Build Report: Foamboard quadcopter :)

DutchRC

Hello people :)

you might have followed my previous quadcopter build, and the result of that was a pretty well flying quad.. I did however find it quite a bit to slow, and that was caused by the weight of the thing..

So.. A new build series then, in which I'll try to build a far lighter quadcopter :)
For this build I have chosen foamboard for the frame.. That will not make for a very crash-resistant quad, but it Will be easy to rebuild it.. And foamboard is licht offcourse :)

Hereby the project kickoff for this build, in which I go over some why's and how's for the build :)

jipp

neat idea, and i could see you building the millennium falcon in 3 par sects using the FT techniques for $tree foam board. besides with the new star wars movie coming out, and one of the tease vids showed the old girl in all her gloring flying through the sky.. you know there is gonna be many young boys dreaming of flying the falcon to help defeat the evil imperialist bad guys... heh iv seen others get the shape/leds etc down.. but it was just to heavy, i think by using foam board you could get away with it.. it be much lighter than plastic that others have used and how i would look at a build with this.. scale plane.. heh, team nano here.. slow and sure.. and walk of shame is A. O.K.. with the saved weight you could record the falcon engine sounds off the VHS, and turn that into the MP3 for the sound module"D
ok, im starting let my creative brain cells over rule common logic..

but what this foam board would allow you to do is build a cool UFO.. most UFO i see just seem way to heavy.. and its because they are using pink foam, and fiberglass? or plastic, etc.. with foam board, as the FT have proven its plenty strong. and if you fly like team nana should be ok for lots of flights. thinking about the possible UFO air frames one could build.. that one episode of the Brady Bunch comes to mind when the kids faked a UFO via sheet, close line and a flash light.. ( we use to be so simple minded back in the day, sigh ).. man i think i just admitted i watched the Brady Bunch as a kid.. oh peter what have you done. cindy is crying. :p

( its amazing how you can find a single memory from our youth with a click of a mouse. :D )

by the way was it you who built the helicoptor that had wings, i thought that was such a great idea.. if it was not man i wish i could find that link for inspiration.. i think being able to have wings that open up, you could increase your flight time via by just gliding some on MR by quite a bit, at least enough to save you from a puff battery maybe :D plus i like controlled crash landings epic stuff.
i think a air frame using foam wings to extract with a toggle could be done pretty easy id use say the Apache for a air frame.. the stick i guess would be having the wings be able to fan out as you could get more wing surface that way.. but heck it still be neat if all we could o were F16 style delta wings to open and close.. you could hide part of the wing under the heli landing pads, and since it be a tri-coptor the wings would take up the shape of the tail and look cool i think.. well i can see it in my mind. maybe one day ill have the skill to make it happen.

look forward to your future posts on this project. i have 2 cases of dollar tree foam in the corner.. as when i first got into this hobby a few months back via FT videos, i thought i wold be into building planes as i love to build things, and i did find a lot of enjoyment out of the process of building the mini speedster.. iv only built one mini speedster, and 3 chick gliders for my nephews to throw around so far.. i was there fav uncle that sunday.. cheap toys sure ( but heavy on the wow cool factor, as they were bigger than there other toys.. )

chris.

DutchRC

You are talking about the tilt-wing quadcopter plane :) I think it was on the FlightTest channel.. Try looking it up over there.

AND! I'd actually love to have an insight on the ships used in the new Star Wars movie! It would indeed be great to replicate something from that movie :)
I did allso consider a flying sauser.. But well.. the never really fly that well (a Lot of drag).. Nevertheless.. I might try that in a while as well :)

For now:
Stop the press! Part 2 in this build series is here :)
In this part I'll actually be completing the quadcopter, so this was quite a short build series for a change :)

DutchRC

Sooo.. Maiden flight time then! Does this flimsy foam quadcopter actually fly??
Watch this, to find out :)

DutchRC

Allrighty.. So it flies reasonably well.. Time to put a bit more streign on this foam copter!
In this flight I'm still not going overboard, but I do put quite a bit of speed in it..
Let's see how it holds up to that :)

jipp

i missed your last post. looks like it flys great for a piece of 1.00 foam.

heh. pretty amazing if you think about it. heh. you say you are not a good pilot, but you seem to be doing quite well.

and no the tri-coptor with mini wings was posted here in Jan i think.. it was with in the first two weeks of me signing up it was posted i think. i looked for it, but could not find it.. which is to bad.. it was a 3d printed frame i remember that. if i remember correct he was designing it so he could get some glide slope for AP.

i guess he stop developing it or he/she would of posted im sure.

chris.

