Build-over Jigs (plugs, or frames)

Tsavah

I don't see a thread about build-over jigs that can be used to form thin foam into a model aircraft design, be it real, or imagined. What I do is upcycle trash foam, often starting with foam drink cups and foam that has been used in a box to protect a product. The packing foam can come in very odd shapes, but it can be upcycled into a build-over plug with basic carving skills. Foam drinking cups, especially the large ones, can be upcycled into a thin foam shell fuselage, or wing and since they are easy to find, or rescue from the trash, make for some excellent thin foam skin panels. I am not sure there is an interest in making thin shell fuselages, or wings on the cheap, so I thought it wise to see if a new thread generates any inquires first. I have been posting most of my work in RC Groups over the years, but am a big Flight Test fan, so am thinking some folks might want to see some examples of what is possible using this construction method. There are a lot of projects that could be updated already posted in this forum, but they have boxy bodies, or fuselage that would be easy to round out.

Last edited:

Tsavah

Sounds like a great idea. I’d like to hear more
Thanks. I like to share and have been for more than a few years in Youtube (Watt Waster) and RC Groups (Tsavah), so naturally I though I should here also. My video editor is not working correctly at the moment and has been messing up for a while now, so I may not be able to provide new material on the construction method for a while. I may also have to give it up and find another video editor so I can get back to posting in Youtube. To give an idea what the process is and why I started making RC aircraft models in this method, check out this Youtube video -
This is the first video of a series and there are other series to watch of various projects I have recorded to share. Some of the videos are more than a few years old and if I live long enough I would like to redo some of them since I have learned a few things that need to be added to the show-n-tell. The catch is I am an old guy and old guys tend to remember their time may be short.

Last edited:

Tsavah

Not so sure there is an interest in this super cheap construction method, or its advantages. I don't see any comments, or questions. One of the things I like about build-over plugs is it makes possible the construction of any aircraft fuselage and wings one can find a build plan for, be it real, or imagined. Once the build-over plug is made and there are more than half a dozen ways to get this done, the super lightweight thin foam shell is much easier to create on the cheap if you upcycle trash foams. My favorite being upcycling foam drink cups most folks throw away after one use. Even better, the build-over plug can continue to be used to make more copies on the cheap. The only real difference between this construction method and others is it is easier, faster, and the results aren't all that different from how sheet metal is used to cover an aircraft frame. Rollation becomes part of your vocabulary, but you use foam sheet instead of aluminum sheet metal.

Last edited:

Tench745

Master member
It is very unclear to me, and I suspect others, what a "build-over plug" really is or how one uses it, even after skimming the video. Perhaps a clearer explaination would garner more interest?

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
It is very unclear to me, and I suspect others, what a "build-over plug" really is or how one uses it, even after skimming the video. Perhaps a clearer explaination would garner more interest?
I'm with @Tench745 regarding what you mean by "build-over plug". Are you looking to use an existing model to build a series of jigs to assemble a repeatable thin-skin replica, Or a bigger version? I see how large styrofoam cups can be reused at almost-to-no cost, and that has a solid place here. There are a number of kids here avid to start with very little money to start with.

Help is understand the goal of the method please. Then you will find more response I suspect.