Bridge Inspector version : FTFC'18 WWII Vought XF5U "Flying Flapjack" designed by SP0NZ & LocalFiend

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
So I was intrigued by this design and since it won this years competition I have been strongly considering the build to bring to FFO (FliteFest Ohio).

Well Josh Orchard heard of my interest and started 3D printing the plastic bits and some bombs for me. So then I got started too.

At this point I have printed the plans and cut my first sheet of foamboard.

115C5B8F-B5D2-4408-96FF-07E3117BE525.jpeg

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Cool man, you're really going all out on the cutting there. Lightening holes and all. I'll be watching, let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

The holes are easy when you know that you don’t need to be exact. I didn’t fret about staying on the lines for them to speed the hand cutting up a bit.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
One of these would look great in an airshow, just sayin...
↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
I saw your pic on Instagram, man this is epic. Cant wait to see how it goes. Low cost entry into balsa style building? Where does one get the 3d printing files? Just wanted to look at them.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Looking good man, you've got the hardest bit out of the way. The rest is just some patience waiting for glue to fully dry.

I saw your pic on Instagram, man this is epic. Cant wait to see how it goes. Low cost entry into balsa style building? Where does one get the 3d printing files? Just wanted to look at them.

The build thread has links at the bottom of the first post to all the associated files, plans, build instructions etc. I was trying to make the best looking foamboard design I could without going quite as far as a full balsa build does. Was certainly a ton of trial and error, but a big disc does make a lot of it easier.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...-flapjack-designed-by-sp0nz-localfiend.36142/

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
They've been calling for months now... I feel sad for them.

I used a DamoRC Technique Last night building a prototype model. It's cone shaped so to hold then end I stuck a CD over the one end as a tape roll over the other. Those with the tape on the seam did the trick while the glue dried.