Bring out the de-icing truck!

earthsciteach

I met up with pilot-294 to do some flying today. It was snowing lightly and temps were right on the verge of freezing. We both had a decent drive to get to where we were, so may as well fly!

Pilot-294 brought his brand new HZ UM Mosquito and 1 flight old Parkzone F4U corsair. He flew both beautifully! It was awesome to see how excited he was at his success! Way to go, man! He certainly did not look like a beginner flying today!

I had not seen the PZ Corsair in person before and have to say how impressed I was with it! Yes, it can be a decent first airplane in my opinion! Its a great looking airplane and flies like a high-wing. 2 thumbs up from me!

But, as impressive as the Corsair is, I think the Mosquito is even more so. We flew on the leeward side of a hill, meaning the air was coming DOWN the hill. Its a light airplane, so the wind should toss it about easily. But the little thing flew like a dream! It cut through the wind and was crazy stable! He generously allowed me to fly it. By that time, the batteries has cooled down quite a bit. The ESC was cutting out, but I was able to experience enough to know this is one awesome little airplane! Even in snow (building up on the planes, btw) and wind, I was still able to dead stick it with ease. Ugh, my checking account may take a hit... I am pretty sure both of these planes should be in my hanger!:cool:

My performance was not quite as good. I flew my 50mm Mig-15 first. She was cruising around nicely until I brought her in for a pass, climbed out letting it stall. I do this all the time, but this time she went into a bona fide spin! I recovered within 3 rotations, but she was too low to recover by then. I did manage to have her level when she hit the ground (coming directly at us about 12 feet away). Damage is pretty minor. The right wing and aileron were cracked. I am sure the snow iced up and added weight/disrupted airflow to the point she couldn't recover from the lowish level stall.

Then I tried to maiden my scratchbuilt "Eyeball 1.5." I wasn't able to get it ready before tossing it in the car, so I added the control rods on the trunk of my car in the snow. I took a guess at where the cg should be (I was wrong). So, upon first toss by P-294, she pinwheeled. Tail heavy. I hastily added more weight (to the tune of another 850 mah battery-my brain was frozen at this point). That weight, combined with the snow that was quickly accumulating on the plane made flight pretty much impossible. Two more attempts before packing it in. No damage, but I need to spend more time prepping it. I have confidence that it WILL fly, now!

Finally, broke out Ol' Reliable, my HZ Super Cub. Fly it with an 8x6e prop for the first time (only flown on 8x4e in the past). I was impressed with the climb rate with the new prop. Flew her around for a while and noticed her performance got "weirder" as time went on. When I landed, the wings and tail were covered with ice! She was still flying though! What an awesome airplane!

Pilot-294

it was a phenominal day! and the pz f4u and um mossie would definitely make an awesome addition, maybe next time we fly ill keep the batteries where they stay warm so you can really get a round in with the little bird. hopefully we both have good luck next time. but thanks again for taking me to the park to fly! really appreciate it! oh and i dont actually have to work tomorrow, so im up to flying if you end up going to camp hill. :) let me tell you tho, i felt like an expert (i know im not) but i felt like it today compared to my normal flying! my first fully successful day of flying ever.

earthsciteach

Heck, its as much about confidence as anything! One of the things that you obviously have over many "beginners" is a knowledge and a "feel"of flight. I'm stopping by Hidden Hanger tomorrow before heading to Camp Hill. I'll pick up a cowl for you, if they have one in stock. I'll give you a call after my son's dr. appt at Hershey Med. That will probably be around 11:00 to noon.

Its your turn to take on the gremlins tomorrow! Ha ha ha!!!

Pilot-294

haha the grmlins are all mine dude. and you dont need to pick up a cowl for me, but if you insist i cant really argue, lemme know how much it is and ill pay ya back.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Finally, broke out Ol' Reliable, my HZ Super Cub. Fly it with an 8x6e prop for the first time (only flown on 8x4e in the past). I was impressed with the climb rate with the new prop. Flew her around for a while and noticed her performance got "weirder" as time went on. When I landed, the wings and tail were covered with ice! She was still flying though! What an awesome airplane!

