Brushless ESC. Help!

SkySlayer

ARC=Almost Ready to Crash
Hi guys i just bought my first brushless motor and ESC and now I need to solder the 2 together because they didn't come with plugs for each other, anyway the speed control is a 20A with 3 black wires that are supposed to go to the motor(which has earth,positive and negative) so my question is which black wire to the positive and which black wire to the negative and then i should know the earth/neutral?

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    970.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    941.5 KB · Views: 37

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
The 3 wires are for controlling each 'phase' of the motor, which determine how the motor turns. If you change two plugs, the motor will spin the other direction.

The battery connector is obviously connected to the red and black wires on the other end.

SkySlayer

The 3 wires are for controlling each 'phase' of the motor, which determine how the motor turns. If you change two plugs, the motor will spin the other direction.

The battery connector is obviously connected to the red and black wires on the other end.
My question is which wires do i solder to where?

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
My question is which wires do i solder to where?

The order does alter your spinning direction. So you have to find out which way it's supposed to turn; test the motor without soldering two of the cables. If the motor is running the wrong direction, then you have to switch two cables from the ESC to make it go the other way.

Number the cables 1, 2 and 3 with scotch tape. Any order. Solder the pair labeled 1. Don't solder the other two. Test the motor without the prop. If it is turning the wrong direction, do the following:

1-1
2-2 This will make your motor turn in one direction.
3-3

1-1
2-3 Two cables switched, this will make it change direction.
3-2

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
You need to put some bullet connectors on there so you can disconnect the ESC from the motor or change the wires in case the direction is wrong.

He said he didn't have one, which in a case like mine, would postpone the build a month. But you could also go to your hardware store and check for alternatives.

SkySlayer

Ya in my case it would be delayed until 17 August(the day my school starts its holiday)because I live in a diff country from my hobby store(my country has NONE!)
And i think ill see what i gt

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Soldering the wires directly will work just fine once you have determined which ones go where.
You just loose the ability to "quick disconnect" the motor by not using the 3.5 bullet and barrel thingies.
Like Andre said. Solder one lead at first, then test to see where to solder the other two.
Motor direction is switched by swapping any two of the three wires.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
If you don´t want to solder ...
35-810_m.jpg

Also good for many other things like wheel stopper and push rod adjuster.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
4mm banana plugs are pretty common and are used a lot for stereo connections etc.
The 3.5mm are less common but if you have a bunch of xt60 connectors lying around, you can just heat up the plastic and remove the copper pieces, there are two 3.5 bullets inside the male connector and two 3.5mm barrels inside the female connectors

teflyer

Full Circle
I am a little late it seems, but another alternative is hardwiring the motor to the ESC. Basically exposing a little more wire on the motor and ESC and securely wrapping the wires together and then covering the exposed wire with electrical tape. That is what I used to do when I did not have any connectors and it worked.