DutchRC

Mikey's RC Channel on you tube had one of these a year or two ago.

Thurmond

Yes.. I have followed that channel for the longest time, so I feel Stupid for not remembering that :p
However! I do know a foam quad isn't anything new..
Mine is far superior offcrouse! :D (just kidding)

i missed your last post. looks like it flys great for a piece of 1.00 foam.

heh. pretty amazing if you think about it. heh. you say you are not a good pilot, but you seem to be doing quite well.

and no the tri-coptor with mini wings was posted here in Jan i think.. it was with in the first two weeks of me signing up it was posted i think. i looked for it, but could not find it.. which is to bad.. it was a 3d printed frame i remember that. if i remember correct he was designing it so he could get some glide slope for AP.

i guess he stop developing it or he/she would of posted im sure.

chris.

Thanks Chris :) Yeah.. for a quad out of some scrap pieces of foamboard, it flies pretty well I think :)
Ghehe thanks again! I can fly, but I'm just not a super quad-pilot :)

I think I know which build you ment there, but from what I remember.. it didn't really work all that well...

don keeballz

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE HELP ME!!!

OK Im done with DJI's Phantoms. Ive spent my last dollar, bought my last replacement part, dropped from the sky for the last time, suffered my last flyaway, no more, I'M DONE DJI!!! I have 1000's tied up in these POS Phantoms. DJI phantom is crap, end of story. SO...Can anyone tell me where i can buy or how i can build one that will not flyaway or drop out of the sky on a regular basis?? please, thank you.

DutchRC

True.. you can use the electronics you have.. and you Could watch my video-series :) The foam quad just flies Super

zenguerilla

OK Im done with DJI's Phantoms. Ive spent my last dollar, bought my last replacement part, dropped from the sky for the last time, suffered my last flyaway, no more, I'M DONE DJI!!! I have 1000's tied up in these POS Phantoms. DJI phantom is crap, end of story. SO...Can anyone tell me where i can buy or how i can build one that will not flyaway or drop out of the sky on a regular basis?? please, thank you.

Easiest may be to install another flight control board and receiver, (Naze32, KK2.1, etc.) remove/modify landing gear if you prefer.

Here's something to give the idea that everything else should be able to work, except the old FC, GPS, receiver,etc. will be removed. I believe reverse thread nuts can be purchased to use 'DJI' style props at a better price and availability than the threaded one-piece, if those are what your phantom has.

It is probably the least waste and not bad components otherwise. They have these with simon k too, or others could be fitted.

DutchRC

Hi people :)
here is a short little update-report on some mods I did on this FoamBoard Quad :)
After that quite a bit of flight-video as well, showing off the improved speed :)
Enjoy!

jipp

looks good. i think the foam is to light for jelly free video. it flys better than it has any right too. now we need a carbon fiber frame version. or maybe a laser printed hobby plywood build.. heh snaps together in 5 mins. heh.

you could add some 450 heli skids for legs.

chris.

DutchRC

Ghehehe that was a nice one sir 'flys better than it has any right too' :D Great!
Yeah.. for a foam frame.. It flies great, and it is actually durable :)

I really am not sure what causes the vibes.. When I put a mobius on my foam planes.. The video looks Great..
well hmmm carbon fiber.. The intention of this project is/was to show people a way to build a quad for as little money as possible.. This frame cost me about $3...
But yeah.. the wood version worked out better for video :)

Cheers!

jipp

Ghehehe that was a nice one sir 'flys better than it has any right too' :D Great!
Yeah.. for a foam frame.. It flies great, and it is actually durable :)

I really am not sure what causes the vibes.. When I put a mobius on my foam planes.. The video looks Great..
well hmmm carbon fiber.. The intention of this project is/was to show people a way to build a quad for as little money as possible.. This frame cost me about $3...
But yeah.. the wood version worked out better for video :)

Cheers!

yeah, i was joking about the carbon fiber.. as that would go against what your build was about. hmm what do you think..

a tri-coptor foam bird? i bet that could even get some FT air time :D

maybe a FT challenge.. FT you have to build your own foam MR design. and you must build one quad, and one tri-coptor.. its been brought FT, now do not chicken out over this challenge... *chicken sounds here *

chris.

