Build Thread- FT NASA X-29

Should I make it swappable or EDF?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Headbang

Master member
I will build another, maybe after the viggen group build. Next time around I will use all gorilla glue. Another big wieght savings will be a castle edge 75 lite. Thinking I can shave 200g or more off my original.

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
Well the poll seems to favor me building a swappable and then an EDF. That's what I'm going to try to do. I'm also trying to tackle a Viggen in a group build, however cutting out the Viggen is taking more time than I thought

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
Moving right along with the Swappable X-29 modification. It was helpful that the X-29 motor pod was the same width as the swappable, so it was only a matter of taking 5 minutes of my precious summer that's ending on Tuesday to elongate the paper.
IMG_3796.JPG

Then to cut it out.
IMG_3798.JPG

And finally to test fit
IMG_3799.jpg

So building unfortunately will have to wait! With school starting and everything, well I'm going to be a weekend hobbyist again, got a taste of it right around the week or so when school ended, back when I got my first successes in the hobby. As for the Viggen, that's sidelined since I can't get an EDF. I've been really thinking about the FT Commuter, and I'm just curious if anyone has scratch built it, it looks really complicated to scratch build! I may speed build it in the future, but first things first. Get the X-29 in the air!

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
Yay! I have my first pair of FPV goggles. They are the new FatShark X-29's! If you've seen the first 10 minutes of the X-29 build video you'd get the reference! In all reality, the center fuselage is done! In the build video, Andres jokes that the fuselage looks like FPV goggles. Matter of fact, the resolution is on- point!
IMG_3833.JPG
image.jpg
image.jpg

Now back to building!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Moving right along with the Swappable X-29 modification. It was helpful that the X-29 motor pod was the same width as the swappable, so it was only a matter of taking 5 minutes of my precious summer that's ending on Tuesday to elongate the paper. View attachment 141283
Then to cut it out. View attachment 141285
And finally to test fit
View attachment 141286
So building unfortunately will have to wait! With school starting and everything, well I'm going to be a weekend hobbyist again, got a taste of it right around the week or so when school ended, back when I got my first successes in the hobby. As for the Viggen, that's sidelined since I can't get an EDF. I've been really thinking about the FT Commuter, and I'm just curious if anyone has scratch built it, it looks really complicated to scratch build! I may speed build it in the future, but first things first. Get the X-29 in the air!
I just scratch built it. It’s really not that hard even though it looks intimidating. Probably easier that the x-29. It is now my favorite plane! It is a joy to fly!

Attachments

• F82C55E1-993C-4590-93CA-B6C0F5FDB7AA.jpeg
    F82C55E1-993C-4590-93CA-B6C0F5FDB7AA.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • FF9D2BA6-40F0-4484-8627-AD1669C06C04.jpeg
    FF9D2BA6-40F0-4484-8627-AD1669C06C04.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
I actually have a thread on my commuter you can check out. https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?forums/everything-flite-test.2/
I actually have a thread on my commuter you can check out. https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?forums/everything-flite-test.2/
I'll definitely check it out! I'm planning that build for the near future (in a month or so). Also, nobody told me the Viggen was 4 sheets of foam board! So I only have 3 sheets! So I need another. Also, I'm in need of an EDF for the Viggen. My X-29 is a pusher prop for now. When I build the EDF X-29, I'll use the great advice Headbang gave about the "cheater hole" in the nose. Just curious, what setup in terms of EDF/ESC/battery were used?

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I'll definitely check it out! I'm planning that build for the near future (in a month or so). Also, nobody told me the Viggen was 4 sheets of foam board! So I only have 3 sheets! So I need another. Also, I'm in need of an EDF for the Viggen. My X-29 is a pusher prop for now. When I build the EDF X-29, I'll use the great advice Headbang gave about the "cheater hole" in the nose. Just curious, what setup in terms of EDF/ESC/battery were used?
Yesterday, my flight was about 3 minutes of mixed flying and it landed with 54% of battery remaining and barely warm. I think 6S is definitely the business :)

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I’m using some scrap foam board pieces I have lying around, so I got it to fit on 3 full sheets... I’m doing a pusher prop swappable version since I don’t have an edf. I’m thinking about maybe joining this x-29 build and doing an edf (if I have one). Maybe I’ll follow your plans and do a swappable though.

