Boeing B-29 / Bell X-1 Project

royp

A video about an RC model B-29/X-1 project has been posted here:
https://youtu.be/T7naC2g556s

This project was done by Columbia Gorge Aeromodeler RC flyers David Hmiel and Roy Pettit to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the breaking of the sound barrier in October of 1947. Based on an article in the AMA magazine, a model Boeing B-29 was built, which drops a model Bell X-1. This effort has been video documented thanks to the assistance of CGA members Colby Herring, who did the air-to-air video using various drones, and Dan Smith, retired video producer for PBS. Be sure to take a look at this venture that was based on a real historical aviation event. Demonstration flights will be made at upcoming CGA events.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Howdy Roy.

Where in the world do you fly? How long have you been in the hobby? What have you been flying lately?

Welcome to the forum.
—Jim

royp

I fly RC aircraft in the Columbia River Gorge area. I live in Hood River, Oregon. I have been flying RC aircraft since 1970. I've built dozens and dozens of RC aircraft. I currently have 4 multirotors, and am building my 5th, which is a DJI F330 with Mini Mobius camera on a 2-axis gimbal, using a PixFalcon controller. I used to fly in Pattern contests and consider myself a skilled builder and flyer of fixed wing aircraft, however I'm just a newbie when it comes to multirotors. I have built and love to fly my FT Sportster in formation with my friend who also built one. IMG_2755.JPG

Last edited:

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I was learning to walk while you were learning to fly.

Wait! Is that Mr. Bill at the controls? Uh-oh, that can't be a good sign. Nice build.

royp

I have since covered with shrink film the open ended wingtips. Seems to fly and turn better.

By the way, the original landing gear setup on this model is way too flimsy for decent take-offs and landings. Needs to be solid like you see in this picture. FTSPORTSTERWINGTIPS.jpg

Last edited: