Bloody wonder, nice tip

okolloen

Maiden on this yesterday, with a great nose first "landing" after having tossed it around the sky for less than a minute. Went back and checked the instructions, ohhhhh, minimum control surface action needed. Dialed it down to 20%, added some down trim and had a blast tonight.

What can I say, you state it quite clearly, but then I'm just a simple assistant professor :p. Not used to follow instructions. Oh well, thanks for a great plane, it's great fun to fly and I'll be having a blast with this one.

IMG_3010.jpg

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Welcome to the forum! Your Bloody Wonder looks great! I love the trim and think I even have the same prism tape.

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
This plane is a blast. I learned to fly with this plane. It's amazing how much power that little motor has isn't it? It won't do vertical take-off, but it has plenty of power to get you out of a tight spot.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
The wonder is going to be one of my future builds, for sure...looks like a blast to just mess around with!

Jaxx

The wonder is going to be one of my future builds, for sure...looks like a blast to just mess around with!

It sure is. I get 20 minutes of flight time out of a 3S 2200 and my 24g Blue Wonder motor turning a GWS 8x6 prop. Fun little plane.

okolloen

This plane is a blast. I learned to fly with this plane. It's amazing how much power that little motor has isn't it? It won't do vertical take-off, but it has plenty of power to get you out of a tight spot.

I picked up flying again this spring, after watching my father crash one to many planes in my childhood it has been great fun picking it up again now at an age of 43. I love these little planes that with even a tiny motor flies great. This one, with a smallish 2S 500 should actually have the power to weight ratio to do vertical takeoffs. Haven't tried it but it at least seemed to have unlimited vertical climb.

I've used a combination of sims and a superslo28 to build my skills, leading to me being a rudder pilot. Nice change getting to this model with no rudder (though I still try my best to get it to turn using rudder, just to discover that it is to no avail.)

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
+1 for the BW. just maidened mine this past Sunday -- a real blast in the air. I'll post a pick once I've finished her . . . when I can keep her on the ground long enough to do that ;)

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
R/C Slang Definitions:
Lawn Dart \ˈlȯnˈdärt, ˈlänˈdärt\ verb A sudden vertical landing. (see video above)

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Ok, for a first flight that was awesome! I am surprised you kept the plane in the air that long as a first because these are very touchy! Good job!

okolloen

Have to agree with xuzme720, great work on keeping that plane in the air for as long as you did. For a first flight and also a plane that is not dialed in you did an amazing job. You must also have done a great job building that plane because it seemed to be tracking quite nicely.
This is my Bloody Wonder on day two of flying, still working on the elevator trim to keep the nose down in the beginning. Now that I've got that out of the way I can hardly wait for the sun to come back up.

Jaxx

Ok, for a first flight that was awesome! I am surprised you kept the plane in the air that long as a first because these are very touchy! Good job!

If your Tx has dual rate and expo, you can turn it into a very docile plane. I started with a low rate of about 30% on the throws and 35% expo on my 9X. Otherwise, it was too touchy for a beginner pilot. Then, I set the high rate to 50% on the throws. That way I could switch back and forth and practice with the high rate once I gained some altitude and could afford to make mistakes.

Last edited: