Bloody Wonder MkIII - Build

The plans look great. I really like your key showing the different folds and lines.

I am confused about the crease though. It just shows a rectangle (looks un modified compared to the others). Shouldn't it be a cut just through the top paper and scored with a skewer?

I would like to see horizontal wing spar edge guide lines and vertical slot guides to align the wing to the tail and to help keep the fuselage aligned. The heavy red lines in the image attached.

Bloody-Wonder-Mk-III-Rev-A-Full-Size.png

What software did you make the plans with? How did you generate the tiles I like the registration markers.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I think the rectangles you are talking about are the reliefs for the spar. It is basically the same as the bloody wonder v2 build, except you leave the paper on the bottom of the wing intact.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
The plans look great. I really like your key showing the different folds and lines.

I am confused about the crease though. It just shows a rectangle (looks un modified compared to the others). Shouldn't it be a cut just through the top paper and scored with a skewer?

I would like to see horizontal wing spar edge guide lines and vertical slot guides to align the wing to the tail and to help keep the fuselage aligned. The heavy red lines in the image attached.

What software did you make the plans with? How did you generate the tiles I like the registration markers.

unstoppablecarl,

I really appreciate the comments and feedback. I'm glad that you like the Key. The crease symbol on the key does have a slight dimple in the center of the box. You probably need to zoom in to see it. Maybe I need to make that bigger/more noticeable?

I'm curious as to why you want to see the guidelines for the spar and the wing/horizontal stabilizer? The BW MkIII uses tab/slot construction that aligns the spar to the wing, and aligns the fuselage to the wing and horizontal stabilizer already. If you follow the plan, the alignment of the parts takes care of itself. I'm not opposed to adding them if it makes things clearer/easier for the builder. I just don't want to unnecessarily clutter the drawing either.

The plans were done in AutoCAD. The tile format is something that I have been working on for over a month now. I probably have more time invested in creating the format/template for the tiles and the drawing key than I do in designing the MkIII. I looked at lots of other plans on many different sites to try and find something that I liked and that would fit the needs of the FT community. In the end, I borrowed some things from other plans, but ultimately came up with my own layout for the tiles. I got a lot inspiration and good feedback from the Rearranging FT Plans thread here on the forums.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Basic Setup (24g 1300kv motor) AUW = 8.46 oz. (368 grams), Wing Loading = 8.46 oz./sq. ft., WCL = 6.8

Advanced Setup (NTM 2826 1200) AUW = 19.2 oz. (545 grams), Wing Loading = 12.5 oz./sq. ft., WCL = 10.1

unstoppablecarl,

I really appreciate the comments and feedback. I'm glad that you like the Key. The crease symbol on the key does have a slight dimple in the center of the box. You probably need to zoom in to see it. Maybe I need to make that bigger/more noticeable?

I'm curious as to why you want to see the guidelines for the spar and the wing/horizontal stabilizer? The BW MkIII uses tab/slot construction that aligns the spar to the wing, and aligns the fuselage to the wing and horizontal stabilizer already. If you follow the plan, the alignment of the parts takes care of itself. I'm not opposed to adding them if it makes things clearer/easier for the builder. I just don't want to unnecessarily clutter the drawing either.

The plans were done in AutoCAD. The tile format is something that I have been working on for over a month now. I probably have more time invested in creating the format/template for the tiles and the drawing key than I do in designing the MkIII. I looked at lots of other plans on many different sites to try and find something that I liked and that would fit the needs of the FT community. In the end, I borrowed some things from other plans, but ultimately came up with my own layout for the tiles. I got a lot inspiration and good feedback from the Rearranging FT Plans thread here on the forums.

After zooming way in I see the tiny dimple. I think increasing the size of the crease symbol would make it more clear. I know working in autocad, making everything to scale is easy but it doesn't need to be to scale. It needs to communicate what that line means.

The lines would help when laying down glue which is not that important. At second glance I am not sure why I thought that was worth suggesting.

When aligning the wing and tail I would like to have more than just the edges I cut to work from. Any imperfection in the top 3 edge cuts of the tail would miss align the connection. Small vertical registration lines would be enough to immediately realize something is not right and allow you to correct before gluing.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
After zooming way in I see the tiny dimple. I think increasing the size of the crease symbol would make it more clear. I know working in autocad, making everything to scale is easy but it doesn't need to be to scale. It needs to communicate what that line means.

I think you'll like the Rev B plan changes I will be posting tonight.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Rev B plans posted. I think I'm done now. I've spent a lot of time working on the format to use for my plans. Thanks to everyone who has provided feedback. I need to stop tinkering with the layout now and work on releasing some of my other designs. :)

If anyone out there actually builds one of these, I'd love to hear about and see some pics.

brian79cj

I just read through this thread and I really like your new style plans. The key is awesome. I want a nice relaxing plane to fly. I watched your video and it seems the MkIII is very stable and has nice slow glide characteristics. Are the tiled plans at the beginning the final plans? If so I want to print and get started. I have 2 people interested in learning to fly and think this is the one to teach on. I have tried the Old Fogey and The Speedster and not sure why they don't like to turn. I'm thinking they are ready for ailerons or more experience in repair ;) ...

