to set it up to fly when wet weather goes away.
love the paint scheme you used. Might do an article on that

Carl Harden

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Sponz,
What CAD software are you using?

For the 2D plans I am currently using AutoCAD.
For the 3D modeling I am using Autodesk Inventor.

I use them for work and have for the past two decades. They are cost prohibitive for anyone looking to use them for just a hobby. However, if you are a student at just about any level (middle school through college) I believe that you can get an educational license for free. The learning curve for Inventor is much steeper than SketchUp though.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I have made some of the FT flyers and I sill having problems flying . I built the bloody wonder and have no attempted to fly it as of yet. Your phrase saying it is a successful flyer I will need to set it up to fly when wet weather goes away.
love the paint scheme you used. Might do an article on that

Carl Harden

Carl,

First of all, welcome to the forums and the Flite Test family. I started out like you with the FT Flyer about a 1.5 years ago. Actually, I tried the Nutball, Flyer and Delta all on a 24 gram 2S setup with very little success. I was brand new to RC, Scratch Building, Electronics, and Flying at the time. I did a lot of crashing and repairing with those at first and was starting to get a little discouraged.

It wasn't until I built my first FT Bloody Wonder (BW) that I felt like I was going to be able to really build and fly my own RC airplanes. My first BW was the light setup with the hexTronik 24 gram motor, 10 amp Plush ESC, and a 1000 mah 3S battery with an 8 x 6 prop. I setup the low throws per the Flite Test videos. I started to have a lot of success and would say that I taught myself to fly on that plane. Within a month I upgraded to the bigger "Beef" electronics setup and was flying combat with my son. I introduced my Brother and nephew to RC and they learned to fly on the Bloody Wonder as well, with no prior RC experience.

Bottom line, I think you'll like the Bloody Wonder.

The "paint" i used is actually just colored packing tape that I bought from tapebrothers.com. The graphics were printed on regular printer paper and clear taped on as well.

Last edited:

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
For the 2D plans I am currently using AutoCAD.
For the 3D modeling I am using Autodesk Inventor.

I use them for work and have for the past two decades. They are cost prohibitive for anyone looking to use them for just a hobby. However, if you are a student at just about any level (middle school through college) I believe that you can get an educational license for free. The learning curve for Inventor is much steeper than SketchUp though.

Great job with that bird. Thanks for the info!

RodrigoDeLucca

Very nice designs!

I'm just learning how to fly and the BW is the plane I'm flying every day. It is amazingly responsive and easy at the same time. I plan on upgrading my motor to the Beef equivalent in a few weeks, at most.

I also was planning on cutting some BW parts since I've been going trough planes like crazy, specially due to the tail fins, when I saw your post. I'm surely going to build upon your design! I'll also add some landing gear, as per the FT Mustang, to see if I can learn how to land properly. I'll let you know I soon as I test it!

Thanks for the effort in improving the BW!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Very nice designs!

I'm just learning how to fly and the BW is the plane I'm flying every day. It is amazingly responsive and easy at the same time. I plan on upgrading my motor to the Beef equivalent in a few weeks, at most.

I also was planning on cutting some BW parts since I've been going trough planes like crazy, specially due to the tail fins, when I saw your post. I'm surely going to build upon your design! I'll also add some landing gear, as per the FT Mustang, to see if I can learn how to land properly. I'll let you know I soon as I test it!

Thanks for the effort in improving the BW!

Thanks Rodrigo. I'm glad you like it. I should be putting up the revised plans very soon. If you have the old ones that were in the original post, you might want to hold off until I get the revisions complete and post the new plans. There were some minor changes that I needed to make.

RodrigoDeLucca

Thanks Rodrigo. I'm glad you like it. I should be putting up the revised plans very soon. If you have the old ones that were in the original post, you might want to hold off until I get the revisions complete and post the new plans. There were some minor changes that I needed to make.

I'll wait for the revised plans. I'm sure it will be great!!!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I just posted what I believe are the final plans for the Bloody Wonder MkIII. The plans are available in both full-size (20 x 30) and tiled (will work with US Letter and A4 size paper). I spent a lot of time coming up with the tiled format and would love feedback from anyone that tries them out. I hope some of you out there find this plane as enjoyable as I do. Thanks for reading. I hope to make this my first article on Flite Test in the near future.