Build Thread- FT NASA X-29

Should I make it swappable or EDF?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mach1 rc

Master member
Don't believe you like to relax on flights. You have done or working on a number of projects like mine. Here's my X-15. If you want to do it, I will help you figure it out. This project takes some research(it's all there) but it is simple once you figure it out. Even the altitude can be determined. Mine reached about 400 ft. Was going to do it the same way as the shuttle where I drop , glide it down, and fire it up.
Damaged it after it didn't launch vertical on the third shot. Didn't fix it due to many other projects.

If you know rockets, I kept on moving back so to be
Cool plane. I've never messed with rockets but that one looks awesome

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
So this will be a 70mm edf, right? I still want to do an x-29! I gotta get some money, then I’ll get the Willy Nillies barnstormer 250 kit, then hopefully I can get a 70mm fan for this baby, cause I love how it looks and all!
Unfortunately, no. I don't have money for a 70mm right now. I'm also saving up for an EFlite Night Radian Airplane. I'm going to do the pusher prop version of the X-29, my buddy soldered a bullet connection for my Emax power pack C motor. It had come off in a crash of my first airplane, which was my own design and which I crashed a lot! The replacement motor I bought is now in my Spitfire. So the old motor is now going to my X-29 in the stock set up. One of these days I'd love to see you put an EDF in it, as usually jets don't have propellers sticking out the back!

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
Well, I just finished the X-29. It looks pretty cool on the power pod that they've included on the stock set up.
IMG_4194.JPG

IMG_4195.JPG

IMG_4196.JPG

Maiden flight will be coming soon. Honestly I'm re-thinking my decision to not include an EDF in the plane, since the weight is in the very back with the prop vs an EDF which would be closer to the CG and therefore would need less nose weight

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
Well I decorated my X-29. I think with Flite Test store's reduced prices, I'll likely speed build the EDF version. While the X-29 is usually $46, for Black Friday (and hopefully Cyber Monday) it's $36! Here are some pictures from my decorated X-29. Blue colored tape is all I have so if you're wondering why all my planes have blue tape...
IMG_4203.JPG

IMG_4204.JPG

IMG_4205.JPG

IMG_4206.JPG

And here is what is needed to balance this on a 2200 3s
IMG_4207.JPG

IMG_4208.JPG

If you're wondering, that's an 850 mAh 3s on top.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Well I decorated my X-29. I think with Flite Test store's reduced prices, I'll likely speed build the EDF version. While the X-29 is usually $46, for Black Friday (and hopefully Cyber Monday) it's $36! Here are some pictures from my decorated X-29. Blue colored tape is all I have so if you're wondering why all my planes have blue tape... View attachment 149683
View attachment 149684
View attachment 149685
View attachment 149686
And here is what is needed to balance this on a 2200 3s
View attachment 149687
View attachment 149688
If you're wondering, that's an 850 mAh 3s on top.
It’s beautiful @Matthew Sanders - Nicely done!

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
It’s been a LONG while since my last post here but essentially here is what happened:
February 2020: I decided to rip out the pusher prop mount due to it not looking like I wanted it to.
March 2020: re-decorated the airframe with some red tape to make it look a little nicer.
92DA0B5A-306E-4FD2-A52E-B168444B2803.jpeg

April: received a 70mm EDF, 60 amp ESC, and a 3300 4S. Also cut a big hole in the top for EDF shoehorning/servicing.
59FCB40C-DC41-4265-BF76-4413889B2139.jpeg

May: Flew the Maiden Flight.
So, what happened?
[You need to watch the video to see the effects of what I’m talking about down below if you haven’t already.]
I came up with a couple of issues. #1, the airplane was plain too heavy. I would have needed a 6S (which I don’t have a compatible balance charger for) to cover for the weight of the airplane. The CG was perfect, but the airplane just didn’t have enough airspeed at take off. On Flight 1 (the one which didn’t get recorded) the aircraft just stayed parallel to the ground at around 3 feet AGL. On full rates it didn’t respond to pitch, and if I’d rolled at all it would have lost altitude and crashed. This brings me into #2, it didn’t have enough thrust to overcome the weight AND/OR it didn’t have enough airspeed at launch. So, without proper electronics, I couldn’t fly. I have since taken out ALL electronics. I will build another in the future to fly on 64mm EDF, 40 amp ESC, and the 3300 4s. I want to thank you all for coming on this journey with me, I have learned so much from this experience, and now on to my next EDF project. I’m thinking about trying my hand at designing my own EDF jet. That’s all for now! Keep flying guys!

