Build Log for Eclipson Model B

InspGadgt

Has anyone made theirs with standard weight PLA? I'm trying to figure out what motor/battery combo I should use with the heavier version of the plane. The website isn't all that clear.

Aslansmonkey

Has anyone made theirs with standard weight PLA? I'm trying to figure out what motor/battery combo I should use with the heavier version of the plane. The website isn't all that clear.

The problem with using heavier PLA, like regular PLA, isn't just overcome with a bigger motor. Since the center of gravity is along the wing chord (basically), the heavier material you use the more weight needs to be added to the nose to get it to balance. Remember, these planes are designed to balance when made with LW-PLA, not anything heavier.

Theoretically with enough weight in the nose and a big enough motor you could probably still fly, but you'd have to fly FASTER to stay in the air because the wing size hasn't increased yet the weight it must support HAS. This plane isn't a speed demon.

If you're afraid of LW-PLA and the associated fiddling, use Polymaker Light weight PLA. It prints like regular PLA, but is around 75 - 85% of the weight. My model B is made of this stuff and it flies fine, though I need more throttle than my son does with his LW-PLA version.

alank

I have been very busy with some non-RC plane stuff so just got back into the hobby and worked a bit more on the Eclipson Model B. The LW-PLA that I was using was not colored so needed to paint it yellow (Rustoleum, rattle can) and then mask it for some black paint but the lines aren't to clean in places. Also used some "Water Slide" paper for the decals that I was experimenting with awhile back. They are not that sticky so not sure how long they will last. The servo's are installed and I do like having the linkage stoppers on the control horns rather than the servo arms as they are exposed on the outside of the plane so easy to adjust. I plan on starting out with an Aura 5 lite so need to install and configure it. The landing gear does slide a bit so need to secure it.

View attachment 228927
looks great. still printing mine out of Polymaker Polylite prefoamed.

Djeverest

There are 2 styles of decals for the Model B and I was planing on using the first one but noticed that the cockpit window decals were missing from both. I've contacted Eclipson and they admitted to forgetting to include those and have sent them to me.
Where do I get the decals?