Build Log: Herr Cloud Ranger balsa kit

Bricks

Master member
Just for future reference if you find one of these Norvel AME engines in 1/2A size they are great little engine have full throttle and a real muffler. Not the cheapest but watch for a used if doing anything 1/2A these are what I would use. I have one in and it is a great performer in a T28.

NV Big Mig 061 R/C (nvengines.com)

basslord1124

Master member
Funny you ask, I just released a video yesterday actually.

Fuselage is mostly complete minus a few steps as far as the build aspect (and then of course things like covering and installing the motor/ESC).

One wing half is probably 95% built, and I've gotten a decent bit of the other wing half built.

Another road block that I ran in to was that I was somehow missing some of the specific wing ribs for the final wing half for 4 channel construction. I honestly think that in some of my transporting the build back and forth to in-laws and home and just my own scatterbrained-ness that they have gotten misplaced or lost somewhere....so I don't think it was a Sig issue in this case. Sooooo....I had to cut some out the manual way. I had luckily had some of that same exact thickness of balsa wood laying around. I also had to order/buy a long drill bit to drill the holes in the ribs for the aileron servo wires.

Overall I would say the main part of the build (gluing the balsa together) is pretty close to the end. Then that leaves covering and then installed the electronics. Covering makes me nervous...never actually done it before!

It seems like now more than ever, I've had very little time to work on my planes/models, but I try to work on little bits when I can.

basslord1124

Master member
The balsa framing of the wings are getting close to completion.

wings_balsa_frame.jpg

You can't tell from the pics but I did do a little bit of sanding to the leading edge so it's starting to get its rounded shape. There is a little bit of sheeting I have to add to the inner ribs of each wing half, more sanding, the wing tips, ailerons, servos/servo wires, covering, and probably some other things left to do.

I find it rather surprising that I basically glue the halves together and then wrap that in tape. Basically this is probably the first plane of this type that I have seen the wing halves joined like that.

floatyflyer

Any update on the build? I’m looking for a good first balsa kit! I am considering the Alien Aircraft J3 Cub but this kit is cheaper and looks simpler so I’m thinking it might be a better first kit! I’m looking forward to seeing yours finished!

basslord1124

Master member
Any update on the build? I’m looking for a good first balsa kit! I am considering the Alien Aircraft J3 Cub but this kit is cheaper and looks simpler so I’m thinking it might be a better first kit! I’m looking forward to seeing yours finished!

Floatyflyer... the only update on the build is it is currently and carefully placed in a box at the moment. No further progress at this time. Nothing against the build or anything.. just got caught in trying to selling our house/buying a new house and moving around the time of the last post. And this has been going on for the 3-4 months. Good news, it's coming to a close here soon. Thanks goodness!

As for the build.. this is my first and I don't find it to be too bad at all. I think there are some easier jig snap and glue together type balsa builds out there. This one is definitely one you gotta pin to the plans be careful and slow. If you got the patience, give it a try. I found to be a fun and neat build so far. Wingspan is 42" so it's a decent size and the kit was cheap as you know already.

Maybe by fall I can dig it back out and officially get it done. Get the final touches to the wings, add electronics, cover it, and get it ready for a maiden. Like I said, if you got the patience give it a shot!

floatyflyer

Dang I’m sorry to hear that the building had taken a backseat for a little while! But house stuff is definitely more important than airplanes! I hope you got it all figured out! I know how it goes…

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I know the threads been dormant for a while, but started building mine today and it turns out it had missing parts too! One entire sheet was missing and in its place was a slightly different sheet with mostly identical parts. I was able to cut out my own parts for some of the missing pieces but progress is currently halted because of missing wing ribs (3 extra W-1’s and 3 missing W-2’s).
FEA31002-C413-41D3-9B45-9960A162D329.jpeg

For the motor mount, since it’s so far back I’m planning on using extra long screws and some nylock nuts to act as poor man’s standoffs.

Last edited:

TooJung2Die

Master member
For the motor mount, since it’s so far back I’m planning on using extra long screws and some nylock nuts to act as poor man’s standoffs.
Great progress so far. Missing pieces are no big deal if the plan has the templates. I built a few airplanes where everything is cut by hand. I think a dummy .049 engine up front would look great. You might want to look at the Cox motor mounts from Willie Nillies Hobby. Works with any brushless motor with mounting holes up to 16mm apart.
Willie Nillies Cox Motor Mounts

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Great progress so far. Missing pieces are no big deal if the plan has the templates. I built a few airplanes where everything is cut by hand. I think a dummy .049 engine up front would look great. You might want to look at the Cox motor mounts from Willie Nillies Hobby. Works with any brushless motor with mounting holes up to 16mm apart.
Willie Nillies Cox Motor Mounts
Some of those dummy engines look pretty neat, I’ll look into doing that. I actually didn’t have large enough pieces of scrap balsa laying around to cut out all the ribs unfortunately, and since the time to get more balsa and the time to get new parts is about the same, I went with the latter. Plus, I’m lazy and cheap (SIG is sending the replacement sheet for free). Anyways, I more or less completed the fuselage today minus linkages and a power system. I’m mimicking the trim scheme on a hobby lobby mini telemaster I have.
E07DD3BF-9A6E-4C85-A7E8-0A7C29956B5C.jpeg

Last edited:

Bo123

Elite member
Some of those dummy engines look pretty neat, I’ll look into doing that. I actually didn’t have large enough pieces of scrap balsa laying around to cut out all the ribs unfortunately, and since the time to get more balsa and the time to get new parts is about the same, I went with the latter. Plus, I’m lazy and cheap (SIG is sending the replacement sheet for free). Anyways, I more or less completed the fuselage today minus linkages and a power system. I’m mimicking the trim scheme on a hobby lobby mini telemaster I have. View attachment 229053
Looking at getting one of these. Or the Alien Funmaster… hmmmmm

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Looking at getting one of these. Or the Alien Funmaster… hmmmmm
Cool, the cloud master will definitely be cheaper, faster to build, and more durable. The Funmaster looks more like the standard .40 size balsa trainer which can fly in much windier conditions.

basslord1124

Master member
Sorry to hear about your missing pieces Ryan O but glad you have worked around some of it and glad they are sending you a replacement sheet. :)

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
The parts from SIG arrived yesterday in giant box, I’d estimate the part-box volume ratio at 1:100. Last night I was able to finish assembling the wings and left it overnight for the epoxy to cure (I skipped the nylon tape step because just 5 minute epoxy thin CA felt more than strong enough, and looks much better) Today I had the time to finish covering the wing and ailerons, so all that’s left is hinging the ailerons, installing the aileron servos, linkages, a new battery tray (the original location at the CG won’t work because the brushless motor I’m using is much lighter than the designed for brushed motor), and the power system.
FC25D5F7-0CB7-4F8C-A3B6-CB8FC0BB7D7B.jpeg

image.jpg
image.jpg

For reference, the Cloud Ranger is noticeably smaller than the Mini Telemaster and barely larger than the FT Simple Cub.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Nice covering job. What kind of film did you use? Does your FT Cub like to roll left on takeoff?
Thank you, the covering film is translucent blue ultracote (they also make translucent green, red, etc.). The simple cub does pull left a bit but that can be countered with rudder. When flying any cub you need to use rudder liberally of course.