BlunderBee 3-4 channel trainer

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
The Builders Workshop was cancelled so I'm going to be working on larger projects for now.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I thought that I'd do some work on V3, and this is where I'm at so far. I do plan to remove any 3d printed parts to make it easier for people without 3d pri ters to make. I'm also thinking on makjng a version with magnets (worked very well on v2, rubber bands (used on v1, would be less durable in a crash but would be slightly cheaper), and a version without a removable wing. I'm also completely redesigning the fuselag to be more like the FT Simple cub's where the power pod slides in to a box, which makes allowd me to mount the landing gear directly to the fuselage. This project shouldn't take too long, it'll definitely be done before the oarts for my other projects arrive.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I've found a new resource on the real life Queen Bee from these places:
I'm completely redesigning the tail surfaces and the wing to make it more like the Queen Bee, I'm also giving it a squatter gear stance than the Simple Cub has, which should make up for the slightly longer landing gear. I think I'll make a 3d printed template to match the hexagonal trim scheme on most Quee Bees, so people can make it with either paint or monokote. V4 may have the more bee like scheme I've talked about earlier. Does anybpdy here know who makes kits/plans for the queen bee and baby bee, because I love that hexagonal pattern on the fuselage.

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I thought that I'd do some work on V3, and this is where I'm at so far. I do plan to remove any 3d printed parts to make it easier for people without 3d pri ters to make. I'm also thinking on makjng a version with magnets (worked very well on v2, rubber bands (used on v1, would be less durable in a crash but would be slightly cheaper), and a version without a removable wing. I'm also completely redesigning the fuselag to be more like the FT Simple cub's where the power pod slides in to a box, which makes allowd me to mount the landing gear directly to the fuselage. This project shouldn't take too long, it'll definitely be done before the oarts for my other projects arrive. View attachment 180855 View attachment 180856 View attachment 180857
Hey man I love the process you are going through to figure this thing out. And the purpose you are doing this for is a stellar plan. Getting involved in others education and helping them experience flight is a good deed in my books.

I like the design of this for a beginner, super simple to build and fly. It would be great to see some video of these maidens.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I finished the tail surfaces and only need to cut ailerons into the wings, along with a slot for the wing to fuselage extension. I've added 1 center servo, instead of 2 to save costs, although now the aileron's won't be able to have any differential programmed in, so V4 will have 2 just to show how it could be made both ways. I also syarted on the gear.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Hey man I love the process you are going through to figure this thing out. And the purpose you are doing this for is a stellar plan. Getting involved in others education and helping them experience flight is a good deed in my books.

I like the design of this for a beginner, super simple to build and fly. It would be great to see some video of these maidens.
I'm planning to make a video talking about V1-V3 after I get V3 flying. I might wait till I complete V4 to make a video if it's completed fast enough

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I was able to have some of the building supppies and materials moved upstairs so I was able to get the ailerons cut, hinged, and linked up. I tested it and it has good throw, maybe a little too much...
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I started work on the fuselage. I made it shorter than scale to give it a more cartoonish look. I made the posterboard plans first, next I'll make the top and bottom skin, then I'll cut out all the pieces on foam board. I have all the parts needed for this planed first flight now besides the 10x4.5 prop, which may be standard or slow fly. I'll test it with a 9" and 10" prop, the 9" prop would reduce the risk of prop strikes, but may not be powerful enough for this plane since it has more drag than the Blunder Bee V1 and 2, and also weighs slightly more since the wing extension will be 4 layers, not 3.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Finished covering the fuselage, I only need to cut the hole for the wing extension and It's done. I installed the servos too and used coffee stirs to keep flex to a minimum.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I see that little control horn keeping the gear in - clever. What's it screwed into?
Ideally into a popsicle stick, but I ran out so for now it's into foam with glue. It doesn't need to bee that strong, only to hold the gear in from sliding out from G forces.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
It's done and ready to fly. I have time to fly on Friday, so I may paint it on Thursday, if the weather's good. I've already decided kn a few changes for V4. I'll make the servos in the fuselage more servicable by mounting them externally and shifting them rearward, I'll change the angle of the landing gear to raise the nose slightly higher, and I'll shorten the wing mount by a centimeter and a half in height, extend it by a centimeter in length, and make it non removable. This will make the plane much more rigid, simple, reliable (if the magnets aren't good the wing will detatch mid flight), and lighter. I found that the wing extension half from the fuselage is near indestructible because of its 4 bbq skewers reinforcing it. The shorter height and longer length will make it even stronger, and more resistant to cartwheels. I may also stick with the single servo ailerons for V4.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Paint's done. I haven't painted anything since the Bixel Wing almost 10 months ago, so it looks kinda bad.
D8D0B2E9-3407-416F-8C63-FFE1C06047F8.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
So the ailerons were inefective and it couldn't turn without rudder, and eventually it lawn darted. It was also quite windy, and every gust the plane would pitch up because of the high wing, which I'm making shorter for V4. This is a professional reconstruction of what it looked like at the field😉 When I make the video of all the Blunder Bee iterations the recording of the crash will be in it.
image.jpg
image.jpg

A postive sign from the crash was that the wing extension from the fuselage was unharmed, and likely would have survived a crash even if the wing didn't fly off.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Any ideas for the trim scheme of V4? It'll be more precise, and I'm open to doing several variations of this scheme. The base coat can be any color, and the hexagons can even be aluinun tape if you come up with a trim scheme for it. I was thinking of doing blue with yellow hexagons.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
So I'm starting work on V4 since I'm waiting for new good weather to maiden a few planes and I've decided to switch to the new simple series power pod. Does anyone know if the v2 power pod in the Simple stick is the same dimensions as the Simple Scout? If not, what are the dimensions of the Simple Stick power pod. Any help would be appreciated :)
Here's a list of all the changes. Basically, everything will be simplified for easier building:
  • Fuselage taper starts further forward
  • Vertical stabilizer is a little thicker
  • Wing is lower
  • Wing mount becomes non removable and 3 layers thick
  • Landing gear slot is longer
  • Increased tolerances for easier removal of the power pod
  • peak of airfoil moves back (was in front 1/4 or 1/5 of the wing before which created problems)
  • Longer ailerons
  • Simplified internal wing mount (where the wing pylon attaches to inside the plane)
  • Larger and simpler landing gear doubler
  • Battery size change from 1500mah to 1300 mah

Last edited: