Build #2 Bushwacker

FL_Engineer

Elite member
I've been going around and around trying to figure out what my next build will be as I want a slow high-wing. I was almost sold on a pusher Bronco but after reading and watching vids on the Bushwacker it seems to be exactly what I'm looking for (I guess I like Peter's design method). While Josh says it's an intermediate plane I feel like If I set it up right it will be a nice slow flyer which will help me grow. Build is straight forward and there are lots of options for mods and I may have some of my own depending on how things work out. I'm already thinking full ailerons with split flaps to keep roll authority (I saw @BATTLEAXE had success with that method). I will be pacing this build out over several weeks (possibly months) but I'm starting this post as a way to stop myself from changing my mind ;). Probably won't get moving on this until at least next week.

As of now I have the following in inventory:
DYS 2836 1500kv
XF-Model 40A ESC 3A BEC
4 9g servos
2 3s Lipos (1300 & 1500 mah)
hobby grade balsa ply for firewall / control horns
salvaged carbon steel wire / landing gear from the simple scout (obviously need larger wheels)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
The Bushwhacker was only called an intermediate plane for its, although limited, 3D capabilities. As a trainer plane it is super slow. Even in a headwind there is almost no need for flaps, the wide fuse and open nose create so much drag. But it is still fun and good practice to play with flaps.

The Bushwhacker comes with its own wheels, I used them on the Kitfox, nice and big, good to land anywhere. I will be following this for sure

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Great choice! Did you see how I did my flaps? I made the stock flap option, but programmed my transmitter to make the outer ailerons just normal ailerons, and the inner flaps “flapperons” It flies great! Here’s a video to show what I mean:
My setup was slightly different since the inner flaps acted as true flapperons, so they acted as limited ailerons when in half flaps and full flaps.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Great choice! Did you see how I did my flaps? I made the stock flap option, but programmed my transmitter to make the outer ailerons just normal ailerons, and the inner flaps “flapperons” It flies great! Here’s a video to show what I mean:
My setup was slightly different since the inner flaps acted as true flapperons, so they acted as limited ailerons when in half flaps and full flaps.
Note - @BATTLEAXE ’s method is a lot easier, and if you don’t have a “smart” transmitter then you probably can’t do it as it requires 3 mixes and all 6 channels.

skymaster

Elite member
Is that the raido talking. nice

FL_Engineer

Elite member
Something I've been thinking about... I'm not a fan of the FT landing gear. As with most bush style planes I want this to be a focal point of the plane with the timber wheels but also functional as I'll be flying off rough grass. I'd like to incorporate a steerable tail gear as well. I've seen a few articles / posts on this but any tips / ideas are appreciated. I'm thinking of using something from an Eflite Timber X or Carbon Cub but open to cheaper options.

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
This is what I did on the Kitfox, the rubber bands absorb all the hits and don't transfer the damage to the fuse...
20191226_231318.jpg
20191226_231512.jpg

It's the same design that is used on the FT-3D, if you watch the build vid on that one you will see how simple it is to install. I like it better then the fixed solid LG the BW is designed with, a lot less repairing after each flight/landing

FL_Engineer

Elite member
Pondering the idea of using an alternative to HG to keep things light. People seem to like white Gorilla Glue and Titebond II. Pros and cons?

Also, I've been told I'm allowed to buy a cheap PNP for my pending birthday but that would mean no Bushwhacker 😬

FL_Engineer

Elite member
This is what I did on the Kitfox.... View attachment 156696

I'm toying around in CAD with the intent of moving the hstab to the top of the fuse similar to what you did on your Kitfox. A little confused on how you managed to keep it parallel with the wing (during flight). On the BW the wing lays flat across the fuse with the hstab flat at the mid point. Like you say, I think it will do a little better with it up higher. If all else fails I'll just taper the rear window flat I guess.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I'm toying around in CAD with the intent of moving the hstab to the top of the fuse similar to what you did on your Kitfox. A little confused on how you managed to keep it parallel with the wing (during flight). On the BW the wing lays flat across the fuse with the hstab flat at the mid point. Like you say, I think it will do a little better with it up higher. If all else fails I'll just taper the rear window flat I guess.
I moved the Hstab up to the top of the fuse on my BW as well, just to get better invert and I didn't notice a significant difference. I did it for functionality though, not so much about the aesthetics.
20191114_145701.jpg

K3V0

Elite member
I’ve been getting used to the BW. It is fun and slow and it’s been cool to fly in some breeze. For me it flys like a jeep (close to a bronco, right?😉)chucked off of a ledge. It goes with airspeed but seems to drop fast otherwise. That being said I hope I’m gonna be playing with this one for a little while at least.
I do really love the BIG chonky wheels! They’re my second favorite individual FT part to build. 😁