Bring on the Tubby Cubby!

flitetest

Administrator
Admin
HEY everyone!

Just reading the comments and seeing the enthusiasm for this plane... GETS ME EXCITED and I have already seen the plane, flown the plane ETC! I LOVE the excitement around this plane from the community and we are hoping to be able to release it here by the end of the month.. HOPEFULLY! ;) With that being said, everything you guys are saying is spot on... THIS is going to be a GREAT FT PLANE! ITS simple to BUILD, simple to FLY and simple to MOD! I am looking forward to seeing the CREATIONS that come from this design! ha You all are the reason behind this build too... we wanted something that could be built in under an hour or 1.5 hours, something that was easy to fly, but could be turned into something a bit more advanced if needed AND something that we knew ANYONE getting into the hobby could enjoy!
Thanks for all you guys do and for inspiring us DAILY with all the work and effort you put into to make this hobby and these forums GREAT!

I will update you all if there are any "juicy" details that arise at any point! ;)

Blessings,
Stefan

alan0043

HEY everyone!

Just reading the comments and seeing the enthusiasm for this plane... GETS ME EXCITED and I have already seen the plane, flown the plane ETC! I LOVE the excitement around this plane from the community and we are hoping to be able to release it here by the end of the month.. HOPEFULLY! ;) With that being said, everything you guys are saying is spot on... THIS is going to be a GREAT FT PLANE! ITS simple to BUILD, simple to FLY and simple to MOD! I am looking forward to seeing the CREATIONS that come from this design! ha You all are the reason behind this build too... we wanted something that could be built in under an hour or 1.5 hours, something that was easy to fly, but could be turned into something a bit more advanced if needed AND something that we knew ANYONE getting into the hobby could enjoy!
Thanks for all you guys do and for inspiring us DAILY with all the work and effort you put into to make this hobby and these forums GREAT!

I will update you all if there are any "juicy" details that arise at any point! ;)

Blessings,
Stefan

Hello Stefan,

Thank you for your reply. It would be great to hear any "juicy" details. The beast news would be to hear about the release of the plans.

Rookie from Stark county,
Al

Michael9865

Elite member
HEY everyone!

Blessings,
Stefan

I hope it does happen by the end of the month, at least by Flite Fest. We could order our Speed Build Kits for Pick Up at Flite Fest. :D

SheppO

Whoop - Junior 60 vibe underway over here - based on a tiny trainer wing...
Screen Shot 2017-06-14 at 17.30.29.png

alan0043

I hope it does happen by the end of the month, at least by Flite Fest. We could order our Speed Build Kits for Pick Up at Flite Fest. :D

Hi Everybody,

It might be pretty cool to have a Tubby Cubby build off at Flite Fest. And also have a couple squadrons of Tubby Cubby's on patrol over the flight line.

Just some ideas for a fun,
Al

na1pir

My girlfriend needs something trainer like similar to this to advance her flying abilities. She really enjoys her nutball:) I have spare b and f sized motors I would build her one as soon as plans come out.

uLightMe

Tubby Cubby for me as well

I'm excited about this plane as well. Last build "super bee" next build "Tubby Cubby" !!!

can't wait.

More details on the FT Podcast episode 164. Tubby Cubby aka FT Simple Cub!

I've been lurking on FT for awhile looking for that first trainer kit for my son and I to tackle on summer vacation and get into the hobby. I've been looking for something slow with high wings, and a little bit of style wouldn't hurt. I was thinking FT Old Fogey (liked the look and slow speed), but the forums seem to have mixed opinions on it.

I absolutely loved the look and the size of the "Tubby Cubby" from the sneak peak on the vlog. It looks like it would be a ton of fun to learn to fly at the park.

I'm hoping that they have enough initial production to meet the demand. I'm actually hoping that FT does an all-in-one trainer bundle like the FT Trainer and FT Explorer, since I don't have any gear yet.

Datum

Well I got impatient and made some rudimentary fuselage plans.

planspreview.PNG

Part of me wants to say I'm a copy-cat, but honestly I just need some good inspiration sometimes. Seeing the ingenuity and creativity at play makes me excited!

Here's my take on a fuselage:

- Allows for 6 inch chord wings. It's slim I understand, but it is easy to simply build a wing to reduce chord for attaching to the fuselage. This is so if I make it a motorglider-style plane with higher AR, I don't have an inch or two of exposed innards/awkward wing mount leftover.

- Rounded joints for extra strength. Been playing around with this idea in Solidworks. I usually have hard angles but I believe gently curving them should retain much more strength, particularly in lateral shearing of the fuselage. Think of how it's easy to bend a box out of shape- but curved edges should strengthen it for little cost.

1200px-Shear_stress_simple.svg.png

- Rear Fuselage "notch" should also improve that fuselage stiffness. It's not rounded because foamboard doesn't like to bend "outwards," as I don't want to remove paper on the outside of the plane. Thus the hard notches here and for the "cockpit" in the front.

View attachment pc_drawings - 3view.pdf

basslord1124

Master member
Could we get a few little inside details of the specs of the plane. I know I heard it mentioned in the video of using the B pack. What about fuse length and wingspan? It kinda looked like the wingspan was around 30" or close to it.

Datum

Could we get a few little inside details of the specs of the plane. I know I heard it mentioned in the video of using the B pack. What about fuse length and wingspan? It kinda looked like the wingspan was around 30" or close to it.

I'm betting to keep it simple and one-piece, they'd use just 30" for the wing since that's the max width of the foamboard.

Okie

Flite Test Aviatrix
I'm betting to keep it simple and one-piece, they'd use just 30" for the wing since that's the max width of the foamboard.

Most of there wings are two piece wings joined in the middle it's probably going to be closers to 40 inches

TrentC

HEY everyone!

Blessings,
Stefan

Thanks Stefan. I have been waiting for a good dtfb cub design. Can you tell me if it will resemble a J3 Pieper Cub? If so perfect! If not- Perfect- will convert it to a Cessna 182 then.

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

Any new news yet ? Is there any release date for the plans ? Come on Tubby Cubby, Tubby Cubby, Tubby Cubby,

Al

Hunter

I just bought me some crisp new sheets i've been waiting for a plane like this for a while. I thought the bushwacker would fit the bill but it turned out to be a little more 3d than I wanted. The table is cleared and the wife is aware so lets do this thing!!!