BUILDING A FPV BIX 3!

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
So far I have the Bix 3, Fat Shark Dominator V3 FPV Goggles, Fatshark FSV1207 16:9 960 TVL CMOS Camera (NTSC), and a Spektrum DX8 Gen 2 DSMX 8-Channel Mode 2 Transmitter with receiver.

So far, they are all still in the box as I am amassing the parts over a many month period along with lots of research and videos of other peoples set ups. I am planning on getting the Fat Shark 5.8GHZ 5G8RX 32ch Race Band Receiver Module for Dominators and the TX to match and also the SpiroNET Omni – 5.8GHz CP Antennas.

I think I have a good build for LOS FPV flying. I don't want to break the law and go outside of LOS. I am also working on my LOS skill with other airplanes before I attempt FPV. I do, however, have a lot of experience with simulator FPV style of flying, so I am familiar with the limited view and such.

Can anyone chime in on my build so far? Any surprises I should be aware of with these components? Good build, so-so build, great build, ect?

Thanks,

D

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Just added to the build...now I'm broke...

Bix 3
Fat Shark Dominator V3 FPV Goggles
Fatshark FSV1207 16:9 960 TVL CMOS Camera (NTSC) .
FSV2442 32ch 5G8 Race Band Receiver Module
FSV2463 250mW 5G8 7CH TX
SpiroNET 5.8GHz circular polarized antenna rhcp
So far just a Turnigy 2200mah battery, but may go to a Nanotech 5,000, got to research more.
Spektrum DX8 Gen 2 DSMX 8-Channel Mode 2 Transmitter with receiver

This should be a good set up. Probably wont fly this for a few months though, got to learn about all the gear and take my time...

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Looks to me like you've got a great setup going so far! I would just keep doing as you do and not get too excited to jump the gun. You've already described a pretty good methodology for training, setting up, etc. Just keep up with that. I would even make sure you maiden and get used to the Bix3 with LOS flights before even mounting the FPV hardware. You're a full scale pilot, so you know how valuable a methodical, detailed process is for safe flight.

Welcome to the FT community and the fun world of FPV RC flight!

To help you get a quicker understanding of the FPV gear, I highly recommend viewing all of IBCrazy's FPV beginner series videos, if you haven't already seen them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dZfovzdSrM&list=PLqKtcta0FXaOLAO_6hcriVPSELuL6Tr2U

Last edited:

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Thanks M, I will check out the vids! Im also just finishing a Storch, so I will be flying that thing to death before I tackle the Bix...

Last edited:

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Hahaha, I forgot about the Bix 3! I just saw it in the closet... Just put all the video gear on my Tundra. Oh well, I guess I will put this one together and los it for a while, then think about FPV cam for it. I am really good at los now and ready to experiment with the Tundra FPV. I wish the Tundra FPV pod would fit on the Bix 3, that would make things much easier.