Budget LED light strips?

Hoomi

Master member
P8251725.JPG
I found these at Walmart yesterday for under $5. About 6.5' of LED light strip, self-adhesive, and the topside coated with something like silicone caulking. Uses a small remote control for power, color, and function. For such a cheap price, I figured I could grab a set and see how they might work for lights on a plane.

Anyone looking for some cheap lights to play with, check your local Wallyworld, in the electronics department. These are sold to be "mood lighting" on the back of television sets.

P8251722.JPG

P8251723.JPG

P8251724.JPG

P8251726.JPG

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Sweet! I just got a hobby king programmable led light strip like Josh and David used in their night kraken they did. I’m putting it in the wing of my simple soarer and also decking the tail and itty bitty fuselage with small leds to make my own diy version of the “night radian”. I was just wondering what battery pack you plan to run them off if since 5v is pretty far off from any lipo, and a portable usb charger weighs quite a bit...

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Sweet! I just got a hobby king programmable led light strip like Josh and David used in their night kraken they did. I’m putting it in the wing of my simple soarer and also decking the tail and itty bitty fuselage with small leds to make my own diy version of the “night radian”. I was just wondering what battery pack you plan to run them off if since 5v is pretty far off from any lipo, and a portable usb charger weighs quite a bit...
Couldn't you run 5v from an aux plug from your ESC?

Headbang

Master member
Couldn't you run 5v from an aux plug from your ESC?
Yes if you have 5v or under to the rx (lots of my planes are 6-8.4v to reciever and servos). 5v leds will burn out quick if given much above 5v. Wiring to 1s off the balance plug will work for sure. A separate bec set to 5v would work.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Yes if you have 5v or under to the rx (lots of my planes are 6-8.4v to reciever and servos). 5v leds will burn out quick if given much above 5v. Wiring to 1s off the balance plug will work for sure. A separate bec set to 5v would work.
I knew there was a way, as I understand it the ESC shuts down at 5v doesn't it?

Headbang

Master member
I knew there was a way, as I understand it the ESC shuts down at 5v doesn't it?
Escs that have a built in bec are either set at 5v from the factory permanently, or can be programmed up to a higher voltage. The bec(battery eliminator circuit) regulates the voltage to your reciever. This negates the need to have a second battery for your reciever. Saving wieght and reducing a setup in flight prep. You can also get stand alone bec's that are programmable and offer higher amperage for bigger and more servos. This is how I power leds normally.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Escs that have a built in bec are either set at 5v from the factory permanently, or can be programmed up to a higher voltage. The bec(battery eliminator circuit) regulates the voltage to your reciever. This negates the need to have a second battery for your reciever. Saving wieght and reducing a setup in flight prep. You can also get stand alone bec's that are programmable and offer higher amperage for bigger and more servos. This is how I power leds normally.
Well I know who to show me how to set up mine ;):cool:

Bricks

Master member
For planes I do not use the water proof strips as they are really heavy and I use 12 volt that way I just plug them into my battery balance lead. If you have the water proof ones and want them to be lighter the silicon covering will just pull off with a little work.

If you are running more then 3s Polulo makes a very tiny voltage regulator about the size of a dime that is adjustable for around $3 if I remember right..

Just an example

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264438753036?var=564095826390&hash=item3d91c7270c:g:dBoAAOSw3IxdXk~g