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
I’m using some scrap foam board pieces I have lying around, so I got it to fit on 3 full sheets... I’m doing a pusher prop swappable version since I don’t have an edf. I’m thinking about maybe joining this x-29 build and doing an edf (if I have one). Maybe I’ll follow your plans and do a swappable though.
Cool! I'll make some measurements on my swappable mount. Make sure you have 5 sheets of DTFB if you do this!

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
Well I'm feeling good. I am only allowed to build on weekends because being a Junior in High School means you have homework that needs completing. However, I need some Elevon stick time. So I just downloaded the plans to the mini arrow. I got a spare 1806/12a esc from my entry in the $12 Walmart Glider hack challenge that Flite Test did.
IMG_3761.JPG

If you're wondering, It's 3channel rudder/elevator. Dual elevator. 5 gram servos. It's ok, but I built it knowing I'd use the servos for my FT Mini corsair. I still have the SBK ready for when my MM Mustang crashes. Anyway I'd love to know how to keep a plane with elevons flying before I take up the X-29. Still waiting for the bullet extentions which are out of stock on FT Store.

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
Ok so what do you do when you're done with homework? Build an X-29 of course!
IMG_3861.JPG

In actuality, I could not contain my excitement after finishing the wing, so I mock-fitted it up to around what it'll look like when I'm done with it. The wing looks A Lot like a stealth aircraft when turned around
IMG_3857.JPG

IMG_3858.JPG

It's a good thing I did this massive "Test fit" because I found several issues that need to be rectified, such as the vertical stabilizer holders being crooked and giving the rudder a leftward turn. I'll work on my swappable mount when I'm done but the stupid bullet extensions are still impeding progress, as I can't glue the wing in without it. I may sound disappointed, but I'm not, because this plane is SOOO Beautiful! I'm actually kinda thinking I'll only fly it once. Hopefully it comes back! I really like this plane! I don't know if any of you have seen the HobbyKing SkySword, but that's a dream plane for me! At least this pretty plane is less expensive. Until I get the H-King Sky Sword, (which FT should review) this amazing plane is right for me!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Ok so what do you do when you're done with homework? Build an X-29 of course! View attachment 142923
In actuality, I could not contain my excitement after finishing the wing, so I mock-fitted it up to around what it'll look like when I'm done with it. The wing looks A Lot like a stealth aircraft when turned around View attachment 142924
View attachment 142925
It's a good thing I did this massive "Test fit" because I found several issues that need to be rectified, such as the vertical stabilizer holders being crooked and giving the rudder a leftward turn. I'll work on my swappable mount when I'm done but the stupid bullet extensions are still impeding progress, as I can't glue the wing in without it. I may sound disappointed, but I'm not, because this plane is SOOO Beautiful! I'm actually kinda thinking I'll only fly it once. Hopefully it comes back! I really like this plane! I don't know if any of you have seen the HobbyKing SkySword, but that's a dream plane for me! At least this pretty plane is less expensive. Until I get the H-King Sky Sword, (which FT should review) this amazing plane is right for me!
What a BEAUTIFUL plane! I love jets! Really want to do an x-29! Still working on my viggen!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Ok so what do you do when you're done with homework? Build an X-29 of course! View attachment 142923
In actuality, I could not contain my excitement after finishing the wing, so I mock-fitted it up to around what it'll look like when I'm done with it. The wing looks A Lot like a stealth aircraft when turned around View attachment 142924
View attachment 142925
You've certainly done a beautiful job with it! You deserve to be proud. That is one GOOD LOOKING plane! (y)

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
You've certainly done a beautiful job with it! You deserve to be proud. That is one GOOD LOOKING plane! (y)
Thanks guys! I'll be happier only when I actually do glue in the canards, rudder, horizontal stabilizer, and wing! I almost can't take my eyes off of it. My sincere Thanks to Flite Test for making this plane a reality! Andres did a great job on its design. I'll admit, as with any plane when you get up close and personal, you see a little hot glue that you forgot to squeegee off or a foam crinkle, but it looks Amazing from a distance! I'm going to be so nervous before I maiden it!