Brand new and already messed something up (Parkzone T-28 Trojan)

Follyfox

Hello,
I'm getting into RC planes finally, and as a first plane, I found someone sell me a cheap T-28 trojan with the controller the plane came with.
The problem is, I cannot figure out if the controller is even working with the plane. The online manual's directions did not work as far as I could tell.

My question then, is there a resource out there that would help me trouble shoot this? I know I'm not smart with it, but I just can't seem to find any material explaining it. Nor can I find any real problems people were speaking about it. Since this is second hand, I just don't know if I was missing something obvious or critical.

Thanks for dealing with me, and if I made a faux pas, just tell me off and I'll learn.
=FollyFox

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
this is probably useful:

here is how you can check your receiver to plan ->

JasonK

So, do you get beeps from the motor/ESC (the ESC uses the motor as a speaker) when you connect the battery?
Do your control surfaces move when you move the sticks?

"Corpse"

Legendary member
Hello,
I'm getting into RC planes finally, and as a first plane, I found someone sell me a cheap T-28 trojan with the controller the plane came with.
The problem is, I cannot figure out if the controller is even working with the plane. The online manual's directions did not work as far as I could tell.

My question then, is there a resource out there that would help me trouble shoot this? I know I'm not smart with it, but I just can't seem to find any material explaining it. Nor can I find any real problems people were speaking about it. Since this is second hand, I just don't know if I was missing something obvious or critical.

Thanks for dealing with me, and if I made a faux pas, just tell me off and I'll learn.
=FollyFox
The controllers we use run different "Protocols". It's kinda like microsoft vs apple. What you need to do is figure out what protocol you receiver is, then make sure your controller is compatible. If you post pictures that'll help so we can see which receiver you have. (y)

Follyfox

The controllers we use run different "Protocols". It's kinda like microsoft vs apple. What you need to do is figure out what protocol you receiver is, then make sure your controller is compatible. If you post pictures that'll help so we can see which receiver you have. (y)

Thank you for the help so far. I like researching, but I just got in over my head. Here are 3 pictures. I had 2 different controllers, the one that has the crystal at 54 is the one it came with. The third picture is the plane.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    516.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    422.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    461.4 KB · Views: 0

Follyfox

So, do you get beeps from the motor/ESC (the ESC uses the motor as a speaker) when you connect the battery?
Do your control surfaces move when you move the sticks?

Okay, I need to preface this as well. I plug in the battery. It beeps and then gives me cell count. Then about a minute later every servo goes nuts and spazzes.

Thank you!

JasonK

the first 2 photos (6/5) are the ESC. Photo 4 is the receiver. I don't see anything in that image that tell you what the channel the receiver is.

JasonK

need to look around that to see if there is a crystal for it. the 17/54 on the transmitters are the crystal channel numbers on the transmitter, hopefully one of the 2 TXes match your receiver.

Given that they controls are spasming all over, it would appear the receiver is just getting random noise. You could try turning on both TXes (at least 10ft apart from each other and the plane) and seeing if the plane surfaces are stable, if so, then one of them is correct. If not, either either of them are correct, or there is something else as a problem.

Follyfox

This is all the indication that was on it unfortunately. I opened the receiver up and it had a big 9 sharpied in, but this does not seem to be anything.

Follyfox

need to look around that to see if there is a crystal for it. the 17/54 on the transmitters are the crystal channel numbers on the transmitter, hopefully one of the 2 TXes match your receiver.

Given that they controls are spasming all over, it would appear the receiver is just getting random noise. You could try turning on both TXes (at least 10ft apart from each other and the plane) and seeing if the plane surfaces are stable, if so, then one of them is correct. If not, either either of them are correct, or there is something else as a problem.

Oh I know what one goes to it. I am sorry for the confusion. The 54 goes to it, but it was missing two buttons so I got another to see if I could replace/fix anything in it.

JasonK

it could mean that that receiver is for channel 9 (and your TXes are 17/54) You might need to get a new TX/RX pair, which might be good anyways, as the old channel based transmitters can have TX collisions.

Follyfox

it could mean that that receiver is for channel 9 (and your TXes are 17/54) You might need to get a new TX/RX pair, which might be good anyways, as the old channel based transmitters can have TX collisions.
Okay, is there a place to get info on that? i'm more than willing to go down that route.

Hoomi

Master member
Oh, boy, that's old school. You might save yourself a LOT of headaches, if you just replace the TX/RX combo with a modern 2.4Ghz digital. No interference, no channels to worry about, better battery life, and the cost for a basic starter set-up is pretty darned reasonable now.

Follyfox

I'm looking at it, I have a frsky x9 lite. But it seems like frsky does not have receivers for planes? the only thing i'm seeing now is i'm dumb and i'm missing information. sorry.
Thank you Hoomi though and thank you JasonK.

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
If your transmitter is a FrSky x9 lite "ACCESS" protocal then its runs on its own proprietary they dont even like to work with the last Frsky ACCST protocal I do not know much about your transmitter but do know many of us have a bunch of incompatible receivers in the drawer over this issue
frysky does infact have plenty of receivers for planes, I actually bought the type of receivers you need and I cant use them on my Frsky ACCST protocal

I have a r9 slim+ OTA ACCESS and a R9 Stab ACCESS research these on the Frsky site
the R9 Stabilized receiver is the plug and play type receiver, the r9 slim+ OTA is a mini long range reciever wireless updating, this one is more advanced and requires some soldering.

contact frsky and see if these two are infact compatible with your Transmitter and you can have these I have for $20 I paid over $60 for them, they are just going to waste in my drawer....but research to make sure they are compatible Im not making that decision or research for you......the subject still ticks me off :)
I have the old school Frsky ACCST .....and thats what I know about this Frsky protocal mess

edit:
I have the manuals too but if your interested the manuals are available on the Frsky site you can check into them

Last edited:

Follyfox

If your transmitter is a FrSky x9 lite "ACCESS" protocal then its runs on its own proprietary they dont even like to work with the last Frsky ACCST protocal I do not know much about your transmitter but do know many of us have a bunch of incompatible receivers in the drawer over this issue
frysky does infact have plenty of receivers for planes, I actually bought the type of receivers you need and I cant use them on my Frsky ACCST protocal

I have a r9 slim+ OTA ACCESS and a R9 Stab ACCESS research these on the Frsky site
the R9 Stabilized receiver is the plug and play type receiver, the r9 slim+ OTA is a mini long range reciever wireless updating, this one is more advanced and requires some soldering.

contact frsky and see if these two are infact compatible with your Transmitter and you can have these I have for $20 I paid $60 for them, they are just going to waste in my drawer....but research to make sure they are compatible Im not making that decision or research for you......the subject still ticks me off :)
I have the old school ACCST .....and thats what I know about this Frsky protocal mess
Will do, this x9 seems like such a good thing, but I can't get it to work with anything.
Anyways, I'm looking into compatability.

Thank you