Help! bricked Matek F405 CTR (twice) ... What happened??

Ludodg

I installed and tried an Matek F405 CTR twice but got both "bricked" after connecting the esc's to it. Still do not know what I did wrong.

I connected the matek via USB to my PC, flashed the latest version of betaflight, configured everything, checked receiver-connection, ... everything fine ... untill I soldered on the ESC's. To test those I connected a 3S-battery to the board ... and nothing.
(I used DJI ESC's: DJI Z420 Takyon 20A)

After that, I used a spare Matek f405, again USB, tested and configured everything... everything seemed to be working fine, connected power (3S Lipo) all remained Ok. Then I soldered on the 4 ESC's (DJI Z420...) ... dubblechecked the connections ... still everything ok via USB ... re-connected the Lipo .. and Fc was dead.

It seems to me that the DJI esc's or one of them triggered something??
I triple-checked all connections and all seems ok.

I then remembered that another fc, an old Naze32 v6 also bricked or died on me previously when trying to connect this to the ESC's

I now switched to a Skyline32 and a simple Multistar 4in1 ESC and all goes perfect ...
I previously mounted and installed a naze32 before in an older quad and never had any issues, so I know how the connections shuld be made on this board.

But I really would want to know ...

1. what went wrong on the matek's and the naze??

2. Is there a way to revive or try to revive the naze32 or matek?

3. Are the DJI Z420 -esc's know to cause issues??

help, advice, insight will be much appreciated.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I would test each ESC individually using a regular Rx or servo tester and a smoke stopper. Chances are one of them is shorted internally.