Buddy Box questions

earthsciteach

I am in need of a buddy box setup for my RC club. For the most part, kids are flying planes like the HZ Champ, PZ UM P-51, and HZ Mini-Cub. No need for a buddy box with these, but they are now stepping up to larger planes.

I have a Turnigy 9x and, from what I've read, it would need to be modified to use with another TX. The other transmitters we have are limited to the cheap 2.4 GHz boxes that come with RTF planes. I don't want to modify my TX.

I doubt I can simply connect two transmitters via cable without them being compatible. What are my options?
Thanks!

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I use a trainer cable with my Spektrum stuff and my brothers Futaba only, but from what I've read you pretty much have to stick with the same brand. Spektrum uses basically a headphone cable, the Futaba ones are really specific though. Another 9X might be your best option.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Find a couple DX5's, they're sold cheap, or even given away.

It just uses a stereo cable to connect them.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Find a couple DX5's, they're sold cheap, or even given away.

It just uses a stereo cable to connect them.

The DX5e's are now cheaper than the DX4 that comes with the new planes. I have one that only gets used as a buddy box now or I'll let someone fly my cub with it while I'm flying something else. It's a perfectly good radio, just low on features.

fred0000

Find me one, and I'll pay for the shipping!

PM'd

I think another 9x would work, as far as I know one of the moduals would have to be removed to work, or there is a mod you can do to get them working without having to remove any moduals

Klonas

So if you just unplug the 9x module and connect it with another TX buddysystem will work? Would it work with JR mx16?

earthsciteach

Thanks, guys! I need to make somebody else buy a Turnigy! I'll keep an eye out for DX5's as well. Wouldn't bind getting a couple of PZ UM BNF's, anyway.

Pilot-294

You know teach, the park zone corsair that you know and love so well comes with the dx5 in rtf, haha just kidding!

earthsciteach

Yeah. I am acutely aware of that. But the parts order that I submitted to HeadsUpRC today is going to put me in the dog house for a while. Wasn't it Bonez that said, "better to ask for forgiveness than permission?" I'll blame him. ;)