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
I made a new X-29! It's been MANY months since I last posted here but essentially here's what happened. I crashed my E-Flite F-15 into a tree in October. It was damaged to the point that it was unable to fly without replacement parts. I took the EDF and ESC out and saw that the battery lead was long enough to work in the X-29. So, on January 22, I built the X-29. On the 23rd, I put it together like you would a PNP plane from a store. I then proceeded to maiden it. It flew! It was very tailheavy, balancing an inch behind the CG mark, but still flew on 2200 4s (64mm EDF.) I'll put in a 3300 4s for the next flight, but I need to get a battery connector adapter. XT60 to EC3. I'll upload a video and put it here. I also filmed my build so you can watch it if you are interested. One final note: I made it look like my old one in terms of tape colors. I liked how the 1st one looked!
IMG_7313.JPG IMG_7314.JPG IMG_7315.JPG IMG_7316.JPG IMG_7317.JPG IMG_7318.JPG
These are all the pieces prior to aircraft assembly.
IMG_7331.JPG

Here is the finished product. Looks pretty good!

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I made a new X-29! It's been MANY months since I last posted here but essentially here's what happened. I crashed my E-Flite F-15 into a tree in October. It was damaged to the point that it was unable to fly without replacement parts. I took the EDF and ESC out and saw that the battery lead was long enough to work in the X-29. So, on January 22, I built the X-29. On the 23rd, I put it together like you would a PNP plane from a store. I then proceeded to maiden it. It flew! It was very tailheavy, balancing an inch behind the CG mark, but still flew on 2200 4s (64mm EDF.) I'll put in a 3300 4s for the next flight, but I need to get a battery connector adapter. XT60 to EC3. I'll upload a video and put it here. I also filmed my build so you can watch it if you are interested. One final note: I made it look like my old one in terms of tape colors. I liked how the 1st one looked!
View attachment 190267 View attachment 190268 View attachment 190269 View attachment 190270 View attachment 190271 View attachment 190272
These are all the pieces prior to aircraft assembly.
View attachment 190273
Here is the finished product. Looks pretty good!
Congratulations! It's a good flying plane, I'm sure you found the roll rate 'fun'
:)

Headbang

Master member
My X-29 met its end after I somehow lost 1 elevon in flight, almost recovered but it was too far away and lost it. Loved that plane and want to build another, it was also my second ft foam board plane, so used a lot of glue and it was heavier then it need be. Also esc was way heavier then need be. Been thinking of scaling it up to 90mm tho to facilitate landing gear on grass.

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
My X-29 met its end after I somehow lost 1 elevon in flight, almost recovered but it was too far away and lost it. Loved that plane and want to build another, it was also my second ft foam board plane, so used a lot of glue and it was heavier then it need be. Also esc was way heavier then need be. Been thinking of scaling it up to 90mm tho to facilitate landing gear on grass.
Aw man. I'm sorry to hear that. It is a beautiful plane. Can't wait to see a 90mm version!

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
Alright everyone. Happy Monday. Today is February 22, 2021. I have calculated that it has been 550 days since I started this thread with the intent of building and flying the FT X-29. It is my privilege to FINALLY be able to present a video of the X-29 flying!!

I recommend that you watch until the end, because I have some onboard footage.

With this, I'm going to close this project. Looking back at the beginning of this thread, I have seen how much I have grown in the hobby. I really want to thank all of you who came with me on this 550 day journey.

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
For a second I though that was mine since I didn’t get around to putting the rear canopy on it. :LOL: It looked great in the air - too bad about the esc!
Yeah. Oh well, at least I got 9 flights on it. That was 9 more than with my first one! Oh, and BTW, that's how my first Viggen got destroyed. My impeller sucked the ESC in on takeoff. That's why I was super cautious with this plane.