Building a FT Versa Wing

TheEnJOEneer

Hello Everybody, I am brand new to the hobby and have decided that I would like to build a FT Versa Wing (I would purchase the FliteTest kit of course). But I need to know every piece of electronics I would need( I don't even have a transmitter). I have a list here so if you could add or correct anything on it that would be great.

*FT Versa Wing Kit
*Motor
*Prop
*Transmitter
*Transmitter Receiver
*Speed controller
*Battery
*Battery Charger
*Servos

Also what cheap transmitter and receiver would you recommend.

Thank you,
Joe

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
TheEnJOEneer,

Welcome to the forums. This is a great community with tons of resourceful people.

What is your RC Flight experience? I know you said you are brand new, but simulator time, stick time on a friends plane, anything like that? The Versa Wing might not be the best choice for first plane if it is what you plan to learn on. Not saying it is not possible, just saying there might be better choices. Are there other RC Flyer's near you? Primarily, an experienced pilot willing to help?

If you are confident and set on the Versa Wing, plenty here will make recommendations on the specs for your equipment list. Let us know and we will get this started.

royw

Like several others have said I think you should start with something simpler. I tried several like Old Fogey and others, but had problems. Try the Tiny Trainer! It's a fun easy build. I built the chuck glider first, then with servos and then the power version. I now have five of them. You will learn the process, the chuck glider only requires foam and glue, so it's cheap. You will learn how to balance without all the extra stuff and you get instant gratification. Build several chuck gliders because others will want to try it, and you will have extra wings for later ones.

daytonriverrat

I wouldn't change away from the Versa Wing as long as you are building the tractor version. With the tractor version, you will have a much easier time balancing the center of gravity and launching. As for your list, if you are buying the kit, you will get the push rods, control horns and linkage stoppers in the kit. You may want to add servo lead extensions to your list and make sure your receiver is 4 channels at a minimum. Change your "prop" on the list to "props" and buy extras. Landing the tractor style can be hard on props.

I really like the Versa and have built both the pusher and tractor versions of the regular wing and also the blunt nose. For banging around, the tractor style is great, easy to launch and, once dialed in, a real performer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Juak8-wRj4E

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Welcome to the FT community Joe, and to the hobby!

As others have offered great advice, I might add one little bit: the hesitance you're hearing from people about flying a Versa if you've never flown RC before is that it technically does require a bit more advanced flying experience.

Most new pilots have early success with slower, self-stabilizing airframes that don't require quite as much muscle memory because they are more forgiving.

That said, with enough simulator practice, you can probably do well with a Versa. It's just that the chances are better that you'll enjoy the experience with a more stable/slower aircraft.

My recommendation if you are going to build and fly the Versa as your first aircraft is to find someone who's more experienced and see if they can offer to "buddy box" with you. If there are RC clubs near you, they usually have flight instructors who volunteer their time to help new pilots/hobbyists.

Have fun!

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Like the others, I highly suggest the FT Flyer for at least your first few flight sessions. The Versa Wing is a fairly heavy plane that easily penetrates into the wind and has no dihedral. What this means is that it will fly with a good amount of speed and track like an F1 car, keeping speed in the turns. The FT Flyer on the other hand has dihedral and is very light. It will fly very slow when needed, make nice slow turns, and keep itself level meaning you will have a lot more time to think about what move to make next rather than flying off muscle memory (assuming you've never flown before).

If you are tight on a budget and don't want to buy different types of batteries then you could also start off with the Simple Soarer. You can fit an 1800 or 2200 mAh lipo if you make the nose slightly longer. The SS also has dihedral and flies nice and slow (I once flew it with one hand while talking on the phone!). You're definitely going to be out and flying the versa soon, but picking up or buying a Flyer or SS kit will help you get there faster and with less frustration.