FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Thanks Dan. The Challenges have been helping out there. What IS that thing you made for your icon?

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
Thanks Dan. The Challenges have been helping out there. What IS that thing you made for your icon?

haha! it is a rocket! it is called the estes quinstar. quin of course being the prefix for 5. it is a balsa construction. it is very interesting. does not fly too high but the recovery is that it helicopters back down. the momentum of it spinning on the way up also makes it float a bit at the apex of the flight. very interesting.

quinstar on estes site

quinstar pictures on google

I got mine at Hobby Lobby

very fun build. maybe i should make a build post. it was last summer i built it but i did take pictures throughout the process. i also have some flight footage. i think 3 launches.

BossBluff

Simple is fast.
Wing Tip Detailing

A quick note about finishing your wing tips...
For my wings, before bending, I run a 3/4” wide piece of Mylar tape down the full length of the leading edge. I trim it around the contour of the wing. This helps prevent tearing at the intersection where the bottom folds under.
Then, after the wing is glued, I use a mini Monokote iron to smooth out the glue in the creases. Next I take a razor knife and 200grit sandpaper to contour the underside of the wing tip. The heavily undercambered tip is part of the reason these little birds don’t have tip-stall issues. Cleaning up the area works well for me. Looks good. Flies good.

C56EB63A-D32B-4A3C-B958-10A28116A9F2.jpeg

BossBluff

Simple is fast.
The Bloody P-40 Skinned...

This was built with the BETA skini originally posted. As Arth noted a few days ago, it does need a few minor changes before we can call it a final draft. It is complete, and definitely builds well.

I'm hoping to get the final copies posted soon. I'll have a full sheet and a set that you can take to Office Max and have it printed 11x14. There is about a 1/2 in. overlap in the wing center, but that doesn't bother me. (personally) Its way cheaper to print the 11x14's!

There are more skins coming, and for those interested, I may make pre-printed skin sets available on EBay (for those of you who can't get to a reliable print shop.)

Bloody P-40.JPG

Last edited:

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
A quick note about finishing your wing tips...
For my wings, before bending, I run a 3/4” wide piece of Mylar tape down the full length of the leading edge. I trim it around the contour of the wing. This helps prevent tearing at the intersection where the bottom folds under.
Then, after the wing is glued, I use a mini Monokote iron to smooth out the glue in the creases. Next I take a razor knife and 200grit sandpaper to contour the underside of the wing tip. The heavily undercambered tip is part of the reason these little birds don’t have tip-stall issues. Cleaning up the area works well for me. Looks good. Flies good.

View attachment 102345

fancy

BossBluff

Simple is fast.

Indeed! LOL :cool: ...but I ran out of servos!!

It's supposed to be 72°F here Tuesday, and there is no way I'm going to have this ready in time. :black_eyed:
(No, I don't pull servos out of flyable planes. I did that once... not again. I'll wait for more.)

Looking for some maiden-flight action with the new XL-Mustang, and trying a 2204 (800mAh 2S) in the Bloody Thunderbolt. Should be a good day, but this one is going to wait.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
Indeed! LOL :cool: ...but I ran out of servos!!

It's supposed to be 72°F here Tuesday, and there is no way I'm going to have this ready in time. :black_eyed:
(No, I don't pull servos out of flyable planes. I did that once... not again. I'll wait for more.)

Looking for some maiden-flight action with the new XL-Mustang, and trying a 2204 (800mAh 2S) in the Bloody Thunderbolt. Should be a good day, but this one is going to wait.

i want to do that xl mustang as well. i would use a 2213 915kv on 1000mAh 3s with a 9x4.5 prop. (no wonder i was so confused by this stuff when i first started out! that is a lot of confusing numbers and abbreviations!)

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
3.7 is perfect for my micros, may have to give them a shot. Also the xl mustang is awesome! I flew it yesterday at the baseball field at the end of my street. (I am very surprised that it can fly in such a small space) Also the power pack c is plenty of enough power on 3s and a power pack b would certainly do. I was flying at below half throttle most of the time on the power pack c. I will probably fly with the power pack b unless I want speed... also what’s the best prop for speed with the power pack c?

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
So 10 9g found Servos through amazon around $17 be there in 3ish days. plenty of time for next weekend.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X7CJZWM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i got that pack hoping that the reviews of doa were false. unfortunately not so. i used 2 and the third one i pulled out only worked half the time. the gears didnt mesh right for some reason. still a good deal for about $1.70 per servo so im not gonna return it. if more than 3 are broken, though, it gets to be about $2.40 per servo so that's not really worth it. i hope at least 8 work. also they are very greasy in the bag. i would wipe them off, remove the sticker, and hash up with an x-acto before glueing anywhere.

BossBluff

Simple is fast.
3.7 is perfect for my micros, may have to give them a shot. Also the xl mustang is awesome! I flew it yesterday at the baseball field at the end of my street. (I am very surprised that it can fly in such a small space) Also the power pack c is plenty of enough power on 3s and a power pack b would certainly do. I was flying at below half throttle most of the time on the power pack c. I will probably fly with the power pack b unless I want speed... also what’s the best prop for speed with the power pack c?

The XL Mustang flies!! That’s excellent news!! Can’t wait to see some video! ;) I’m hoping to take advantage of the weather and maiden mine this week.

For me, the ideal fast prop for the C Pack is the APC 9x6 Electric (yes, I used a full weight APC nitro prop before I knew there was a difference. LOL Flies well, but throttle response is a little sluggish)

BossBluff

Simple is fast.
Lol and yeah it flies great! The footage is on my build-ruary thread here
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?39178-FTFC-FT-Build-Ruary-by-FoamTest-The-Prototypes/page2
Its on this page, there isn't much flight because its hard to fly with one hand, so its about 4 seconds of flying lol. I can do a better video soon.

ONE HANDED? LOL You know there’s a fine line between hard-core and crazy! A True FliteTest Pilot! :cool:

Super happy to hear she’s a great flyer! My son and I are working on a surprise project... More fun stuff on the way!

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
If it didn't take me 20 years to take my phone out of my coat pocket while flying, and unlocked it, I could have gotten more footage. Maybe I just need more practice lol

Also I can't wait to see the surprise project, Can you give any hints?