Bomb dropper

Dee

Hi everyone,
I'm thinking of making a plane that could carry and drop an object of nearly 50-100 grams. Also I want to limit its wingspan within 1.2 metres. All suggestions are welcomed.
Thank you

kdobson83

Depends on the object. How big? The FT Guinea Pig can carry a lot of weight and has the back door built in meant for dropping stuff. The new but not released yet FT Legacy has built in bomb drop doors as well, and could easily carry an extra 100grams but it doesn't come out till after FF Texas, sometime in November hopefully. You could also build your own dropping mechanism and put it on any plane you want. I had a small dropping mechanism that I had on my Tiny Trainer that I dropped a parachute guy with.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Check out the RC Donkey, it’s got a bomb drop.

Last edited:

Dee

I have a 2212 1000kv motor and 1045 prop. Can I get enough thrust from this combo to lift the payload?

Brett_N

I'd recommend an old fogey with a slightly extended wing. I fly mine on floats which adds about that much weight and it's hardly noticeable with that motor combo.

And a big open fuselage

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I have a 2212 1000kv motor and 1045 prop. Can I get enough thrust from this combo to lift the payload?

That should be enough power to fly, as long as your total weight will be less than 25 oz (700 g) or so.

d8veh

Elite member
It'll fly, but a bit under-powered. It might be OK with a 4S battery and a 9x5 prop. I think a bigger motor would be better.

Brett_N

Underpowered? No..... Using base spec's for the old fogey wing area, and adding 4 oz for the additional weight, he's well within normal limits. Right about in the middle actually. Actually adding 8 oz of additional weight only brings the flight time down to 14 minutes (versus 16)

Attachments

• old fogey.jpg
    old fogey.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 0

d8veh

Elite member
Underpowered? No..... Using base spec's for the old fogey wing area, and adding 4 oz for the additional weight, he's well within normal limits. Right about in the middle actually. Actually adding 8 oz of additional weight only brings the flight time down to 14 minutes (versus 16)
Nice graph, but unfortunately it can't increase the motor's power :( Does your calculation model give the motors output rpm? If so, I can put it in the Phoenix simulator to see how the plane flies.

I normally reckon on about 100w for each 1 pound of flying weight for a reasonably flyable plane. You can use as low as something like 50w per pound for an under-powered trainer plane. I think that it's always better to have more thrust than you need for easy take-offs

Say OP was going to use a trainer plane like yours. He needs to add 100g for the load and something like 50g for the release mechanism, so the total weight would be 750g =1.65 pound. Therefore, 165W would be OK, but I'd personally want at least 200W. It just depends what he wants in the way that it flies.

Last edited: