Broken motor wire

jpot1

Elite member
It has been a good two year run, but swapping out this motor today and this happened. Is there anyway to fix without rewinding the motor?

IMG_0342.JPG

Turnigy d2826/6 2200kv motor.

ViperTech

You can re solder the wire together, you have to clean the wire because it is coated with a thin insulation, just sand the wire to clean copper color and solder back together, should work fine.

jpot1

Elite member
You can re solder the wire together, you have to clean the wire because it is coated with a thin insulation, just sand the wire to clean copper color and solder back together, should work fine.

Thanks ViperTech. Quick follow up just to make sure I'm not misunderstanding. I can just sand all the strands, twist together and solder?

jpot1

Elite member
Success! Soldered together and motor starts up fine. Now since so much of the wire insulation was removed there was no way to put heat shrink on prior to soldering. What is the best way to now cover the exposed wire? Just use electrical tape or try to find a larger size heat shrink that will slide over the bullet and still shrink down?

ViperTech

You can use tape or find larger heat shrink, harbor freight good source for it or if looks don't matter hot glue will work as a insulator and you can color it with a sharpie marker.

fixnfly

I would recommend removing the bullet connector so that you can put proper heat shrink on it. Then, you can reattach the bullet connector like normal.