Building a P40 Master Series

Burnhard

Applied the decals over the past days. We are basically done.
IMG_0740.jpeg

In terms of mods, we have retracts, a stearable tail wheel and functional flaps.
IMG_0739.jpeg

The spinner is done by means of the good old bottle cap and xps foam variant.

Burnhard

That really looks nice! Are you pleased?
Oh yes, I am. Came out quite nicely.

I am still wondering about the odd fitting skins and formers which happened through the upscaling. For the tail I used the skin as is (took a bit of pinching) and only noted the size issue on the front formers. Technically the tail is therefore too large but it does not really show.

Burnhard

Quick update on the spinners. Unfortunately I had three versions exploding on me (the first two I made from some brittle foam and the third one from simple styrofoam). The fourth one out of standard XPS insulation foam now seems to hold up just well.

Another issue I have is wheelsize on our field. It’s not easy to get the aircraft moving for takeoff and so far with each landing the nose came down on the last half meter. I could either increase the wheelsize (which I do not like for scale reasons) or I could add an ESC with motor reverse. Does anybody know how to program that? I have seen this at youtube in the videos from Tailheavy.

Last edited:

Tench745

Master member
Reversing ESCs typically have forward from 0 to +100 and reverse from 0 to -100. Don't know what radio you have, but basically, set it up so the throttle stick all the way down gives you 0 and all the way up gives you +100. Then set up a switch for reverse that will invert that value.

Burnhard

Reversing ESCs typically have forward from 0 to +100 and reverse from 0 to -100. Don't know what radio you have, but basically, set it up so the throttle stick all the way down gives you 0 and all the way up gives you +100. Then set up a switch for reverse that will invert that value.
That‘s right. Found a nice youtube tutorial for that and I have done that set-up for my sea duck as a test case. On the P40 I am a bit hesitant as the ESC is hidden deep in the nose and getting that reconnected is a bit of a challenge.

Crazed Scout Pilot

Beenhard I am really amazed that is an epic P-40!!!!!! Love the paint job love the decals love everything about it!!!!! Is there any way of posting the scaled up templet so I could recreate it?

Draftman1

The p40 is a mini sized kit, Buying the kit is the best way,
Having the original poster put up the plans violates copyright for John overstreet

Draftman1

You can do the FT p40, it’s not a master series but looks very good in the air, very nice flyer also.
Or….

Get a 3D view and make your own, It’s a very rewarding process when you totally design and scratch build your own.

Crazed Scout Pilot

I have already built a FT P-40 I really like it. I have never hear of getting a 3D view and making my own, I'm really interested, how would I do that?

Burnhard

Beenhard I am really amazed that is an epic P-40!!!!!! Love the paint job love the decals love everything about it!!!!! Is there any way of posting the scaled up templet so I could recreate it?
The easiest way is to get you a sbk for a mighty mini and then to xerox the parts. That way you have plans to play around with. I did not create any particular plans for the mods I did but rather went along as I did the build.