BUILD LOG: Goblin Ranger, DIY 2+ hours endurance FPV glider, <250 grams

Snelson5254

6/10/2021

The Nano Goblin is super cool, but the airframe isn't particularly efficient. Sure, its sleek, but it doesn't have a very high aspect ratio. I know its flight times are pretty darn good, but how much better would they be if it had a more efficient glider-like airframe, like the Volantix Ranger?

I want an sub-250g RC plane with extremely long flight times, at respectable speeds, 30 mph give or take. To maximize the weight allowance for a big battery, I'm going to need to use building techniques that are a bit more advanced than my usual FliteTest / Experimental Airlines style. I think my best bet is to use fiberglass over a foam fuselage and wing cores. I've done a lot of experimentation with different types of foam for hotwire cutting, and I've found that most insulation foams (XPS) are too dense to be of much use for such a small plane with tight performance criteria. Most XPS foams seem to have a density of ~0.03 g/cm^3. EPS is a bit lighter, with varying densities. The one's I've been able to measure range 0.008 g/cm^3 to 0.017 g/cm^3, depending on the source. It should be noted that denser foam is stronger.

My foam of choice for this project is EPS, with the 0.017 g/cm^3 density. I chose it based its ideal strength-to-weight ratio, Young's modulus, and it performed well in the impact simulations I ran. Haha, just kidding. My mom found a bunch of it for free by the side of the road.

I drew up this CAD model, and applied the densities of the foam and other components to the parts, so that I could get an estimate on the weight and CG.

Goblin Ranger.JPG

My plan is to use a 6mm roll-wrapped carbon fiber tail boom (8 grams), hotwire-cut EPS for the wings, tail, and fuselage (30 grams) covered with 2-4 layers of 3/4 oz fiberglass (more or less layers depending on weight available). The motor nacelle will be 3D printed, and mounted on a balsa + fiberglass pylon.

My electronics setup should be pretty similar to the Nano goblin's:
Motor: T-Motor 1408 3750kv
Prop: Gemfan 3052 Tri-blade
ESC: 12a (or 6a to save a few grams, if I can find one at a good price)
Servos: FliteTest 5g (Flaperons + Elevator)
FPV: Spotter V2 all-in-one

The battery options are a little open-ended. I have some 2s 850mah LiPos that will work just fine. I used an online power system calculator called eCalc, and it said that they would last for 40 minutes to an hour if I fly conservatively. If I used an 18650 3000mah 2s1p li-ion pack, I could get more than 3X the capacity. That means I could get 3 hours of flight time! Unfortunately, I don't think that there will be enough weight allowance for an 18650 pack. Most likely, I'll use a 2s 1200mah LiPo pack, or a DIY 18500 2s1p li-ion pack, which would be 30-35 grams lighter than an 18650 pack. But I'll start off with the LiPos until I feel the need to fly for 2+ hours without landing.

These are uncharted waters for me in terms of building techniques, and I'll probably mess up and learn a lot in the process. My goal here is to document my process so that you can maybe learn something too, and mess up a bit less!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I am thinking about throwing some 18650 packs at my surfer 1500 or stratosurfer. Already get decent times out of them with LiPOs. Need to ping BuddyRC up the road who was talking about building some. Have a few single cells to make a 2s1p and 3S1P but would like to make a 4S2P. Needless to say way > 250G. A 3S nano goblin is > 250G too. (I have 2 Nano Goblins)

Snelson5254

I am thinking about throwing some 18650 packs at my surfer 1500 or stratosurfer. Already get decent times out of them with LiPOs. Need to ping BuddyRC up the road who was talking about building some. Have a few single cells to make a 2s1p and 3S1P but would like to make a 4S2P. Needless to say way > 250G. A 3S nano goblin is > 250G too. (I have 2 Nano Goblins)
One neat idea I saw from Dave_C FPV on YouTube was to use cell holders, so you you can just pop them in just likea TV remote or smoke alarm:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
One neat idea I saw from Dave_C FPV on YouTube was to use cell holders, so you you can just pop them in just likea TV remote or smoke alarm:
I am not sure those can handle 10 amps, let alone 20 for long periods of time. The specifications are vague on current and may be burst rather than prolonged usage. I'd rather not risk my gear and will use traditional spot weld or soldered packs.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient

Those would quite a bit more mass then making a pack out of them, and with the stated goal of sub 250g... every g matters.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I am not sure those can handle 10 amps, let alone 20 for long periods of time. The specifications are vague on current and may be burst rather than prolonged usage. I'd rather not risk my gear and will use traditional spot weld or soldered packs.
I have some 3000mAh li-ons pack rated for 15A setup as a 2s1p that I have been using in my FT dart and I haven't flown that whole battery pack out yet... I get 10-15 minutes on about 700mAh (so expect to see around 30 minutes flight time).

There are some that are rated for 25-30A, but they tend to only have 1800-2000mAh capacity at that draw need. this is for 18650 packs, I haven't found the smaller packs that can take that level of draw (would be nice for what I have been doing).

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I have some 3000mAh li-ons pack rated for 15A setup as a 2s1p that I have been using in my FT dart and I haven't flown that whole battery pack out yet... I get 10-15 minutes on about 700mAh (so expect to see around 30 minutes flight time).

There are some that are rated for 25-30A, but they tend to only have 1800-2000mAh capacity at that draw need. this is for 18650 packs, I haven't found the smaller packs that can take that level of draw (would be nice for what I have been doing).
Yeah, there are trade offs with higher current capacity. That's why I want to run 2P for higher current rather than running the lower mah cells. Cruising at low power is not the issue. I still want to be able to run full throttle at times. It would have been nice to see a punch out or two in that video...

