Brushless motor to replace RS280 in GWS Pico Tiger Moth?

Markess

Need help selecting a motor!

I'm just getting back into the hobby, and one of my first goals is to finish the GWS Pico Tiger Moth I started about 20 years ago. Other than the motor being missing, it's held up very well in the box. I'm still getting my head around brushless motor naming though and I'm seeing divergent and sometimes conflicting advice on the internet on motor selection. So, thought I'd ask....

• Original power was an RS280 in a gearbox driving a 9x7 slowflyer prop.
  • Plane itself is 800mm (31.5") wingspan and 215-275g (7.6-9.7oz) flying weight
With original power & NiCd batteries, the plane was known to not fly well in anything but calm air. I figure that with more power for the same weight from brushless and LiPo, maybe mine can do better?

Most of what I read makes me think I could use something like a FT 1806 or 2205? Although, if I'm to believe an article I found on the AMA site, I only need about 50w at 100%, which would make even the 1806 too much for my needs. I'm so confused.

To top it off, I was gifted a few brand new 2S1P 650mah batteries, but not sure if that's enough voltage for this model, or if voltage differences (i.e. using 2S vs 3S) are linear in terms of thrust.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Tench745

Master member
Without running all the numbers, 1806 or 2205 sound like good motors size and power-wise on 2S. They are comparatively high KV, so you will need to run a smaller prop.

Markess

Without running all the numbers, 1806 or 2205 sound like good motors size and power-wise on 2S. They are comparatively high KV, so you will need to run a smaller prop.
Thank you! Advice like, "you will need to run a smaller prop" is just the kind of thing I don't have in my knowledge "kit bag" yet. My brain is filled with all sorts of detail on dated and irrelevant glow power, and I need to replace it with stuff that's more relevant! Electric is so versatile now, I don't see myself ever flying glow power again.