I have 2 motors to pick from: Lazertoyz Blue Wonder 2712-12 brushless motor
http://www.emaxmodel.com/views.asp?hw_id=16gt2215/09

which one would work best?

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I just read through this thread and I really like your new style plans. The key is awesome. I want a nice relaxing plane to fly. I watched your video and it seems the MkIII is very stable and has nice slow glide characteristics. Are the tiled plans at the beginning the final plans? If so I want to print and get started. I have 2 people interested in learning to fly and think this is the one to teach on. I have tried the Old Fogey and The Speedster and not sure why they don't like to turn. I'm thinking they are ready for ailerons or more experience in repair ;) ...

I have 2 motors to pick from: Lazertoyz Blue Wonder 2712-12 brushless motor
http://www.emaxmodel.com/views.asp?hw_id=16gt2215/09

which one would work best?

Awesome! Post some pics please and let me know if you have any questions on the build.

If you are looking for a smooth trainer for your friends I would definitely suggest you go with the Blue Wonder motor. It will be slower and a lot floatier. If you can build two pods, try both. I think that emax is pretty close to the NTM i have in the specs for the advanced setup. That is the one I use for combat, but I learned how to fly one the Bloody Wonder with the Blue Wonder 24 gram motor setup.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Sponz, have you given it any though of scaling it up to say a 36" to 40" wingspan?

It's definately worth considering, but I have a couple of other designs that I need to finish up before I start another project. ;) It probably wouldn't be too difficult, but it would require a two piece wing at that point.

brian79cj

Thanks SPONZ, I do want to put in both motors. I will have to build at least 2. 1 for me and 1 for them. Glad they will work.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Rev B plans look good. When I build this I guess I will just add my own registration lines for the tail wing connection.

I'm pretty confident that when you build one, you'll see why I don't think the extra reference lines need to be on the plans.

When I scratch built my FT Bloody Wonders (both V1 and V2) my tails never lined up well with the wing, which bothered me. With the MkIII I designed in features to take out all the guess work. Both the wing and the horizontal stabilizer (tail wing) are tabbed to the fuselage. If you cut the parts out to the plans, they will line up. I have built several and they line up very nicely for me.

If, after you build one, you still think I should add reference lines to line everything up, let me know. If enough people want it, I will add it to the plans.

BTW, if you do build one, can you post some pics please? Thanks.

I'm pretty confident that when you build one, you'll see why I don't think the extra reference lines need to be on the plans.

When I scratch built my FT Bloody Wonders (both V1 and V2) my tails never lined up well with the wing, which bothered me. With the MkIII I designed in features to take out all the guess work. Both the wing and the horizontal stabilizer (tail wing) are tabbed to the fuselage. If you cut the parts out to the plans, they will line up. I have built several and they line up very nicely for me.

If, after you build one, you still think I should add reference lines to line everything up, let me know. If enough people want it, I will add it to the plans.

BTW, if you do build one, can you post some pics please? Thanks.

I somehow missed the slots in the tail for the fuselage. Looking at your build photos I'm not sure how you glued it all. Did you even connect the tail to the wing or just both to the fuselage?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I somehow missed the slots in the tail for the fuselage. Looking at your build photos I'm not sure how you glued it all. Did you even connect the tail to the wing or just both to the fuselage?

Ahh, now I'm starting to see where I have not communicated very clearly about the construction.

In the FT Bloody Wonder (original version 1) build video, you are instructed to tape-hinge the Wing and the horizontal stabilizer (H Stab) together, open up the gap, add hot glue, lat it it flat, allow it to cool, then and add another piece of tape to reinforce the seam. Then the Wing/H Stab assembly is attached to the fuse as one piece (after you make some measurements and figure out where everything needs to attach).

on the BW MkIII, the added surface area where the fuse and the H Stab attach gives it a lot more strength. You do not need to glue the H Stab to the Wing first. After building several MkIII's, the best way I've found is to glue the wing on first. After the wing is in place and set, then apply glue to the fuse and the back seam of the wing to attach the H Stab. I do not add any tape between the Wing and the H Stab.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Putting together my first Flite Test article. Here is the image I came up with for the Thumbnail. Let me know what you think.

BW MkIII Article Thumbnail.png

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor

Great point. I hadn't gone back through the entire build log in a while. I need to put some attention to detail in the build steps to make things much clearer. Would a step-by-step numbered format be something of interest? I would shoot to keep the details for each step rather brief and let the pictures explain most of the details, but at least it would provide each and every step in order.

This is the first build log I have ever done and I've learned a lot by doing it. Mostly what I need to do better. :black_eyed:

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
One very small suggestion: Switch the two horizontal stabilizers in the plans, so 07 is left as the three vertical options 7A, 7B and 7C are. And 06 to the right where the two 6A and 6B options are (or to releave my minor case of OCD - move the 06 parts to the left ;))