Build Thread- FT NASA X-29

Should I make it swappable or EDF?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
It's all good. If you've followed me, you know I'm prone to word walls, myself. I actually have no desire to fly an RTF or ARTF. I've just got so many exciting builds waiting for me. I don't need any more! :D

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
It's all good. If you've followed me, you know I'm prone to word walls, myself. I actually have no desire to fly an RTF or ARTF. I've just got so many exciting builds waiting for me. I don't need any more! :D
I hear you! The reason I like ARTFs are because the plane is already built, mostly, and it looks pretty. No crinkles as in the foam board. The night radian is a collaboration with FT and EFlite, so you know it's got to be good. Also, it comes with pre-soldered lights. That's my main reason. But I have no problems at all when it comes to DTFB and some hot glue!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
There's really nothing to report, I screwed up bad when I formed the fuse. It's lines weren't straight, I still have to cut out some stuff, and so I kinda just tossed the good pieces aside as spares. I'll wait for the SBK to come. Buzzbomb, I've been only 1 foot away from an EDF at a hobby store, but it was attached to an Eflite F-15! I've only owned 1non-foam board Airplane, the Champ. The only others I'd like are the Night radian, as I fell in love with that when I saw it around a year ago in a now closed hobby store. The other is the H-king SkySword. You should really check it out, it's very pretty. Ive kinda had my eye on the UMX A-10, but that's way in the future. I know I have a lot of Airplane projects, but the foam board ones usually find the recycling after a few months. Other stuff goes to my boneyard. I try to keep just the hatch as my trademark is to put the date of the maiden on it.
Guess what - I only have bought one rtf plane and that was the champ! I also just looked at the umx A-10 and really was hooked! I got a friend who has a umx edf jet that looks like the mig-15. I want to buy it from him! The sky sword is a really a beautiful bird.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I hear you! The reason I like ARTFs are because the plane is already built, mostly, and it looks pretty. No crinkles as in the foam board. The night radian is a collaboration with FT and EFlite, so you know it's got to be good. Also, it comes with pre-soldered lights. That's my main reason. But I have no problems at all when it comes to DTFB and some hot glue!
I bought a programmable led light strip and put it in a simple soarer wing but I’m honestly pretty disappointed in the soarer fuse so I plan on putting the wing on a ft cub fuse with the tail light section I spent hours soldering...

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
I bought a programmable led light strip and put it in a simple soarer wing but I’m honestly pretty disappointed in the soarer fuse so I plan on putting the wing on a ft cub fuse with the tail light section I spent hours soldering...
Yeah! I can't solder unless I'm at school, a reason I haven't looked into the LED strip thing. The night radian would have been my beginner plane if I hadn't seen Flite test

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
I just "Maidened" the Arrow a few hours ago. I have a small backyard, well, small for FT planes. It's about 30 yards long and 10 yards wide. I did a couple of runs with the arrow straight and narrow. I have a lot of confidence for the maiden at the field. My confidence in elevon controls is growing!

L Edge

Master member
I was on 30% expo and running 60% dual rates. I may have to go lower on the X-29, it looks pretty speedy and agile

Do you have a pic of your x-29? Do you have a fixed canard in the front?
Yes, you will need very little control in the roll. Pitch will be exceptionally touchy until you get the CG right.
Had to lengthen the nose to get proper CG for flight.

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
Lol - I really want an x-29 now! But I have quite a few projects going on right now. Maybe after those are done I can pick up a 70mm or 64mm edf and build his beautiful bird!
I would recommend a 70mm EDF, initially this was the second flite test plane I found,"( the first being the long ez) about a year ago. I've been wanting to get this plane for a year! Now it's almost done! Boy am I excited 😊

Last edited:

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
Here are some pics. Nothing is glued in. Only electronics installed are servos.
IMG_3861.JPG
IMG_3860.JPG

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
Do you have a pic of your x-29? Do you have a fixed canard in the front?
Yes, you will need very little control in the roll. Pitch will be exceptionally touchy until you get the CG right.
Had to lengthen the nose to get proper CG for flight.
What were you flying with? Whenever you can, could you measure how far from the leading edge of your wing your CG is?

L Edge

Master member
In your bottom card you said you have a transport with shuttle. Well, Ive got a styrofoam Shuttle, I was planning to cut out the main engine exhaust and inserting an A pack pod in there. Also 5 gram servos. Just a future project!

That sounds like a fun project.

L Edge

Master member
What were you flying with? Whenever you can, could you measure how far from the leading edge of your wing your CG is?

Mine was an experimental X-29 profile and CG was 1.5" back from leading edge/fuse. Always good to see what others get in their design. Took 5 thumps on snow to get it right. Had to extend nose and canard.

P1010014.JPG