Build room remodel

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
We are doing some remodeling in the house and had this little 8x10' room in the basement that we used for storage. So we took stuff to goodwill and cleaned out the room, then I had the bright idea to make it my dedicated build room. I dont have a shop and have been using an upstairs spare bedroom to build, but it gets really hot in there in the summer, so the basement is naturally air-conditioned. It will also be nice to build balsa modeles and be able to close the door and forget about it for a month if I want to. The room also has a vent fan, vented to the outdoors, in it for some reason (perfect for sucking out bad fumes). I'm also going to wall stack some planes in there, like you see on Hobby King videos. I will get some pics up when I finish it in a week or so.

Got the floor moulding installed today, filled holes and kilzz primed some dammaged areas, tomorrow will paint, Tuesday will install light fixture and switch covers then airplane wall hanger shelf bracket stuff.

IMG_2618.JPG

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Haha, barley room for one. My workbench is a 2 1/2' x 6' folding table and a magnetic building board system. Totally portable, but I may eventually build or find a sturdier table.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I have yet to build my work bench. I'll look forward to seeing your if you wouldn't mind posting a pic of it as well for ideas.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Workbench

This is what I'm using so far. Just a six foot plastic folding table with a 1/2" CDX minwaxed treated plywood on top and then a 24x60" 10 gauge piece of clear coated sheet metal on top of that. I am concerned about the plastic table holding up over time and possible sag, but so far it is really flat. I also think the steel and plywood help keep it really flat. I like it because it is portable and easily moved.

My next idea was to weld together a steel frame table and mount a nice flat piece of thick plywood on it. But, that is a future idea and a ways away for now...I like the 6 foot table size and I seem to have plenty of room with that. I will also keep my eyes open for people giving away or garage sale tables.

IMG_2552.JPG

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Oh, I've seen that in another thread. I just didn't connect the table with the person. That's another reason I'm eager for Flite Fest, faces make real difference when connecting.

Can it really be called a workbench when it looks so pristine?

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
I just made a simple bench out of reclaimed 2x4 from my train layout and a solid core door. I used 7" triangles as gussets on all joints and ceramic covered square drive deck screws to hold it all together. Quite solid and only took a day to build. I will probably add some decorative hardwood trim to hide the 2x4 and a curtain to cover the lower part. It's not solid enough to do wood working on (I use hand planes and chisels, so a lot of torque), but it is certainly strong enough for modelling work.

And I can remove all the screws and end up with more scrap wood to make something else!

Mike

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
After seeing another guys post using the same folding table and a solid core door bolted to the top, I'm thinking about getting a solid core 36x80" unfinished door and bolting it on then putting my build board on top of that, it should remain perfectly flat forever after that! Wont be as easily portable, but I shouldnt have to worry aboit that having a dedicated build room.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Wow, I just went to Home Depot and Lowes and they want $65 to $75 for a solid core door and it is really heavy. I may hold off on this idea for a little bit. I'm not sure my Wal-Mart folding table will hold all that weight. I think what I have will work until I figure out how much room I have and if I need a bigger table.

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
I cut my door to 5.5 feet. That should let me make a 60" wing, and possibly longer with some overhang. Making a base using 2x4 and triangles in the corners worked quite well. Deck screws will go in with an 18V battery powered drill. I also have a giant 5'x32" lower shelf to put things on, too. I'll try and snap some photos later on if anyone is interested.

BTW: I know how to do proper joinery, but doing that type of work is not very easy in commercial grade 2x4 because they have twists and the like in them. So, I would have needed to buy hardwood and make proper joints. But, that is a lot of work and expense. Particularly since I had a pile of 2x4 sitting around from the model railroad deconstruction and I know 4 32" 2x4 properly held vertically will make a strong base.

Mike

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Wow, I just went to Home Depot and Lowes and they want $65 to $75 for a solid core door and it is really heavy. I may hold off on this idea for a little bit. I'm not sure my Wal-Mart folding table will hold all that weight. I think what I have will work until I figure out how much room I have and if I need a bigger table.

A hollow core door might stay flat even better than a solid core as the hollow core ones are built as a torsion box structure. I use one of those with a piece of glass on it for my covering work table - easy to stack up against a wall when not it use too.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I saw those and way cheaper, it also felt really strong, but everywhere I read people were using solid core. I may give that a try and then maybe use moly plugs to bolt to table underneath.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast

Ok, now I am reconsidering this table, I also saw they have a wood composite top table that is a little less money. https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-1135-WOOD/Packing-Tables/Packing-Table-60-x-30-Composite-Wood-Top

The reason I am looking at tables again is that my folding card table and hollow core door set up flexes too much, sags, and when I put a straight edge on it you can see light under it. I think if I used a solid core door it would flex and sag too. I am hoping that the wood composite table will have no sag. I was thinking I could put the hollow core door on it for a larger work surface (since I wasted $35 on it). I guess I am learning that you cant cheap out on a table, and I don't feel like trying to build one, I want to build airplanes instead! Anyway the Composite is about $80 dollars less, but it looks really sturdy.

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
Despite my comment last night, it might be worth it to go for the composite table. You can purchase the table tops separately so if you ever change your mind or the composite does start to sag, you can just buy the maple piece.

One of the reasons I went with maple is because my table is actually my office desk as well and is in plain view from the rest of the house. I had to keep it as presentable as possible and the maple just looks good.