Build&flights of the Hacker Skyfighter

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Hey guys,

the day before yesterday a nice package arrive at my home sweet home :D

That included a small wing! It is actually called the Hacker Skyfighter, but it is quite comparable with the Hobbyking Bonsai!
Only differnce is that the Bonsai is about 600mm wide and the Skyfighter is only 540mm.

I bought the wing as a combo directly from the manufacturer with a 5A Speedcontroller and a tiny 2900kv Motor.

Homepage:
http://www.hacker-motor-shop.com/e-vendo.php?shop=hacker&SessionId=&a=article&ProdNr=10949210&t=9&c=3383&p=3383

Soo all it comes with is all the small parts like pushrods and control horns and so on, but everything you need is just glue, 2 servos, receiver and battery.
I use 500 mAh 2S Lipos for this but I am going to need more of them because my Event flies with them as well! Might go up to 3S with the Event though.

Anyway here are some pictures to show you what all this looks like in terms of building. Pretty simple but I thought I´ll post it here anyway for anyone being unsure.

Soo with the package there were the motor and the ESC as shown on the picture below. The good thing about the motor is that they give you 3 different mounting crosses (or however you might call them) The black one the right is the one you use. (CFK made, very stiff :) ). Then you have 5 different rubber bands to attack the prop which also given in the package to the motors propsaver (the propsaver is built in as well!) Then you have the ESC. 2mm gold connectors are on both the motor and the ESC so they match perfectly and you can use your time more useful. The only thing you need to solder is a connector between the ESC and the Lipo. I didn´t even have to solder that because I got some of the JST plugs that you make up yourself and don´t need soldering.

IMG_8374(1).jpg

IMG_8375(1).jpg

Then here the actual wing. Nice sporty desing in my eyes. And a A5 manual with nearly only pictures.

IMG_8376(1).jpg

Actual building here now. The servoholes were already made so it was no problem to get my 4,4 g servos in there. The length of the servo wire was nearly perfect and didn´t need any soldering either, which is nice. The only thing I needed to do is to put a 6mm depron piece under the servo so that the servoarm would just reach out of the hole. But that was a matter of 5 minutes.

IMG_8384(1).jpg

Now here are is wing glued together.

IMG_8386(1).jpg

The motor mount is also quite easy made. Just a block of foam which is precut to fit the wing.

IMG_8389(1).jpg

Thats a picture with the servo pushrods just attached and that white plastic piece near the motor mount is going to get glued to the motormount so that the motor can be hold to it with 4 screws to it. There were 4 tiny holes premade but didn´t match the given motorcross or whatever. So I needed to drill 4 new ones. Actually I just used a screw to drill the holes with a little bit of pressure, because I couldn´t be asked to get the drill from the garage. Worked nicely though.(Sorry for bad quality picture!)

IMG_8390(1).jpg

ananas1301

Part 2 of the Build

And here again with the motor on it now. (Btw: now you can see the JST plug on the ESC)

IMG_8393(1).jpg

Controlhorns attached.

IMG_8394(1).jpg

Scale says 115 g so far which is much better then I expected. But my final weight was about 122 g I think because some glue was added for the wingtips and so on.

IMG_8398(1).jpg

Anyway here the final result. The battery, receiver and ESC got some nice little holes made into the EPP so they don´t just lay around on the surface and make the airstream bad.

IMG_8401(1).jpg

Also I glued some servoprotectors (I just called them like that, the things which protect the servoarms to rip at landings.) which you can see now, next to the servos.

First flight not made yet, but it goes vertical :D I always need to test that :D

My Event 3D also didn´t get his first flight yet, but it became a new prop :D Now the Event goes vertical as well. Next time flying should be really interesting with 2 first flights :D Wish me luck.

Alright, don´t expect to write a build thread every week know :D That was just coincidence now and I don´t usually buy 2 planes a week :D Just that you know

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
I still think it's funny that the makers of these wings suggest you put the electrics on the bottom.
We always put ours on the top :) maybe it's an airflow thing, or a keep the top of the plane looking pretty thing but if it's a belly slider my stuff is always going on top ;)

ananas1301

The manual recommended it that way and I also thought, why would they give those servoarmprotectors for no reason?

And why should be destory the beautiful paintwork on the top. I think it just looks much much nicer. But you´re right. Why I don´t know but many seem to do it that way.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Isn't the wing symmetrical? Flip it over, put the pretty on the bottom, and the servos on the top. You're spending more time looking at the bottom in flight anyways, right? :)

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Isn't the wing symmetrical? Flip it over, put the pretty on the bottom, and the servos on the top. You're spending more time looking at the bottom in flight anyways, right? :)

Same thing for the Flying Cow. Should have had the design on the bottom instead.

ananas1301

Haha yeah I thought about that but I didn´t want to destroy the paintjob on top.
And I really hate it when my plane lying around in my room looks ugly.
And also I love flying inverted :D If you would see me flying you would realise that I fly often more inverted than normal :)

The wing should be nearly symmertrical. It has a airfoil so it is only symmetrical in the middle line that goes from tip to tail.

ananas1301

Hey guys, today was the first flight of the Skyfighter!

Well, what do I have to say? It truly is a fighter!

It is sooo maneuverable that I had to put 80% expo on the elevators and also 80% on DR!
That thing goes vertical with no question and it is very easy to fly as well, as soon as you got the Dualrates and exponentials right.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
If you are having to put 80% expo on it you've got your throws setup to big.
Glad to hear it is flying well. Looks like fun!

ananas1301

I know but I didn´t want to go down with the dualrates for the first flight, I´m gettin to right settings slowly but safely, well I hope safely :D

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Reduce them mechanically first, and then with dual rates and expo to fine tune. A lot easier on those little servos that way :)

Boom

As you had to glue the two sides of the wings together I guess the box it was shipped in can not be used to carry it around? That's a shame because some protection when throwing it in the back of the car would be nice to have...

I always like it when the vendors of micro planes make a nice protective box which you can re-use for transportation to the field.

ananas1301

As you had to glue the two sides of the wings together I guess the box it was shipped in can not be used to carry it around? That's a shame because some protection when throwing it in the back of the car would be nice to have...

I always like it when the vendors of micro planes make a nice protective box which you can re-use for transportation to the field.

Even if the wing would be glued together you still have the wingtips which go vertically. They also don´t like it if the the full weight of the wing is pressuring them. It is just a EPP wing and not a Parkzone Sukhoi (which my little brother has and always carries around in the original box it was sold in) So I am gettin your point.

But I still think you can transport it quite easy because it just has that tiny width.

Clownie

Battery?

Any thought to battery front to back, and dug in on top? Either way, is it held on w Velcro?