Build Classes: Has anyone taught one

Ianccook

I will be hosting a Quadrotor workshop in about a month at my local community workshop. I'll be providing the copter parts and know-how and 4-5 people will build their own copter. (KK2, X666, HK everything else) Has anyone here done something similar? I'm looking for suggestions!

-Ian

earthsciteach

Sorry man, but I have not in terms of multi's. I am hoping to run a build camp at a local university next summer, though. That'll be fixed wing. I'd be happy to have you bounce ideas off, if you like.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
All I can think of is to be sure to cover the why and not just the how. Probably go through each part, what it does, and how it does it first. Possibly talk about the difference between makes and models of the parts. I know that could take days, but just as brief and informative as possible. Like cover ESC amp ratings and the difference between ones made for multirotors and ones built for planes. Talk about KV ratings and watt rating for motors. And talk about different brand control boards. Mainly how others are just as good if not better than the KK2 board, but the KK2 board is the easiest to set up. Of course you'll have to explain the different gains and settings of the board. Also cover different frames and the benefits of different configurations. Even though you're building quads, it would still be good to cover tris and Hs and Is and Y6s and hexs and so on. Also the benefit of a wide stance versus having the props close together. Be sure to make clear how confusing the electronics are, even to people that have been in the hobby for a long time. And that there are a lot of great people in the hobby that will help them out, so they don't need to know everything about all of the electronics.

After explaining all of that and moving to the actual build, I say to be sure to cover balancing the props and the motors. Not necessarily actually balance the motors, but cover how it's a fantastic idea if you're flying FPV. Also maybe talk about break away parts and the benefit of choosing where the quad breaks instead of it deciding for you.

That's all I can think of.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I'd go along the two stickies in the multirotor forum. After that it depends on how deep you want to go, how much time you have and your target audience.

Ianccook

Thanks for the input guys! I've set aside 2 full days for the build and tune, hopefully my first class won't be my last.