Brushless UMX Pitts?

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
I almost bought one this weekend...I was torn betweem the Beast 3d and the pitts..I went with the Beast 3d.

Being the first AS3X plane i have flown, it's certainly a bit different. When you put it on a heading, it stays on that heading. Not sure how else to compare the two other than that the Beast is meant for 3d (which I suck at, but I am trying) so it can around in a heartbeat..Set your expos to about 30%. It just was a wierd experience not having to correct it.

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
Just noticed you're in SW ohio, If you are near centerville, The hobby shop there had about a dozen of the Pitts, but no batteries...I am sure that they will get more.

Corbarrad

Well, the umx Musang isn't brushless as far as I know, so score one for the pitts. The Pitts uses the eflite 2- cells, though, so your nano qx batteries wouldn't do you any good. I own one of the original umx beasts and that can be a handful, since it doesn't have stabilization. Personally, I'm mighy tempted to grab the Pitts as well, but I already have a boatload of horizon umx flyers (and have yet to total any one of them)... the original umx Mustang was my first tractor plane and I got along fine after just gliders and a single, ill-fated pusher.

Good call Corbarrad on the batteries. After looking closer at my local hobby shop, i am leaning back in the mustang direction simply based on batteries. i didnt realize the pitts used a different battery. i have a boat load of the 1S 150 batteries around for my nano QX.

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
Not to complicate your decision, but I just picked up 3 batteries from value hobbies for $3.55 each. CraftyDan turned me on to them for a different product, but here is a link to the batteries...
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-sys...o/gforce-20c-180mah-2s-eflite-micro-umx.html

They have them on sale now for $2.90. I haven't flown one yet..just got them in the mail, so i can't speak to their quality yet...for for $3 each....compared to $12-$15, I have to give them a shot.

Corbarrad

Wow. that's about half of what I pay for decent clone batteries (in Germany). The ones I usually get are 200mAh 25C though, for around $8. I fly 180mAh 30C in my mqx, mainly because the 150mAh 25C clones don't cut it. they work fine ror the Mustang and Corsair, though. (Did I mention I have too many umx planes?)

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I use these packs regularly on my UMX Mig15, with a 3 min alarm (fairly typical flight time . . . dang EDFs ;) ) and I've got plenty of time to cruise back in when it goes off. It'll go about 4.5 min before the LVC kicks in (if you love your batteries, don't let this happen!), which is fairly close to stock.

To say the least, I'm very pleased with them.

Corbarrad

I've had two flights with the mig so far. both ended way before the 3 minute mark with me sweating a lot and the plane needing minor repairs. either it really doesn't like wind or somethings wrong with the stabilizer...
Anyway, doesn't it come with the 200 as stock? I'm always afraid to fly with less than the specified capacity.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
It seems like a lot, but the packs I've flown rated to 180, 200 and 220 perform roughly the same . . . and 3 min is enough. I *might* squeeze 30s more out of the largest pack over the smallest . . . but why? She's a twitchy lill bugger (which I like), so it takes about as much mental energy to fly it for 3 minutes as a Bloody Wonder for 8.

I enjoy it, but I also enjoy the brief break it takes to step back to the table and swap out the pack.

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
I got one flight on the geforce battery, same flight time same erractic 'look at me!! I'm flying 3d on accident" style. Both the geforce battery and the eflite battery were at 7.98v at the end of my timer (guess I should set my timer longer). In the air i didn't notice any difference.

Physically, they are different sizes, the eflite is thicker and shorter and weighs 12.something grams, the geforce 11.4grams. The geforce was warmer than the eflite immediatly after the flite.

OK, So i have completly sent 2 threads off track this week, so I need to direct this back to the op. Did you end up getting the Pitts or the Mustang, Alex...or both:applause:?

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
oops...got a picture of the batteries, as well...
IMG_20140611_204732_936(1).jpg
Okay...I don't know how to remove the incorrect photo I uploaded...So ENJOY! SATURN!
(Wow! Now this thread is really off track, Sorry Alex)

Attachments

• IMG_20140518_212614_362(1).jpg
    IMG_20140518_212614_362(1).jpg
    30 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
well... i ended up getting the last bit of parts for a scratch built h quad and fillings for my sons teeth. you know, nothing says happy fathers day like unexpected dental work.

long term, i am going with the pitts hopefully by the end of the summer. also, kind of glad the thread go hijacked because i no know where to get some cheap batteries.