When all else fails, the cub will come through :applause:

Fishbonez

Awesome day aye. Glad to see Teach has a Flying buddy. Pilot your challenge is keepin that guy sane and ADD in check :black_eyed:
Teach: Now lets get the ole eyeball in the air. Did you get the floats?
Pilot: Glad to hear of your success man I was pulling for you. I love the Corsair and am glad you had the courage to go for it. The Corsair is definitly my next plane. :cool:

earthsciteach

Ah Bonez, I pushed the eyeball before she (I) was ready. Good news is, absolutely no damage was done to her! The cg location is weird because of that "aesthetic" wing that goes over top of the eyeball is tough to figure into the equation. I just completely took a guess today. It was off, of course! Nice thing is, I did have enough control to have confidence that she WILL fly!

I'm picking up the floats tomorrow! Could have used them today. Crap, I hope they are in stock!
And, please don't put control of my ADD on P-294! That is WAY too much for anyone to deal with-just ask my wife! LOL!!!

BTW-He is USAF bound in a couple of months.

Fishbonez

Ah Bonez, I pushed the eyeball before she (I) was ready. Good news is, absolutely no damage was done to her! The cg location is weird because of that "aesthetic" wing that goes over top of the eyeball is tough to figure into the equation. I just completely took a guess today. It was off, of course! Nice thing is, I did have enough control to have confidence that she WILL fly!
I know she will fly I have no doubt. You are far too smart for it not to be successful. I tried to get my DVB dart in the air the other day but still no success. I will try again soon. If I cant get her up I am mailing her to you to figure out for me ;)

I'm picking up the floats tomorrow! Could have used them today. Crap, I hope they are in stock!
And, please don't put control of my ADD on P-294! That is WAY too much for anyone to deal with-just ask my wife! LOL!!!
LOL thats funny I dont care what anyone says that funny

BTW-He is USAF bound in a couple of months.
Great career choice. Please let me know what your AFSC is going to be and if you have any questions about your experience coming up I will be glad to answer. I am considering Recruter duty so I could use the practice LOL

Pilot-294

well heres a question, whats afsc stand for? and if your considering recruiting good luck to you! my recruiter says its fun but he would rather go back to paving and construction (what he did and also what I'm doing) (<afsc? lol) but its not bad. maybe a personality type?

and teach, i took on a gremlin for ya this morning already, put my mossie up cus i couldnt wait, went to our retention pond where its open in our development, and the winds are really weird there. overshot my landing and nicked a tree, luckily no damages, but on the second run i left the gear on and i smashed the sidewalk with my left motor. but don't worry, i already fixed it and I'm bringing her with me! got to love foam safe CA lol :cool:

Fishbonez

well heres a question, whats afsc stand for? and if your considering recruiting good luck to you! my recruiter says its fun but he would rather go back to paving and construction (what he did and also what I'm doing) (<afsc? lol) but its not bad. maybe a personality type?

AFSC = Air Force Specility Code
if you are going into Civil Engineering (CE) "Dirt Boys" you would be in the 32E Carreer Field
I am a Vehicle Maintainer and spent some time in Red Horse and know "Dirt Boys" well anf you are right Dirt boys have their own personality. :cool:
I am thinking of doing recruting because I could use a Special Duty under my belt to make SMSgt but you dont need to worry about that for some time.

and teach, i took on a gremlin for ya this morning already, put my mossie up cus i couldnt wait, went to our retention pond where its open in our development, and the winds are really weird there. overshot my landing and nicked a tree, luckily no damages, but on the second run i left the gear on and i smashed the sidewalk with my left motor. but don't worry, i already fixed it and I'm bringing her with me! got to love foam safe CA lol :cool:

Wishing I could join ya but the winds are far to hard here. Beleive it or not I could go for some snow right now at least very little wind to fight off. Enjoy you guys should make some vids of your flights would love to see them

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
I believe that this is what this site and the hobby is all about. 2 people that didn't know each other and share the same passion for a hobby. Got together and shared the hobby and looks like what could turn into a great friendship.

Great stuff guys and thanks to FliteTest for making it happen!!!