build a new plane using the same power pod

CRAZY CRAB

just finished a bushwacker, now need to start an other plane, "BUT", I need to use the power pod and power pod plate, what plane can I build next please, a nice simple one, using the free print off plans,

FDS

Elite member
You can make firewalls from lots of other (free) materials like gift card plastic. The power pod is simply a tiny bit of foam. Then you can choose whatever you want!
All the single engine designs are not much more complex than the Bushwhacker, anything in the same series can use the Bushwhackers motor, prop or ESC, simply check the recommended motor etc on the store listing or the plans.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I’d recommend the p-40. I’m pretty sure it’s a swappable, and you can just slide your power pod from your bushwhacker into your p-40.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Great! I just checked the plans and it is a swappable! The plans aren't up on the FT website yet but if you search P-40 in the forums, you can download them from there. Show us a pic when your'e done!

CRAZY CRAB

getting the plans printed of Monday, A2 size, cheers for that, its a good idea, having one engine mount for lots of planes, save a lot of money,

FDS

Elite member
Firewalls made from plastic store cards or a $5 sheet of hobby plywood and some foamboard off cuts for the power pod are not expensive.
You will find the power pod wears out pretty quick and the holes on the fuselage rarely align on multiple models. You are going to need to make more power pods and firewalls so practice them now and have a couple cut and in stock ready to fit.

CRAZY CRAB

having looked at it, the power pods, its the 4 lugs that will wear out the most, and as for the holes in the fuselage, on my kit, there was no marks, so had to guess, and missed, going to make one out of hobby plywood, plus put some thing around the holes were lugs go in to stop them wearing out to quickly, what I am after is around 6 different planes, but 1 power pack, that well save me around £250 in motors and other stuff, need some small grommets to put in holes so that they done wear out to quickly, new to this, lots of time on me hands, learning, by the way, I am a Reliant Robin driver, I can strip down a SU carp blind folded, but hav'nt learnt how to put it back together again, but I will get there :)

FDS

Elite member
You can get the power pack parts for under £40 per plane on Hobbyking. There’s pre cut firewalls on EBay UK for really cheap if you want them, minis and larger ones I think. PM me if you want the link.
If you want to stop the BBQ skewer holes from wearing out all you need is some 12-15mm cardboard circles with a 3.5mm hole in th middle, glued round the hole. @mayan has a great picture of his somewhere.
As a former Mini and Morris Minor restorer I love a good SU carb. Not a fan of the bloody SU electric fuel pump though!
Reliant Robin “PILOT” surely?

mayan

Legendary member
You can get the power pack parts for under £40 per plane on Hobbyking. There’s pre cut firewalls on EBay UK for really cheap if you want them, minis and larger ones I think. PM me if you want the link.
If you want to stop the BBQ skewer holes from wearing out all you need is some 12-15mm cardboard circles with a 3.5mm hole in th middle, glued round the hole. @mayan has a great picture of his somewhere.
As a former Mini and Morris Minor restorer I love a good SU carb. Not a fan of the bloody SU electric fuel pump though!
72B474D6-693D-4383-9A5D-2ED03E0D071A.jpeg

This is what I do it works great for me and others I know. You can use cardboard, an old credit card, plywood or even poster board will do the trick. If you use poster board just make sure you do the re-enforcement from both sides.

EDIT: Chip board can also work really well. Also a thin 1 or 2 mm piece of balsa can work and has been used by myself in the past. The benefit of balsa is the weight to size is considerably super low.

mayan

Legendary member
You can make firewalls from lots of other (free) materials like gift card plastic. The power pod is simply a tiny bit of foam. Then you can choose whatever you want!
All the single engine designs are not much more complex than the Bushwhacker, anything in the same series can use the Bushwhackers motor, prop or ESC, simply check the recommended motor etc on the store listing or the plans.
You can use this to get an idea of what to build next using the same motor prop size that you have: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...l-the-ft-models-with-electronics-required.64/

CRAZY CRAB

learning some think new every day
View attachment 139760

This is what I do it works great for me and others I know. You can use cardboard, an old credit card, plywood or even poster board will do the trick. If you use poster board just make sure you do the re-enforcement from both sides.

EDIT: Chip board can also work really well. Also a thin 1 or 2 mm piece of balsa can work and has been used by myself in the past. The benefit of balsa is the weight to size is considerably super low.
cheers for above, lots of info, I was thinking on the lines of these little things, glue into the sides, once you have worked out all the angles,

Attachments

• small eyelets_grande.jpg
    small eyelets_grande.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 0

CRAZY CRAB

hahahaha

Reactions: FDS

mayan

Legendary member
learning some think new every day

cheers for above, lots of info, I was thinking on the lines of these little things, glue into the sides, once you have worked out all the angles,
That’s a sweet idea! But I second @FDS about the weight some planes won’t feel it other might.

Morgajus

My opinion on the metal grommets is that they would help prevent the holes wearing out from replacing the skewers, but if you had a nose-in/ hard crash they wouldn't be any better than bare foamboard in terms of rip prevention. The load would still be concentrated in that small area, compared to the wood/cardboard/paper "washers" method.

That being said, if you've got the tools and the time, why not try both out and write an article about it? I would be interested to hear your results.