Last edited:

DutchRC

Haha :D hmmm A foam tricopter you say :) I have been thinking about that! With a conventional tail, or thrust-vectoring???
A sterdy tail-swiffle on a foam frame would be quite a 'challenge' ;)

It would be great if FT would offer a foam quad-frame! :D
On the other hand: it's sooo super simple.. I would consider it an insult to my viewers if I would offer 'plans' for this frame :p

jipp

hard to give plans for a box, well it has 4 sides.. heh.. i guess info on motor mounts would be useful.. as you do not want them to heavy but strong too.

as im sure people would over think that.. i know i would.. and then i would probably just end up using plastic credit card material.. it works for servo rms.. should work for a a foam MR> just hot glue the card to each end..

as im new to multirotors just building my first one last month. i honestly would not know where to start for a tri-coptor.. that would take a little more energy i think.. but would be cool tho.. i want to add a tri-coptor to my hanger this year. so i can experience the swoosh over the a quad.. see how they feel diffrent etc.. and plus learning to fly a tri-coptor is a skill im gonna need to learn anyhow..

that is where i thought of FT.. they could have peter build some crazy avator swinging 15 carbon fiber props on one of his interesting foam creations.. then eric could do a little Ap machine.. and then you could get josh to email the swede for help on the foam tri-coptor. heh.

just having fun here.. but honestly could be a fun challenge fore you, or FT to come up with a neat foam tri-coptor. just to see if it can be done, and fly as good as your foam box as iv seen carbon fiber frames not fly as good as that does... ooooo them are fighting words.. foam vrs carbon at 6 pm.. bring your pop corn.

chris.

Last edited:

DutchRC

:D ah yeah.. the motor-mounts.. In the last 2 video's I intentionally put quite a bit of stress on them, to see if they would hold up.. To be honest, I'm a bit surpriced they did :O
I used 2 slices of 1mm balsa on every mount.. BUT your idea of using credit-cards is good man! That would work well :)

Ghehehe well yeah.. I'm quite interested in tricopters as well! Have you seen this project of mine?
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?16885-Thrust-vectoring-Tricopter-)

Hmm I'll give it some thought! A reliable tail-swiffle is THE challenge there :) But I might be over-thinking things there :p

cheers!

jipp

:D ah yeah.. the motor-mounts.. In the last 2 video's I intentionally put quite a bit of stress on them, to see if they would hold up.. To be honest, I'm a bit surpriced they did :O
I used 2 slices of 1mm balsa on every mount.. BUT your idea of using credit-cards is good man! That would work well :)

Ghehehe well yeah.. I'm quite interested in tricopters as well! Have you seen this project of mine?
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?16885-Thrust-vectoring-Tricopter-)

Hmm I'll give it some thought! A reliable tail-swiffle is THE challenge there :) But I might be over-thinking things there :p

cheers!

thats pretty cool. first thought its the darn enterprise, so i looked for scotty in the warp drive, and all i found was his whiskey bottles.. technology way to reliable, and Scotty had to have a drink from time to time to put up spock.

heh. a tail swiffle is a regular servo/motor tail right? if so i think you can use Popsicle sticks, and CC material to strengthen the up. you be surprised how strong that would make your tail. you will just have to make sure you keep it small.. im thinking around 300mm this way you can run 6" props to keep the torq some what low on the rear.. as i think anything larger than 6" would be to much for card board.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HJ-Y3-Carbo...894?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20e3254c66

i thnk this will be my first tri-coptor build. i like the looks of it, and the videos iv seen of it it flys great once tuned like most MR.

im just not sure if i should get teh carbon model, or the plastic.. as iv read its not real carbon.. so would i be saving money by going to the plastic.. or would the carbon plastic still be stronger than plastic.. stuff like his im just not sure of.
chris.

Last edited: