[Build Log] QAV250 CF edition

nilsen

And on the same day my friend was there with his iphone6 and wanted to record a low pass fly-by... maybe a little too low.

nilsen

Sometimes you just have one of those day.
I charged all of my batteries and was ready for a good mornings flying and the qaud was just wobbling around, motors jerking, just awful.
The previous day I had quite a bad crash but nothing visible was wrong.
I really started thinking that the Naze was somehow faulty, I tuned and tuned, I reflashed, I erased the chip, I tried all of the PID controllers but every time I punched the throttle, the quad would go mad.

^ TLDR ^
I got home and ripped the thing apart and replaced the Naze with a spare one I had but before I did I noticed only one nut was holding the FC on.
That was clearly the problem, when hitting the throttle the FC would vibrate and the quad would go nuts.

Ladies and Gents - Occam's razor, check the most simple things first, electrons cannot get knocked about by a crash.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Been there. You caught it faster than me. I made two trips to the field with a loose FC before realizing that was what was causing my problems :D

Reminds me...I keep meaning to test using clear nail polish as a form of thread lock on nylon hardware....

nilsen

Been there. You caught it faster than me. I made two trips to the field with a loose FC before realizing that was what was causing my problems :D

Reminds me...I keep meaning to test using clear nail polish as a form of thread lock on nylon hardware....

I only found it because I tore the whole thing apart and though "oh, that doesn't look correct". Damn, I should really check these things first!

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Yeah, mine had been flying a bit "off" and rather than, you know, look at it I just kept flying it to to try and figure out what was wrong :)

Then I forgot I had the rates dialed back and tried to do a flip - afterwards I went to connect my phone up to dial the rates back in and noticed that all four screws holding the FC on were gone and it was just floating in there :)

Yep, that explained why it didn't feel very locked in anymore!

I've had a lot of problems with nylon screws coming loose, even when I've checked them before flight I've had some come loose on short flights. Only nylon/nylon connections though. Nylon threads with aluminum or steel nuts - no problems, steel or aluminum bolts into nylon threads - no problems. But nylon screws into nylon threads...just don't stay tight for me.

nilsen

I used some locktite on the nylon bolts with steel nuts, I hope it doesn't eat it up, I think it was mentioned around here once...

I crashed yesterday and my quad caught fire! :eek:
Actually I think I crashed because something shorted and the voltage dipped enough for me to drop mid roll.

I think it was the homemade FPV power filter coil shorting against the frame. I just hope I didn't roast the camera and transmitter.

My wife said "oh I'm so sorry" I replied "This is part of the fun!". Well I can tell myself that anyway.

HawkMan

It won't eat up nylon, it's an issue with the ABS 3D printed parts. however. nylon being nylon, it also won't stick to it... nylon mostly only sticks to nylon, hence, if you tighten them properly, nylon screws on nylon nuts are somewhat self locking. of course not to the degree of metal on metal with lock-tite.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Yeah, I figured loctite would act more like a lubricant if anything given nylons properties :D

I think the real problem is just the poor tolerances on nylon parts. I can never tighten them to my satisfaction. They always seem to jump threads just before they feel "tight" to me :(

nilsen

Well after my crash and fire I had to hack out pieces of the frame as I hadn't seen what CF looks like when it's burned but it turns to mush. I'm making a new LC filter and going to put it back together this evening.

nilsen

The end of the QAV250 series for me.

I have broken yet another arm and have to replace the entire frame again, so I am biting the bullet and saying goodbye to my much loved QAV250, instead I will try a XHover MXP230 elite. Same proce but apparently much, much tougher.

I really think Lumenier should make the bottom plate out of a little thicker material because it is a brilliant design with a critical flaw, that being the non-replacable arms.

It's funny that the quad was flying a little funny after a crash but I assumed some of the electrons had shaken loose from the Naze during the crash, but it was actually a borken arm which was flexing, and which I didn't even hotice until I had taken the frame apart to install the KISS Esc's.

X-hover build log coming soon :)

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
The end of the QAV250 series for me.

I have broken yet another arm and have to replace the entire frame again, so I am biting the bullet and saying goodbye to my much loved QAV250, instead I will try a XHover MXP230 elite. Same proce but apparently much, much tougher.

I really think Lumenier should make the bottom plate out of a little thicker material because it is a brilliant design with a critical flaw, that being the non-replacable arms.

It's funny that the quad was flying a little funny after a crash but I assumed some of the electrons had shaken loose from the Naze during the crash, but it was actually a borken arm which was flexing, and which I didn't even hotice until I had taken the frame apart to install the KISS Esc's.

X-hover build log coming soon :)

Thanks for sharing the highs and lows of the QAV 250. Makes me glad I started off cheap with an electrohub. When I break arms (3 so far), I just throw some glue on it and get back in the air.

nilsen

Thanks for sharing the highs and lows of the QAV 250. Makes me glad I started off cheap with an electrohub. When I break arms (3 so far), I just throw some glue on it and get back in the air.

Of course, no problem. I started with the miniquad scene with the QAV because I had done the DIY route and then a Tarot hex etc etc. The QAV250 is a dream to assemble and fly and I would recommend it to anyone BUT be warned that the arms do break so I just feel that there are better solutions out there. Having said that, it oozes quality when you build it.

Thinking back, the reason I got into mini-quads was after seeing Charpu and Juz's videos and they both flew the qav250 and since it was the first miniquad I had even heard of I went ahead and purchased it :)

jipp

i just bought some m5 nuts from getfpv.. and man there bottom plate is 60.00 to replace.. ouch that would get annoying conpared to a couple of bucks for a arm.. plus having to rebuild it each time.. i think its a poor design choice.. but from there point of view.. they like selling spare parts that cost more. heh.
chris.