Building 50 Tiny Trainers!!!!

flyinsparky

Hey guys! I am a high school teacher with an afterschool club that does MANY things... (screenprinting, banners, signs, stickers, rug tufting, and design) This year we are taking on RC Airplanes. We have purchased enough materials to do 50 planes and we have started the first group through the process. I've had students feeding the laser foamboard for days and our first 10 students have glued up their fuselages and we are starting on our dihedral wings. The idea is that as students gain experience, they will be able to lead the sessions themselves and bring in new members throughout the year. We settled on the Tiny Trainer because of it's simple construction and ability to add another channel for the aileron wing as they progress. Once they get the first one down, they will be able to move on to make planes of their choice after that. The plan is to get them built and flying and then they can choose to purchase the electronics at a discount, or they can take the electronics out and just take their plane home. We also have a few seats of Realflight to get some practice and training during the rainy months.

Some things I have learned: Most students cannot cut bevels. Using sanding blocks is WAY safer and easier for students to handle. Some students need to be paired with a competent builder because if they are left to do it on their own, they will mess up 4 fuselages in a row.

I think setting up the buddy box will be essential for many students when it comes to flying part. I have also never attempted to teach students to solder... I may just have a couple students become the "expert solder-ers"

Does anyone else have experience building planes at this scale? Any pointers or anything else I should consider?

PXL_20221013_192349016.jpg

I think we are just waiting on motors/ESCs for our supplies.

JetCrafts

Hey guys! I am a high school teacher with an afterschool club that does MANY things... (screenprinting, banners, signs, stickers, rug tufting, and design) This year we are taking on RC Airplanes. We have purchased enough materials to do 50 planes and we have started the first group through the process. I've had students feeding the laser foamboard for days and our first 10 students have glued up their fuselages and we are starting on our dihedral wings. The idea is that as students gain experience, they will be able to lead the sessions themselves and bring in new members throughout the year. We settled on the Tiny Trainer because of it's simple construction and ability to add another channel for the aileron wing as they progress. Once they get the first one down, they will be able to move on to make planes of their choice after that. The plan is to get them built and flying and then they can choose to purchase the electronics at a discount, or they can take the electronics out and just take their plane home. We also have a few seats of Realflight to get some practice and training during the rainy months.

Some things I have learned: Most students cannot cut bevels. Using sanding blocks is WAY safer and easier for students to handle. Some students need to be paired with a competent builder because if they are left to do it on their own, they will mess up 4 fuselages in a row.

I think setting up the buddy box will be essential for many students when it comes to flying part. I have also never attempted to teach students to solder... I may just have a couple students become the "expert solder-ers"

Does anyone else have experience building planes at this scale? Any pointers or anything else I should consider?

View attachment 231081

those kids are so lucky nothing like this happens in india

Bo123

Elite member
K

View attachment 231081

I wish I had a box of stuff like that lol.