Brushless Motor not making full power

rcpilot2

Hi all, so I have had this emaxx 1180kv motor that I got with the FT Power Pack C about 2 years ago, and its been my main motor for all my planes since. But lately it seems I haven't been getting as much power from it. It has a different 30a esc behind it than the BLheli, I cant remember what kind, and I'm using an Eflite 2200 3s. I had a plane that I built early on, and recently I built another, but it just doesn't have the same power. It used to cruise at about half throttle, and now I'm flying 3/4 to full throttle the whole time. It also seems much louder than my dad's carbon cub, which has a similar motor. Is it just time to replace, or is there something else?
webcam-toy-photo1.jpg
This is the airplane with the offending power system.

mach1 rc

Master member
Hi all, so I have had this emaxx 1180kv motor that I got with the FT Power Pack C about 2 years ago, and its been my main motor for all my planes since. But lately it seems I haven't been getting as much power from it. It has a different 30a esc behind it than the BLheli, I cant remember what kind, and I'm using an Eflite 2200 3s. I had a plane that I built early on, and recently I built another, but it just doesn't have the same power. It used to cruise at about half throttle, and now I'm flying 3/4 to full throttle the whole time. It also seems much louder than my dad's carbon cub, which has a similar motor. Is it just time to replace, or is there something else? View attachment 151650 This is the airplane with the offending power system.
Nice plane. This probably isn't the reason but I had i had that problem and it was because my battery was over loaded or it was getting wore out.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
More then likely it would be a battery or ESC issue. If you have a voltage tester which hooks up to your balance plug then you could do a quick test on your battery. With the ESC plugged in to the battery in the plane and prop on, attach the tester to your balance lead and do a full throttle run up. Watch the voltages at full throttle and see if one cell drops drastically compared to the others then you have a bad battery. As far as testing the ESC @Wildthing might have a good test for ya

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
is there a generic way to calibrate?
That works with most ESCs? I cant remember what kind it is
Yeah. Turn off plane and transmitter (tx). Set throttle to full. Power on the airplane (without a prop). The motor should beep a few times and then set the throttle to 0. Then you should be good to go!