Build my first one - FT Versa Wing, but it doesn't fly. Advice needed.

storm77de

Hi Guys,

First of all. This is a really great community. I read some of the threads and articles after watching almost every FT video (and hearing half of all podcasts). I really really like the idea, which is embodied by Flitetest.

I am nearlly new to RC and flown only 2 or 3 times with a HK Bixler last year. For me it is about building planes.

Because of this, I decided to build a FT Versa Wing from scratch.
I ordered some Foam Boards here in Germany, builded the Powerpod and the Versa Wing and finally made my maiden today.

IMAG0185.jpg

IMAG0187.jpg

But... it doesn't flown very well and chrashed after 3 or 4 meters.

I think, it is a problem between the weight (think the foarm boards are heavier in germany) and the electronics.

Here some data for you. Maybe you can give me an advice, what I have to change:

Weight: ~820gr (with 2200mAh 3s)

Motor: Turnigy 2730 Brushless Motor 1300kv (EU Warehouse)
Speed Controller: TURNIGY Plush 30amp Speed Controller (EU warehouse)
Prop: 8x4 (not that little one on the pictures!)

Maybe you have a better Idea to setup this great Wing. (ideally parts from HK EU Warehouse, because of shipping cost.)

Greetings from Germany,
Mike

storm77de

I started first with 3/4 power and it crashed almost immediately. After it with full power and it crashed after a few seconds.. it seems it have not enough power.

storm77de

Man, sometimes...why do I don't read the motor descrition first. Should learn some more stuff about motor-prop-weight-surface ratios. Not that easy.

I used that motor ordered for another plane way lighter (a little Depron Fokker D7). Will change the motor with the one you suggested. But I have to wait with the second maiden now. motor is on backorder.

brettp2004

At least that motor will be great on a smaller plane. There should be plenty of motors on HK that will work. The rule of thumb is 100W per pound for acrobatic flight. Your's weights almost 2lbs so anything with approx. 200W should work just fine.