Bought a new plane...

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Well, ok - it's not really a PLANE - it doesn't have a powerplant!

2019-07-08_1412.png

Picked up an E-Flite UMX Whipit - it's a DLG glider that's put out by E-Flite, small enough to easily fit on my back seat of my Mustang or in the passenger seat, and it flies pretty darned well!!!

I haven't been able to fly it for more than a minute or so of flight time yet but it's pretty nice! I've been doing some gentle tosses off of a small slope we have at the field, just enough to figure out how it'll fly with a simple hand toss so I can get ready to take it out to the beach and slope soar out there. I'm also planning to go to one of the soccer fields around here and try a discus launch to get it into the air, and see if I can't glide it for a bit; I just have to practice where there's no trees. :)

I blame David and Josh for posting up a video of DLG gliders; it made me take a good look at them and now I'm kinda hooked on the idea. :)

Verris

I had one, tried it on windy days with very little success. Then the movers crushed the wing when we moved.

sprzout

Mentor
I had one, tried it on windy days with very little success. Then the movers crushed the wing when we moved.

I know it's not going to be one of those "super gliders" for slope soaring, but I'm still liking the idea of having a glider to throw around. :)

Verris

I know it's not going to be one of those "super gliders" for slope soaring, but I'm still liking the idea of having a glider to throw around. :)
Oh I agree, I definitely wish I still had it to give it another shot. I think one 30% bigger would also be great, and a little easier to use with a slight breeze.

sprzout

Mentor
Oh I agree, I definitely wish I still had it to give it another shot. I think one 30% bigger would also be great, and a little easier to use with a slight breeze.

Oh, most definitely. :) I've seen a couple of DLGs that I wouldn't mind, that are larger than this little one - but they're also 5-6 times the price of the Whipit. :)

Bricks

Master member
Oh, most definitely. :) I've seen a couple of DLGs that I wouldn't mind, that are larger than this little one - but they're also 5-6 times the price of the Whipit. :)

I know the price of DLG`s is right up there, I have been tossing around the idea of getting a DLG, but geeeez I can buy a used complete gasser for less money then most DLG`s

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I know the price of DLG`s is right up there, I have been tossing around the idea of getting a DLG, but geeeez I can buy a used complete gasser for less money then most DLG`s
You could try some of these techniques they seem to be getting really good results using just DTFB
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/dlg-homage-to-flyboa.57439/
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/foamboard-dlgs.55969/[/QUOTE]

sprzout

Mentor
I see a new addiction starting...

LOL I do too. The Whipit's a nice little plane, something small that I can throw in the trunk and just pull together to throw where I can find enough wind or a decent hill to throw it off of. That said, I'd have no problem building or buying a nicer DLG. :)

Brett_N

Sproutz how are you liking this so far? I've seen mixed reviews and have been thinking of picking one up just for the heck of it.

One of my buddies flies a DLG - but I think his was well over $1000

sprzout

Mentor
So far, I like it. :) The only complaints I have are: 1) that the wings are a little thin, so if you try to do a proper discus style launch, you don't want to grip it hard or else you could break the tip of the wing, and 2) they keep using the JST-PH 1.0 connectors for the 1S batteries. That connector style is garbage; I've already replaced it with a JST-PH 2.0 connector, which makes a MUCH better connection (and I have 1S batteries with the newer connection style already).

But for $70, it's a pretty solid plane! :)

Brett_N

Cool beans - may see if they have one at the LHS tomorrow. I've got a ton of 1S batteries for the UMX Radian (that I never fly)

We have a small hill at our flying field - I think this may be a throw it - fly it - walk down the hill and pick it up, walk up the hill and repeat type plane

sprzout

Mentor
Cool beans - may see if they have one at the LHS tomorrow. I've got a ton of 1S batteries for the UMX Radian (that I never fly)

We have a small hill at our flying field - I think this may be a throw it - fly it - walk down the hill and pick it up, walk up the hill and repeat type plane

You can definitely do just that with it. I have a little depression/dirt area near our runway that goes down 3-4 feet, and there's usually a bit of a breeze that blows through it. I stand at the top, huck the glider with a simple toss, and swoop it around as much as I can before I have to "wash, rinse, and repeat". :) I'm thinking I'll practice some discus launches this weekend, maybe even a tiny bit of slope soaring, from one of the local parks that's got a hill at one end and several (hopefully) empty soccer fields. :)

sprzout

Mentor
So...

I went to the field today with the Whipit, and I had a GREAT time with it. I had started out with. Just doing some simple overhand throws, trying to get it to fly. It wasn't the best...and then I decided to try a sidearmed discus toss.

WOW.

I had it rocketing skyward, and once I had it about 20 feet up on the slight gentle slope we have at our field, I was suddenly sloping and hovering in the breeze like a hawk or seagull on a cliff! Oh, I'm definitely gonna be doing more glider work, and I'm probably going to be investing in a larger DLG in the future. 😁