Bring back the old days of Flight Test!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Holy freakin cow... I thought the FT videos were getting too anime big eyed screamy with over emphasized excitement. ..

I was WRONG!

I couldnt get past the intro to the second segment of this show. I give the new screamy anime chic title to these guys.. do people actually sit thru entire episodes of this stuff? I really hope these guys are neutered so these genes are not passed on.

If FT ever gets this bad at some point I would hate to say it but Im outtie.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
You know looking back at the last few months i would say FT has stepped things up since the beginning of the COVID lockdown. The did scramble a bit like everyone else in the beginning but i think they are back to pumping out content. They have released a couple of designs with the MS Mustang and the Stick, build vids for each, plus all the factory models. They definitely have gone more commercial as of the past year but they are growing and that is to be expected.

It definitely doesn't have the same feel, like they are more detached since Chad Kapper left, and Bix looks at the cam like he is being told to smile. But i wouldn't say it is out of the norm for the position they are in. I do agree there have been changes but it will never be the same bunch of friends that set this up to begin with. Its now a corporation.

Scary

Totally agree, but that's what happens in business world start small things grow more employment over head . The passion turns in to a job

CorsaiRC

Holy freakin cow... I thought the FT videos were getting too anime big eyed screamy with over emphasized excitement. ..

I was WRONG!

I couldnt get past the intro to the second segment of this show. I give the new screamy anime chic title to these guys.. do people actually sit thru entire episodes of this stuff? I really hope these guys are neutered so these genes are not passed on.

If FT ever gets this bad at some point I would hate to say it but Im outtie.

THIS IS THE WORST THING EVER!!!!!!!!!!

Hoomi

Master member
If I understand how it works correctly, the content creators can choose whether to allow mid-roll ads in their videos, or to limit the ads to before and after the content. The ads themselves are chosen by YouTube, and there is a growing sentiment that YouTube is purposely inserting longer and more annoying ads, trying to push viewers to subscribe to their premium service.

Content creators only get revenue from the ads if the ads are allowed to play. When the ads are skipped, there is no payout. I have to wonder if that also works for YouTube's payments from the ad creators, or if the advertisers pay YouTube anyway. This, of course, is different from the episode sponsors, who pay to have the creators promote their product or service within the video itself.

I know that it costs the Flite Test crew to make the videos, both in supplies for the builds, camera equipment, etc., and that monetizing their videos helps them meet expenses. That said, it gets rather old when a 13 minute video is interrupted (poorly, I might add) every two to four minutes for two ads. One video I watched recently (not a FT one), was about 12 minutes long, and was interrupted for an ad that was nearly an hour long (yeah, anyone out there that WOULDN'T skip that?).

This is ridiculous, and YouTube needs to pull their heads out of the sand before they completely alienate their audience, which will also hurt the content creators. Most of us refuse to be badgered into the premium service, and I suspect that if this persists, another video hosting service will arise to attract the dissatisfied customers. YouTube will go the way of the dinosaur. Hopefully, they won't take creators like the Flite Test gang with them.

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
If I understand how it works correctly, the content creators can choose whether to allow mid-roll ads in their videos, or to limit the ads to before and after the content. The ads themselves are chosen by YouTube, and there is a growing sentiment that YouTube is purposely inserting longer and more annoying ads, trying to push viewers to subscribe to their premium service.

Content creators only get revenue from the ads if the ads are allowed to play. When the ads are skipped, there is no payout. I have to wonder if that also works for YouTube's payments from the ad creators, or if the advertisers pay YouTube anyway. This, of course, is different from the episode sponsors, who pay to have the creators promote their product or service within the video itself.

I know that it costs the Flite Test crew to make the videos, both in supplies for the builds, camera equipment, etc., and that monetizing their videos helps them meet expenses. That said, it gets rather old when a 13 minute video is interrupted (poorly, I might add) every two to four minutes for two ads. One video I watched recently (not a FT one), was about 12 minutes long, and was interrupted for an ad that was nearly an hour long (yeah, anyone out there that WOULDN'T skip that?).

This is ridiculous, and YouTube needs to pull their heads out of the sand before they completely alienate their audience, which will also hurt the content creators. Most of us refuse to be badgered into the premium service, and I suspect that if this persists, another video hosting service will arise to attract the dissatisfied customers. YouTube will go the way of the dinosaur. Hopefully, they won't take creators like the Flite Test gang with them.

That might be part of the reason that they started doing these long sponsorships.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I haven't watched the duct tape plane all the way through yet but I feel like the gift wrap and stuff went closer to the right direction. I have been watching them since they were only a few years old, so my version of the "old FT" is more like when they went to Joe Nall, did reviews, and did projects like the rocket plane and flying bricks instead of giant planes. I don't think that FT can go back to how they were but I feel like the last couple videos are better. I actually just watched a couple minutes of the duct tape video and that might be the first new FT video in a while that I watch all the way through. Personally I think that this started when FT moved to Edgewater and master series planes, but tbh I really don't mind. I might not watch as many FT vids anymore but they still bring people into the hobby and the other things that they do outweigh the videos in my mind.

THIS IS THE WORST THING EVER!!!!!!!!!!
Oh I couldn't watch any more of those guys a long time ago. Way too In Your Face! for me. Too focused on production value (which I think is part of this FT conversation - production value). Click-throughs, viewers who watch through to the end, etc. Maybe FT is getting better at the YouTube game, and that's what has generated this thread, because we recognize it.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Oh I couldn't watch any more of those guys a long time ago. Way too In Your Face! for me. Too focused on production value (which I think is part of this FT conversation - production value). Click-throughs, viewers who watch through to the end, etc. Maybe FT is getting better at the YouTube game, and that's what has generated this thread, because we recognize it.
Yeah I agree with that. They are learning about what younger people want to see and they are doing it. When it comes to dude perfect I can definitely watch their videos but they aren't even close to the top of my list. It isn't the loud yelling that gets me but the sheer stupidity sometimes. If you are gonna do videos about airplanes and flying just make sure that you know what you are doing instead of sticking a foam glider on a car and expecting it to just work. (This is all about Dude Perfect to be clear, FT isn't that stupid lol)

Yeah I agree with that. They are learning about what younger people want to see and they are doing it. When it comes to dude perfect I can definitely watch their videos but they aren't even close to the top of my list. It isn't the loud yelling that gets me but the sheer stupidity sometimes. If you are gonna do videos about airplanes and flying just make sure that you know what you are doing instead of sticking a foam glider on a car and expecting it to just work. (This is all about Dude Perfect to be clear, FT isn't that stupid lol)
I hear you. Also just the the YouTube metrics. They're making real income just off the videos. YT provides very detailed metrics about a lot of aspects of your videos, and the better you get at the process the more viewers you get and the more you earn. Planes or no planes, and whoever your viewer base is, if they create their vids a certain way it can blow up your site. I'm certain FT has a guy who's purpose includes production value in a big way, and spends much of his time tracking these things every day and adjusting video production to increase the numbers. But yeah I agree, certainly the biggest chunk of their target audience is the younger crowd, new to this.

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
They make me want to vomit profusely

flyingkelpie

Elite member
The sad part was that several videos ago, the sponsorship was my favorite part. It was the one where Josh was cooking for his family, and it was a nice break where he wasn't praising overstreet and jumping with excitement over another giant plane with an aurora 5 in it and dji fpv.
Yeah. I liked the old Flite Test. I guess sponsors always jump in and can easily degrade a channel.

Bricks

Master member
Me personally I believe they are doing what they need to do to survive and grow, FlightTest is supporting a lot of employees and there families, not to mention equipment from laser cutters to products to build the planes they showcase..