Bring back the old days of Flight Test!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
The sad part was that several videos ago, the sponsorship was my favorite part. It was the one where Josh was cooking for his family, and it was a nice break where he wasn't praising overstreet and jumping with excitement over another giant plane with an aurora 5 in it and dji fpv.

Sponsor content relevant to FT (family activity) or RC is fine.. all that other useless junk is just wasting minutes of our lives for nothing. No add should ever run more then 15 seconds for short videos and no more then two max. You tube has gotten far worse then TV ever was. At least they wait til after everyone is in bed to waste air time on infomercials like that last over 4 minute home made ad Alex did. That actually angered me after I clicked ahead 3x and he was still yakking about that game.

alan0043

"Can We Make This GIANT DIRT PILE FLY??" I hope that doesn't happen lol. But seriously though I want to know what happened to it too.

Hi Guys,

I think we will never know about the dirt pile is because that was the old home on Flite Test. The new home is the golf coarse at Edgewater now. I think there is about 15 miles between the to sites.

Al

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
"Can We Make This GIANT DIRT PILE FLY??" I hope that doesn't happen lol. But seriously though I want to know what happened to it too.

Well I was told back in the days in the weapons department that there was no problem big or small that could not be solved with the proper amount of plastic explosives. So yeah I'm pretty sure we could with a bit of effort get that dirt pile to fly. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

google does not update that often does it?
if it does, wow, they have nothing better to do. time to paint that message on my roof.
Oh, nah I guess not. (?) But here in the City I'm often surprised to find the street view of something updated recently. (Even without a global pandemic, stores change faster than Google can keep up with them sometimes.)
But when you check the satellite view and find the dirtpile is gone then they really did make it fly! Then it'll be in an upcoming video.

Piotrsko

Master member
Well I was told back in the days in the weapons department that there was no problem big or small that could not be solved with the proper amount of plastic explosives. So yeah I'm pretty sure we could with a bit of effort get that dirt pile to fly. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Funny we said the same over in minuteman missiles except we substituted nuclear for plastic. Although flying isn't the intended result. It will disappear along with a lot of other stuff.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Funny we said the same over in minuteman missiles except we substituted nuclear for plastic. Although flying isn't the intended result. It will disappear along with a lot of other stuff.

Well like they say close only counts in Horseshoes, Hand Grenades, and Thermonuclear Warfare. So I guess fly or vaporization is close enough. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

tamuct01

I think they need to do a rerun of the flying Cozy Coupe. Maybe even fly it in Flite Fest combat!

I do think the Cozy Coupe needs a revisit. I remember watching the original video thinking, "That's going to fold a wing in 2 seconds," and I was correct. I liked the design, but I don't think they spent much time thinking about the engineering. I don't want to say they phoned it in, but it felt that they had promised the community they would do the Cozy Coupe, so they quickly threw it together flew it, crashed it, and called it a day. I think they've done better with the recent designs incorporating carbon and wood to reinforce the DTFB.

Joe Carpino

As I sit here, scrolling through FT YouTube videos (no new one this week), I can’t help but feel a longing for the old days of FT...
New videos were coming out usually twice a week (as advertised) and they were more about the RC community than the YouTube advertising. The old style without all the production and flashy, over animated reactions was more in tune with what I liked to see. They even reached out within the community and showed what others were coming up with, like the P-38 with working Fowler flaps. Now we have click bait videos and slow rolling of new products, not to mention that there isn’t any communication with the forums anymore.

I’m not trying to be super negative on FT, just not thrilled with where things are at right now. I’m still on these forums every day because this is whee I feel like things are still the way they should be. Great content with FRIENDLY communication! I just would like to see FT get back closer to their roots and get back involved with us.
I completely agree! I think what’s missing is the Vlogs, they stopped for no reason. And every video now that they do feels the same.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I completely agree! I think what’s missing is the Vlogs, they stopped for no reason. And every video now that they do feels the same.
Did you post a wall of text I just read and was going to like but change it? It disappeared after I hit like and got the oops message that post no longer existed?

Intashu

Elite member
Did you post a wall of text I just read and was going to like but change it? It disappeared after I hit like and got the oops message that post no longer existed?
That was me.

It was a long ramble and rant, and after posting it I realized I just don't like complaining out loud that much in public.

The key points of it were that I feel like Flite-test as a whole severely lacks good communication with it's fan-base. Both in when to expect content (Both kits and when to expect the resource plans released) And the apparent abandonment of the forums to the more dedicated or loyal users on their own website. That would remedy most user's complaints. There will always be people upset, they can't please EVERYBODY, but there'd be less general frustration.

I'll bite tongue on the ranting again however.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
That was me.

It was a long ramble and rant, and after posting it I realized I just don't like complaining out loud that much in public.

The key points of it were that I feel like Flite-test as a whole severely lacks good communication with it's fan-base. Both in when to expect content (Both kits and when to expect the resource plans released) And the apparent abandonment of the forums to the more dedicated or loyal users on their own website. That would remedy most user's complaints. There will always be people upset, they can't please EVERYBODY, but there'd be less general frustration.

I do that too at times. The key is dont care, say your peace. if its to long people just skip it which generates less feedback and drama... but wheres the fun in that huh? :LOL: or like my posts they just auto skip them.

Mr.Grinch

That was me.

speak your mind! Especially since I agree with you!!!

cosmocop

Agree also with much of this.

Forum presence is all but gone.

Video's are getting repetitive (although I enjoyed the baby sky-hook thing). I remember not liking the idea of the vlogs at the time, but find myself missing them now. It would be nice to see Josh Scott again (or David or Chad - even on a Zoom call or something).

The whole plane plans/Overstreet thing. Apparently there are a bunch of planes that have been prototyped (and for quite some time). They show up in Overstreet's thread on here and even in some of the FT vids (in the background). However, the story is that he will only release the plans through FT. Yet, very little seems to be coming out. Reading a couple forum threads - the whole thing sounds kind of convoluted to me.

It's not all bad. I'm glad they are still around and thankful for their work for the hobby. I also understand they are more of a business now than before. I just miss the FT of old.

clolsonus

I'm sure they are tracking their own video metrics to see what types of videos do better than others. I imagine there is a lifespan/trajectory for viewers and the channel as well. For them it's no fun to do the same things over again just with different people. For newer viewers just finding the channel, everything is new and great. There are probably way more new comers than us life time members who have been watching since the very early days.
Personally, I'd love to see more frequent videos that aren't as polished/complete. I'd love to see "here is what we are working on today" type video. But I do understand the current formula of 1 video project per week from start to finish. That also has a lot of merit. They have to work within themselves and it's a lot of growing stress over time to publish on a regular schedule.
As a dad myself, I think it is especially cool to see Josh's son getting so involved. I watch my kids having access to more opportunities and excelling at things far beyond what I could ever do and it's just a cool part of life.