Build Recommendation w/ Existing Electronics (Simple Cub?)

mazo_rc

Hello all, I just built the FT Explorer and am really enjoying it, but I am looking for something a bit smaller and easier to transport. I have the power pack b electronics, as well as two 3000 mAh Turnigy LiPo batteries (270g each), and I was wondering which plane you would recommend that I build next.

I am still a beginner in terms of flying, so I would ideally like a 3ch plane, but having the option to upgrade to 4ch would be ideal. I was looking at the Simple Cub because it uses power pack b, but I worry that my 3000 mAh battery would be too heavy. If anyone has experience with the Simple Cub, I would appreciate some input! Otherwise, if there's another plane that I should look into, let me know!

Thanks in advance for the help.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i think 3300 is gonna be rather big for most FT plans. i have flown the simple cub on a 1800 before but nothing larger. and with that, i had to remove the wing and place battery inside the pod. not the easiest setup but it will work. if i was you, i'd try and find a smaller battery. something in the 1000-1300 range will be perfect for the cub.

good luck,

me :cool:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
:)
My simple cub build has come out so tail heavy I've ordered a Turnigy Nano-Tech 2650mah 3S for it. Should be fun :)
After all, I'd rather balance with battery than dead weight.

Caroline

ouch! it's that tail wheel... ;)

what is your weight of the craft without battery?

my latest with 4-channel, paint, and decals, comes in @ 480g w/o battery, which is above the 408 posted by FT (not sure i buy that number).

mine has a 2213-920, 10x4.5, 20A, 4 - 9g servos, 6 chan Rx, foam wheels, and can balance with a 3S-1000mah under the front pod.

have you tried putting a smaller battery as far forward as possible? my battery power wires have to be tucked to make sure the prop doesn't whack them.

2650 again seems rather larger.

laters,

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Interesting! It’s so cheap to buy the foam that I might just make one and try it out. Is there a reason why your’s is so tail heavy?
The foam board I can get here in the UK is quite a lot heavier that the 'dollar tree' stuff and that adds up quickly in the tail, I'm also a bit heavy handed with the hot glue, and the paint was not great at covering so took more than the yellow I used on the 1st cub.
The tail wheel is not very heavy, nor is the 3D printed part I used to mount it.
The previous cub seemed to balance nicely with a 1350 3S in it. This one I put a 1500 3S in it and to balance I still needed another 150gms of weight...hence the big battery.
I will do some taxi and short hops before trying any flight proper!

Last edited:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
ah, forgot about the foam board issues. hope this one works out better than the last. ;)

i had planned on flying mine today but it sounds like it's gonna be a "blow out" due to wind. wish they would tell me this before i wake up @ 4 am. :rolleyes:

laters,

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
ah, forgot about the foam board issues. hope this one works out better than the last. ;)

i had planned on flying mine today but it sounds like it's gonna be a "blow out" due to wind. wish they would tell me this before i wake up @ 4 am. :rolleyes:

laters,

The colour that I have painted it, I won't have the excuse that I couldn't see it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
she is just curvy. :LOL:

was a total blow out today. no flying was done. that was ok though, it's summer time now and i will be flying 4-5 times a week. taking today off to clean the house was probably a good idea. :unsure::rolleyes:

did get my new custom dart skins from Rasterize, plus his "Bunny" mini P-51. they are next on the build list. already 3D printed the power pods (3) for both. :D

laters,

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Here in AUS we are stuck with the heavier FB also.
For my cub I use a skewer as a tail skid and fit the 1300 3S battery into the powerpod, (as far forward as it will go).
To get balance I just fitted heavy "TUNDRA" type wheels. As I did not put any dihedral in my wing the extra weight down low gives greater pendulum stability.
The only changes I have made to aid flight performance is to increase the incidence of the main wing with the fitting a "Paddle Pop" stick under the wing LE. I use a SF prop of course!
It flies like a dream and floats greatly on landing. Apart from a somewhat vicious "P" factor if you just slam the throttle and try to lift off too soon it is a true delight to fly.

Have fun!

mazo_rc

Are there any other planes than the cub that might be able to handle the 3000 mAh battery? I was also looking at the FT Spitfire?

Last edited:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
the Kraken... :unsure:

sorry but that is just a little big for a battery and foam board planes. i have ton's of batteries but only one that is that size. i use it in a twin tail, EDF Vampire that needs a ton of weight up front. that is the only reason i have a battery that size. most fly on 3-4s and are under the 2200 mark.

sorry,

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
If you have build and flight experience I would recommend that you check out https://www.flitetest.com/articles/reworking-an-old-favourite-das-ugly-foamie-stik.

To support the larger battery I would unsure to strengthen the wing centre section and possible the fuselage where the landing gear is attached, (you may need to add a little tail weight for balance but otherwise the plane is very robust).
I have plowed mine into the ground quite a few times now and it continues to fly without repair. The crashes have included side slipping into the ground from height, taking off without connecting the ailerons and parking it into a tree at full throttle.
Apart from the crashes it has pancaked from around 2ft numerous times. Mine is over 2 years old now and still on the original ------ EVERYTHING, (Battery Excluded).

Have fun!