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I Have the Strix 2S and 3S Li-Ion packs that I run in the Nano Goblins. They sag at anything over 10 Amps. Easy to get an hour out of the packs just cruising around with FPV. The drawback to <250g is they get bumped around in all but the calmest conditions. That is why I have been flying the bigger heavier surfers. Almost never calm winds here, and FPV can be quite nausiating on windy days with the small builds. I want to try the 3S pack in one of my Nano Skyhunters. I usually run 3S 1300mah LiPO in them and get 15-20 minutes. Would like to see how long I can keep one of those up with the Strix 3000mah Li-Ion pack. Again, those are >250g.

EDIT: I will be playing with the Li-ion packs on the FT Tiny trainer soon. Should be entertaining with an AIO FPV camera mounted as well. Have not flown it FPV yet. Usually fly it LOS on a 3S 800mah LiPO.

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Last edited:

Snelson5254

FYI, I really like the path you are going down. The design is solid and I would love to see your progress. I would go with a small camera in the nose rather than up top. I use these on tiny whoops and they are super light.4.5g
https://www.buddyrc.com/collections...-25mw-vtx-v60t-micro-fpv-camera-combo_on-sale

I need to finish building my Eclipson Model V. Would be another good candidate for Li-Ion https://www.eclipson-airplanes.com/model-v2

That's a good idea. For the one I'm using right now, the antenna would probably produce some turbulence that would go right into the prop. But that little VTX could go anywhere I guess, probably on the wing or on the side of the fuselage. That would save weight and efficiency, so I'll definitely go with something like this. I might search around, I'd like to get at a 200mw vtx if I can

EDIT: the price is fantastic though, for $15 its not like I'm loosing much if I went with this for now and upgrade later

Last edited:

Snelson5254

I think you might want to take a look at these, if you're willing to make a DIY pack. While they don't have quite as high current output as 18650s, I think they would be enough for some applications. The nana goblin setup only pulls 6 amps at max throttle, according to eCalc, and these would be enough for 7 amps continuous: https://www.getfpv.com/panasonic-18500-2040mah-li-ion-battery.html

LitterBug

Techno Nut
That's a good idea. For the one I'm using right now, the antenna would probably produce some turbulence that would go right into the prop. But that little VTX could go anywhere I guess, probably on the wing or on the side of the fuselage. That would save weight and efficiency, so I'll definitely go with something like this. I might search around, I'd like to get at a 200mw vtx if I can
The other thing you can do is de-solder the VTX from the camera and wire it similar to the one I linked. It's tricky, but I pulled that off once before I found the one @ BuddyRC

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I think you might want to take a look at these, if you're willing to make a DIY pack. While they don't have quite as high current output as 18650s, I think they would be enough for some applications. The nana goblin setup only pulls 6 amps at max throttle, according to eCalc, and these would be enough for 7 amps continuous: https://www.getfpv.com/panasonic-18500-2040mah-li-ion-battery.html
Real world experience shows the Nano goblin can indeed pull 10+Amps at full throttle. I upgraded from 12A to 20A ESCs for better full power fun. I'm not running stock props. I run 2 blade 4.1x4.1 APC pusher prop. More efficient and also better top end. Just for shiggles I have some 8 blade 3 inch props to throw on one. Going to throw one of those props on the FT Tiny Trainer for a different sound too.

The individual cells I have are 2500mah 20A. Slight trade off in mah for more punch. The Strix 3S Li-Ion is too tall to fit nicely in the Nano Goblin with the VTX mounted where I have it. Want to make a flatter/wider pack that fits perfectly in there.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
FYI, I have an OG nano goblin with the cobra 1407 3500kv motor, and the newer Emax 1606 4000kv motor.

Snelson5254

Real world experience shows the Nano goblin can indeed pull 10+Amps at full throttle. I upgraded from 12A to 20A ESCs for better full power fun. I'm not running stock props. I run 2 blade 4.1x4.1 APC pusher prop. More efficient and also better top end. Just for shiggles I have some 8 blade 3 inch props to throw on one. Going to throw one of those props on the FT Tiny Trainer for a different sound too.

The individual cells I have are 2500mah 20A. Slight trade off in mah for more punch. The Strix 3S Li-Ion is too tall to fit nicely in the Nano Goblin with the VTX mounted where I have it. Want to make a flatter/wider pack that fits perfectly in there.
Shame about the amp draw. I guess I should look into getting a watt meter so I can actually get some real data. Calculators can only do so much.
Makes sense that a 4.1" bi-blade would be more efficient than a 3" tri-blade, I guess I'm relying too much on eCalc.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
FYI.... Footage from NG#1 on 3S launching at 3/4 throttle. This was a remaiden after getting the 3S battery and throwing iNav on an FC. Had been running a 4 channel radio and aio camera before this with no issues. No footage running full speed passes, but you can see what typical cruise power looks like and the sag @10Amps when launching with a full charge. Ending didn't go well as the FC locked up when I switched to autotune mode.... >sigh< But it did give me a reason to build a 2nd one with the newer Motor and ESC. Ready to maiden both of them soon. Hopefully this weekend.

Snelson5254

Did a last minute minor design change before I start building. Its a flying wing now!
Longbow.JPG

By ditching the tail I save some weight, which might allow me to fit a big bad 18650 2s and keep it under 250g. Plus this looks so much cooler