Build Log for Eclipson Model B

Spitfire76

Just purchased the files for the recently released (July, 1 2022) Model B from Eclipson

https://www.eclipson-airplanes.com/modelb

The regular price is 27 Euros but as I was signed up to their mailing list I get a 25% discount on new models providing I purchase the files within 2 weeks. Also as I member of the FTCA one of the perks is a 15% discount on any Eclipson plane I believe but was only able to use one code.

I have built and flown the Model A and C and the B seems very similar to the C although has a slightly larger wingspan and looks like there are less parts to print. It also has wing struts which I am hoping keeps the wing from folding which is what happened to my Model C.

I will be printing the parts with the following filaments
  • ColorFabb LW-PLA
  • Hatchbox PLA
  • ColorFabb LW-TPU (for the tires)
I have a Robo 3d R1 + printer equipped with a E3d V6 hot-end.

I already have slightly modified A-LW, C-LW and C printing profiles in Cura which I used for the Model A and C.

Electronics will be as follows (may change during the build)
  • Motor - SunnySky X2212-13, KV 980 II
  • Prop - not sure yet
  • ESC - FT 30A or 35A
  • Servo - Smraza 9g
  • Battery 3s 1300 mAh (Tattu)
  • Aura 5 Lite
  • Radio Master RM161 receiver

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Just purchased the files for the recently released (July, 1 2022) Model B from Eclipson

https://www.eclipson-airplanes.com/modelb

The regular price is 27 Euros but as I was signed up to their mailing list I get a 25% discount on new models providing I purchase the files within 2 weeks. Also as I member of the FTCA one of the perks is a 15% discount on any Eclipson plane I believe but was only able to use one code.

I have built and flown the Model A and C and the B seems very similar to the C although has a slightly larger wingspan and looks like there are less parts to print. It also has wing struts which I am hoping keeps the wing from folding which is what happened to my Model C.

I will be printing the parts with the following filaments
  • ColorFabb LW-PLA
  • Hatchbox PLA
  • ColorFabb LW-TPU (for the tires)
I have a Robo 3d R1 + printer equipped with a E3d V6 hot-end.

I already have slightly modified A-LW, C-LW and C printing profiles in Cura which I used for the Model A and C.

Electronics will be as follows (may change during the build)
  • Motor - SunnySky X2212-13, KV 980 II
  • Prop - not sure yet
  • ESC - FT 30A or 35A
  • Servo - Smraza 9g
  • Battery 3s 1300 mAh (Tattu)
  • Aura 5 Lite
  • Radio Master RM161 receiver
Printing the fuselage right now. Nice looking and I think a simpler print than the model C.

Spitfire76

Printing the fuselage right now. Nice looking and I think a simpler print than the model C.
That's great, maybe we can compare notes. My first issue is with the struts, just aborted the 3rd attempt at printing those. I have replaced the hot-end on my printer with an E3d V6 since printing my last Eclipson planes so I may have to make some adjustments to the profiles.

Spitfire76

Making progress with printing the PLA parts but having trouble getting good prints on the struts and axis elevator. It looks like my "C" profile will need to be modified for these.

Spitfire76

I did get the struts printed, just had to decrease the print speed from 40 to 35 but have major problems printing the "Axis Elevator". All other PLA parts printed fine but something about the size and shape of this part is causing problems. Maybe changing the orientation from vertical to horizontal may help but just wanted to see if I am the only one having this issue.

IMG_3372.JPG

Spitfire76

Got it to print with it horizontal the the bed and so had to add supports. Its not great but looks like it might do for the moment.

Spitfire76

Just printed the motor holder in Petg. Next is the LW-PLA but working at the same time on improvements to my Bristol M1 so progress is slow.

Spitfire76

IMG_3388.JPG
I had issues printing the small axis_elevator part that connects the two elevator sections together and as seen in the photo the are not straight so re-printed it a really slow speed of 5mm/s and that seem to do the trick. So for some small parts like this the settings in the "C" profile had to be overridden in my case.

Also printed the Alasken Tundra tires out of LW-TPU and not exactly great but usable.

IMG_3391.JPG IMG_3392.JPG

I printed the second one with a skirt instead of a brim and that turned out a little better.

Spitfire76

There are 2 styles of decals for the Model B and I was planing on using the first one but noticed that the cockpit window decals were missing from both. I've contacted Eclipson and they admitted to forgetting to include those and have sent them to me.

Spitfire76

I have been very busy with some non-RC plane stuff so just got back into the hobby and worked a bit more on the Eclipson Model B. The LW-PLA that I was using was not colored so needed to paint it yellow (Rustoleum, rattle can) and then mask it for some black paint but the lines aren't to clean in places. Also used some "Water Slide" paper for the decals that I was experimenting with awhile back. They are not that sticky so not sure how long they will last. The servo's are installed and I do like having the linkage stoppers on the control horns rather than the servo arms as they are exposed on the outside of the plane so easy to adjust. I plan on starting out with an Aura 5 lite so need to install and configure it. The landing gear does slide a bit so need to secure it.

IMG_3426.jpg

CappyAmeric

Elite member
I have been very busy with some non-RC plane stuff so just got back into the hobby and worked a bit more on the Eclipson Model B. The LW-PLA that I was using was not colored so needed to paint it yellow (Rustoleum, rattle can) and then mask it for some black paint but the lines aren't to clean in places. Also used some "Water Slide" paper for the decals that I was experimenting with awhile back. They are not that sticky so not sure how long they will last. The servo's are installed and I do like having the linkage stoppers on the control horns rather than the servo arms as they are exposed on the outside of the plane so easy to adjust. I plan on starting out with an Aura 5 lite so need to install and configure it. The landing gear does slide a bit so need to secure it.

View attachment 228927
The Model B is a very good flier, and pretty light. I have a 2215 in it and on 3 cell it does a very solid vertical.

Spitfire76

I ran into an issue with the elevator linkage but thanks to some community feedback it just required bending the linkage wire in 2 places. Here are the before and after photos
IMG_3427.JPG IMG_3428.JPG

Spitfire76

Adjusting the linkage to get the right throws. 4th hole down for the ailerons and rudder, 3rd for the elevator.
IMG_3430.JPG
IMG_3431.JPG

Spitfire76

As mentioned at the beginning of this build log I was intending to install an Aura 5 Lite. The only changes I needed to make so far to the configuration is that all servos outputs had to be reversed.

Spitfire76

Had to swap out these servos controlling the rudder and elevator as the receiver seemed to be interfering with them causing oscillations. Should have stuck to using the FT 9g servos and not these which were 10 for $22!

IMG_3432.jpg

Last edited:

Aslansmonkey

Finished my Model B. I've yet to maiden it. I'm a little scared of that as I've not had the best luck with 3D printed planes so far. The other confirmed flyer, however, is the Model A, so there's hope.

This one I made with Polymakers Light Weight PLA, which differs from Colorfabb's stuff in that it is NON-foaming. It's simply less dense than regular PLA. They claim it's 65% the weight of regular PLA, but when I weight a test part, it was closer to 75%. I've not yet weighed the entire plane and it's got all the electronics in it now so it'd be skewed anyway.

Attachments

• ModelB_1.jpg
    ModelB_1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • ModelB_2.jpg
    ModelB_2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0