Build Thread- FT NASA X-29

Should I make it swappable or EDF?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
I'm just going to say this once: feel free to stick around. I'm going to do something crazy, which has probably been done before. Anyway as you can guess, I'm building the X-29! My crazy modification? Using a swappable power pod from the FT Spitfire and sticking it in there! I'd wanted to do an EDF, but I did something dumb (nothing bad, but my parents had to pay for a new bike rim) and I'm not on their good side at the moment! Since I'm 16, and don't have a credit card, well I'm in a pickle. I can't even buy the bullet extensions for the thing, and don't have access to soldering, so I can't splice any wire. I only have got 1 emax power pack c, and it's screwed to the swappable power pod. So the only option is to modify the motor pod mount to fit a swappable mount. I still don't know what I'm going to do but I'll find a way to make it work. Any suggestions? I may build it as a 2 channel RC glider or something. Anyway I'm going to start! Ooh, FT tech on YouTube recently uploaded a video about Discus Launch Gliders! Maybe I'll watch that before I cut out my scratch build plans!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I love your attitude! I've never built the X-29. I have no idea how the motor mounts to it, or what requirements are necessary to make it fly. You've got the right idea, though.

Wherever the motor mounts in that thing, just modify it or the powerpod that you've got and go for it! I say this all the time: "Really, what's the worse that can happen??!!" Crash and burn. Bummer. Try it again. One dollar for a sheet of foamboard.

You think hard, then you cut and you glue and then you see what happens. I did that with my Mini Scout Biplane, and it's an unmitigated success. I did that with my Mini Scout Speed Racer, and it's still just a lawn dart. Every single freakin' time! I'm working on it, though.

Take pictures. Blog your experiences here in in this thread. Those who know more about the X-29 will chime in with help. I'm really looking forward to video of that maiden flight! :)

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
Wow! What a difference with a sharp knife vs a kinda dull one! I used to dread having to cut out the parts when scratch building. My parts used to come out like this spar
IMG_3742.JPG

Now, with the new blade, I'm lovin' it! A new blade makes all the difference in the world! Check out this wing:
IMG_3743.JPG

I'm 1/5 th the way through cutting it out. I got 4 more sheets to go. I'm taking my time doing this, but I'll probably have another sheet out by nightfall!

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
One sheet left to go! Plus or minus the Swappable power pod motor mount. I was able to swing getting the servo and bullet extensions required for the Airplane from my parents. After I convinced them I was only getting those things they reluctantly agreed. I was set up to get a Viggen EDF and a pun jet but my bike repair bill kinda screwed all that up. Oh well. At least I have this. Thanks for sticking around to see this pan out!

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
I don't know why I waited until halfway through the scratch building process to watch the release video in the X-29. I did, and I came to the shocking realization that an EDF would be extremely better, since the prop drive requires a 4 s and I only have a 2200 3s. I'm still going to build the power pod mount but I'll see if I can drop a few hints to my parents about a certain 64mm EDF and 60a ESC on Amazon for around 50 dollars. I might cut out a second X-29. I'm really still new to the hobby so if I made a silly error in my motor/ESC/ battery setup, I'd really appreciate being told! Plans all cutout. I'm going on a small end-of- summer trip so building will hold off. I may start the fuselage since on the x-29 the servos are an the wings and electronics are not imperative until the wing installation.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I don't know why I waited until halfway through the scratch building process to watch the release video in the X-29. I did, and I came to the shocking realization that an EDF would be extremely better, since the prop drive requires a 4 s and I only have a 2200 3s. I'm still going to build the power pod mount but I'll see if I can drop a few hints to my parents about a certain 64mm EDF and 60a ESC on Amazon for around 50 dollars. I might cut out a second X-29. I'm really still new to the hobby so if I made a silly error in my motor/ESC/ battery setup, I'd really appreciate being told! Plans all cutout. I'm going on a small end-of- summer trip so building will hold off. I may start the fuselage since on the x-29 the servos are an the wings and electronics are not imperative until the wing installation.
If it's like mine, you're going to need to budget for a bigger battery to balance . Mine with a 70mm 6S FMS EDF balances with a 3300 6S battery.

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
I've never really done EDFs before, but question: if I made a longer thrust tube, could I move the EDF forward in the fuselage, potentially getting it as close as possible to the CG to balance the aircraft out?

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I've never really done EDFs before, but question: if I made a longer thrust tube, could I move the EDF forward in the fuselage, potentially getting it as close as possible to the CG to balance the aircraft out?
There's not much space to bring the EDF forward, maybe 2 or 3cm. Remember the longer the tube, the more frictional losses.

Headbang

Master member
Your first idea would work. Should be easy to slide a power pod in the back, no reason a c pack will not work as a pusher on 3s. It will have as much or more thrust then a 70mm edf. Jet will not be as fast, but hand launching will be much easier. Over all it will be lighter. So if you have to use a bit of nose wieght to balance, should not be a big deal.

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
I'm not that experienced of a pilot, though I would say I'm intermediate. So the only problem I have with the pusher was the higher potential of broken propellers and they talked a little about the torque of the prop turning the wing over. I'm still contemplating what to do as I await the arrival of bullet and servo extensions. I'm thinking of building two airframes, as I seem to recall NASA had two as well. I'm okay if the aircraft is not as fast, since my flying field is surrounded by trees.
Thanks for your knowledge Headbang, and your advice from experience CarolineTyler, and buzzbomb for understanding the "chuck it up there and see what happens"

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I voted for both. Build the swappable first, because it's less expensive. If you don't like it, or it doesn't work out you can step up to the EDF. Then you'll have the swappable motor for another plane build. Just my two cents. :)

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I’m doing a viggen as a swappable, and once I feel comfortable with flying a jet, I hope to do a 70 mm edf X-29. Have you watched the build video? I think they show how to do it as a swappable since they recommend the power pack c and don’t have an edf power pack. I haven’t watched the build video, but that would be my guess. Good luck and have fun!

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
I’m doing a viggen as a swappable, and once I feel comfortable with flying a jet, I hope to do a 70 mm edf X-29. Have you watched the build video? I think they show how to do it as a swappable since they recommend the power pack c and don’t have an edf power pack. I haven’t watched the build video, but that would be my guess. Good luck and have fun!
Yes, for every plane I build, I watch the build video at least once so I'm familiar with what I will need to do. They recommend the "C" motor but in the pusher-prop version of the X-29, the model has its own power pod and mount, for length comparison the "power pod" is smaller than a standard swappable pod, and you have to glue the pod to the mount. You can look up that section of the video to see what I'm talking about. Good luck on your Viggen!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Yes, for every plane I build, I watch the build video at least once so I'm familiar with what I will need to do. They recommend the "C" motor but in the pusher-prop version of the X-29, the model has its own power pod and mount, for length comparison the "power pod" is smaller than a standard swappable pod, and you have to glue the pod to the mount. You can look up that section of the video to see what I'm talking about. Good luck on your Viggen!
Ahh, I see. Thanks!