Budget servos

3DMad5

I Like SBach 342's
I was wondering what you guys thought of using cheaper, Chinese made and branded, servos on planes. Many over on RCG seem to be unconditionally against their use, even in small planes. I just thought that with hobbyking sponsoring Flitetest (which is a great show, I watch it every week), people here might have different views on the issue.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
It's not fun when your hard work goes down the drain because of a cheap servo - yet HobbyKing has the HXT900 9gram servos, perfect for everything up to 1.2 meter wingspan, and only $3 each.

3DMad5

I Like SBach 342's
Those were exactly the servos I had in mind. How do you thing they would work on a 41" 3D plane?

nibnobsam

I like big leccy planes
Mentor
I use the metal gear ones, which I think are best for 3D as they can hold a huge control surface over and come with longer arms

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor

earthsciteach

The only issue I have ever had with cheap servos are the gears stripping in a crash. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. Of course, that is the result of a crash, not the cause. I've never had a servo fail in flight.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
The only issue I have ever had with cheap servos are the gears stripping in a crash. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. Of course, that is the result of a crash, not the cause. I've never had a servo fail in flight.

Very true, Teach. It's definitely possible to fly a 3D foamie with a HXT900 - but when you lose power in a hover and hit the rudder into the ground, it's likely to strip the servo.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I'm of the school that you should have something to absorb the impact that's cheap and easily replaceable. I'd rather have the servo strip on a crash than rip the control horn + half the control surface off when I touch down on the rudder/elevator.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I use a break-off mechanism in my tricopter. I usually crash flat on the ground - which puts strain only on the center plates and the yaw servo. The break-off part is hot-glued in place, and it saved my new servo. Of course it's strong enough to hold up in the air!

Bollie

I started of just using the cheaper servos but I am slowly replacing them with decent one's I put a lot of time into an profile extra 300 about a month a go and the first 4 flights ended in severe crashes due to cheap servos that I've used on other planes. I've learnt my lesson.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
I like having a designed weak link, but not in my servos. I had a servo strip in my helicopter mid flight causing me a nice expensive crash. I now run metal gears and will always run metal gear from now on in it.

Here's my pick for small servos, only 30 bucks for five of them and available in the US.
http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog...p-1405.html?osCsid=92npmp67jrjip3svi53inaqc97
+1 on these servos!
3DMad5- What part of the the world do you live in?
They can be had from Hobbyking but if you live in the states, you can get them a lot faster from Grayson or Hobbypartz
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=23594
http://www.hobbypartz.com/servo-mg90s.html

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I've had my run ins with servos that outlived their usefulness. I had a couple old ones that were drawing too much causing a brown out. I replaced them and no more problems. Still, my absolute best luck has been with those T-pro's. Strong, metal gear, they've survived a lot of crashes with no ill effects and they perform awesomely. I don't mind throwing away a 7 dollar T-pro or hobbyking servo, but I would have a hard time tossing a 60 dollar hitec because of the same reasons.

The thing for me is, I won't put anything in the air that I don't have confidence in. If I'm worried about any part of my system, then it takes the fun out of flying it. If you don't feel comfortable using cheap servos, then don't and don't let anyone talk you into it. Find something you're comfortable with so you can relax and focus on flying.

earthsciteach

Ak, some of the most exciting things in life are those unknowns! Will that tape holding the motor mount to the firewall hold up? Will that broken clevis fall out of the control horn? Will that 20 amp esc catch on fire with that 4s battery? Will my tx continue working even though its been beeping on low voltage for the last hour? Live a little! Loosen up! So what if anything fails? What's the worst that could happen? Hobbyking stocks plenty of planes and parts. Oh, so what if those parts are on backorder? Besides, you belong to AMA, right? You're insured! Go ahead - put that plane through someone's windshield. Besides, you live in Alaska! The worst that could possibly happen is stumbling upon a mama grizzly with her cubs while looking for your lost airplane. You have life insurance, right? ;)

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
LMAO....you know, I've never looked at it that way. I think you just changed my life. :rolleyes:

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
My question is what is the difference between analog and digital servos.
I have a basic hk6s tx and rx.
I just recieved a delta ray with the spectrum 4ch which is also a basic tx.
I got 2 servos the other day and when trying to center them and set push rods I discovered they were 360 degree servos so I am giving them to a friend who does fpv.