Bound but no response from Aura!

This is a continuation of someone else's thread:
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...2-receiver-and-aura-5-lite.66016/#post-655646
Made it my own so I can change "Solved" to "Help".

I've reset the Aura board, plugged it all in again and it bound for me, first time. But just like the first time, the receiver seems happy (bound) but I get no response from my sticks. No servo movement.
The Aura has all the lights flashing - blue green red.
There is so little documentation I can turn to. It's more like "plug it in, bind your receiver, wiggle your sticks."
Has anyone faced this problem? Please help.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Am I correct in assuming you are powering it from a BEC and not just USB power? Do you have a meter to check the voltage on the servo pins? Can we see a close up picture of the Aura with all the wires connected? What RX are you using? (exact make and model)

LB

Am I correct in assuming you are powering it from a BEC and not just USB power? Do you have a meter to check the voltage on the servo pins? Can we see a close up picture of the Aura with all the wires connected? What RX are you using? (exact make and model)
Spektrum DSMX SRXL2 receiver
DX6e
FPV UBEC Micro 5V 3A / 12V 2A Adjustable BEC UBEC 2-6S
I don't have a voltage meter, but the BEC did run my other basic 6-ch Spektrum Rx just fine.
The Aura sure has enough power to blast me with flashing red blue & green lights. And I bound the Rx just fine through the Aura. I suspect it isn't a voltage issue.
71BKE2ASyAL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

IMG_1765.jpg

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Hmmm. I don't have any of the newer SRXL2 gear. All my older DSMX RXes work with no issues. (Spectrum & LemonRX). All my FrSky Rxes have worked fine too. Wonder if it is an issue with newer protocols? Have you tried updating to the latest Aura Firmware?

Hmmm. I don't have any of the newer SRXL2 gear. All my older DSMX RXes work with no issues. (Spectrum & LemonRX). All my FrSky Rxes have worked fine too. Wonder if it is an issue with newer protocols? Have you tried updating to the latest Aura Firmware?
Tried that. Interesting it only offered me v1.13, but in the FT vid they updated to 1.14. That was the first time I plugged it in, so I figure I'll give it another try.
Well we'll get it to work one way or another, but you know what? I'm now thinking about the Spektrum 6-Channel AS3X Sport Receiver. It has a built-in stabilizer with three modes of response. If we were all flying $150, $250 models then we'd sure be putting a lot into this hobby. So it's only money - if I get the Spektrum one then it's just basically bind & go.
Was also thinking maybe I need to have one of the other radios besides Spektrum but I seriously do not want to get into a learning curve of programming. Been there, done that with other interests. Especially if the radio might feel to me like a cheap plastic toy. I'm just saying if I can afford to stay with Spektrum, it's no hassle and I can't go wrong.

One thing is in a vid FT says "first thing is to make sure your transmitter is up to date". I'm getting a darned memory card to follow the ridiculous procedure to register my Spektrum so I can check for updates.
Another thing is that I followed Andres' wire technique to get it to bind, because it wouldn't bind on the B port with the wire with two tiny white connectors. I changed one out to a servo connector like Andres did. It bound. But I didn't do the rest of the stuff he did because I don't care about telemetry. I fell like I should check if I missed something to do on the radio that he did.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Make sure you are on Aura firmware v1.14. That is the release that added support for SRXL2. There was also an update to the configurator for me when I checked my Auras that was able to be applied directly from the configurator. You will be able to verify TX/RX functionality from the configurator as well.

Aura Firmware v1.14
  • Available since mid-August 2020 via Aura Config Tool update followed by Firmware Update procedure
    • Available for FT Aura 5, Aura 8, Aura 8 Pro, and Aura 12 Pro
  • Common Changes:
    • Add support for SRXL2 Receivers SPM4650 and SPM4651T
    • Add Aura Telemetry Tune feature to allow SRXL2 Receivers to adjust Aura settings directly from the transmitter
    • Add support for JR Mode A
  • Aura 8 Specific Changes:
    • Add support for F-100D Super Sabre SPNP
LB

1619357310817.png

Last edited:

Hvon11

I used the same spektrum DSMX SRXL2 that you have but I soldered wires to the circuit board pads. Your wiring appears to match mine in the photo, i.e signal is brown, V+ is orange, V- is black. Had to update my DX6 xmtr to version 2.08, Aura Config Tool to 1.1.15.0. and Aura5 firmware to v1.14. After all that I could not get the rcvr to bind using the Aura5 bind button. I had to press and hold the SRXL2 bind button while powering on to bind. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I used the same spektrum DSMX SRXL2 that you have but I soldered wires to the circuit board pads. Your wiring appears to match mine in the photo, i.e signal is brown, V+ is orange, V- is black. Had to update my DX6 xmtr to version 2.08, Aura Config Tool to 1.1.15.0. and Aura5 firmware to v1.14. After all that I could not get the rcvr to bind using the Aura5 bind button. I had to press and hold the SRXL2 bind button while powering on to bind. Hope this helps.
Looks like that'll hopefully be the fix, to update both my radio and the Aura firmware. There's really not much else to do to it!

randyrls

Randy
One thing I noticed with the SRXL2 receiver is that the Throttle cut must be set to -110% (No higher). I couldn't get it to bind until I did this. I did get it to bind and now the next thing is to start exploring "Aura Telemetry Tuning" aka changing the Aura flight parameters on the transmitter. I'll start another thread for this though..

Hvon11

One thing I noticed with the SRXL2 receiver is that the Throttle cut must be set to -110% (No higher). I couldn't get it to bind until I did this. I did get it to bind and now the next thing is to start exploring "Aura Telemetry Tuning" aka changing the Aura flight parameters on the transmitter. I'll start another thread for this though..
I had some trouble doing Aura Telemetry tuning via the transmitter. I posted a note on it and will go look for it. If memory serves me right, flipping the Flight mode Switch through all 3 modes to enter the tune mode is a bit flaky. I will get back to you soon.

Last edited:

Hvon11

Found my note: You have to throw the Flite Mode switch through all three positions quickly. That is to say, position 1, 2 and then 3 and then back quickly. I was only doing Pos 1 and 2 originally and it did not enter Tune mode. Hope this helps.

randyrls

Randy
Thanks Hvon; Yes; and That displays the 'Aura Telemetry Tune" screen. BUT I can't change anything. I may need to setup a new model in the DX8-G2 transmitter. I started a new thread to keep things straight.

I'm not talking to myself. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :)) I had to create a new model with the new firmware on the transmitter to get the Telemetry Tune to function properly.