Brushed quad build

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
Today while digging through my spare parts bin I found an f3 Evo fc and an Rx to go with it.
So out of boredom, I decided to make a brushed quad. I got all the setup out of the way and am now moving on to building the quad itself. My issue is that I don't have any motors and there are too many options so I don't have a clue on what to get. Any suggestions on what to get? Here are more pics of the fc
. IMG_20210110_202255675.jpg IMG_20210110_202247393.jpg IMG_20210110_202242259.jpg

Last edited:

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
Still trying to figure out which motor to get but I built the frame in the meantime. I didn't want to spend much money on this build so I improvised! I built the frame out of plywood and stained it with dark oak wood stain for the fun of it! I'm hoping that it'll be a good flying quad when I'm done, I don't fly brushed so I don't know what to expect. Anyways hope you like the frame and let me know what you motor would work best with the setup!
IMG_20210110_231411125.jpg IMG_20210110_230955534.jpg

Last edited:

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
Did some more research for what motor to use and I came across a 1s quad that uses the same board from Buddy RC, so I ordered the same motors. I'm hopeing that they'll be a good fit for this build. I also found some grommets to mount the motors with too. Anyways my next step will be to make room for the motor and the mount in the frame and wait for the motors to come in.
IMG_20210111_175517740.jpg IMG_20210111_175310558.jpg IMG_20210111_175247030.jpg
I was able to find a motor of the same size of the motors that I bought in order to size the grommets.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Way to stick to your project and search out what you needed. I don't and have not used brushless quad stuffs so I been quietly watching. I also am not a fan of quads and non standard frames as that alone brings its fair share of issues and possible set backs.

Keep going with this to see what you can do with it as I am interested as well and you WILL learn a few things on this path for sure.

Good luck mate.

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
Way to stick to your project and search out what you needed. I don't and have not used brushless quad stuffs so I been quietly watching. I also am not a fan of quads and non standard frames as that alone brings its fair share of issues and possible set backs.

Keep going with this to see what you can do with it as I am interested as well and you WILL learn a few things on this path for sure.

Good luck mate.
Thanks! I've already learned a lot with this build with configuring the fc and Rx in betaflight. As for the oddball frame, the reason for it is because of cost (I have a ton of plywood laying around) and for the look. I wanted something different from all the carbon CNC cut frames so I built a hand built 1/8th in ply frame! I'm just hoping that it won't cause too much trouble though.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
There is a reason those frames are the standard and I will let you learn why. You still can find success in what you are doing so keep at it. I remember a while back helping someone work thru making a frame from flattened pvc pipe and that flew reasonably OK after tons of working thru issues.

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
It Flies!
IMG_20210114_161834624.jpg

Just flew it in my basement and it doesn't fly half bad. I still have to install the Camara but that won't be too hard. I will also need to do some tuning but for what it is, I can't complain.

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
Did a little tuning, put the Camara on it and it Flies great!
IMG_20210114_235554716_HDR.jpg

I setup a course in my basement and put the little thing through its paces in acro mode and it It handed perfectly. It Flies a little wired in auto level but I don't use it anyways so it's no big deal. I'm looking forward to getting it in my backyard and really see what it can do! Overall I like flying it more than my indutrix plus because the acro mode on my homebuilt one feels more like a brushless quad than the inductrix does.
View attachment IMG_20210115_001033328.jpg IMG_20210114_235612859.jpg
I have a few questions though,
1. Is there any benefit other than power to going 2s?
2. Will I burn my motors by going 2s?
3. Is my current battery a good suite for this setup?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
That there is ONE of the lessens I did mention earlier. See if you can find the other two main reasons good carbon fiber or stiffer materials are used.

When you get it back up drop a video of it buzzing around I have been waiting to see this lil bugger fly.

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
That there is ONE of the lessens I did mention earlier. See if you can find the other two main reasons good carbon fiber or stiffer materials are used.

When you get it back up drop a video of it buzzing around I have been waiting to see this lil bugger fly.
Will do, although I don't have a DVR yet so I might have to post a video of it flying LOS. As for the frame, I kind of suspected it would break so I already started on a new frame.

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
All fixed up! I'll have a video tomorrow. View attachment 189505
just some cellie landscape video close enough to see and hear it would be fine. Dont need FPV really. Just wanna see how stable it is.

Well... I totally blew it... I guess I got distracted by all of my other projects. Anyways, better late than never! I hope I was able to capture the sound of the thing. Here's the video of the test flight after the wreck! (It's pretty unstable in the flight because I'm flying in ground effect)

Last edited:

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
I finally did this little quad in! I knew the plywood frame wouldn't last, although if I didn't try a reverse between a fence like in joshua bardwells vid on the dji, it probably would still be flying, but, if you're not crashing, your not flying! Anyways I just got acsses to a 3d printer so I think I'm going to design another frame and print a few spares!
IMG_20210319_115504572.jpg