Building a tricopter per the scratch guide. Flashing the ESC neccassary?

Kogashuko

I was just going through the guide one more time prior to building when my pivots get here on monday. I saw in the video guide that it mentions flashing the ESC so it responds faster. I didnt realize this when I ordered the ESCs. I then found this guide on youtube http://youtu.be/NZsT0agRZMY. Looks good but I have no idea where to find the ribbon cable adapter to push on the ESC. Building it with breadboard plugs????

IS this step absolutely necessary or can I skip this, get if flying, and tweek it later? I really dont want to order plush ESCs now that I already have these but can if need be. Thanks.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Nope, not a must. It will fly quite well with unflashed ESC's - but flashing them makes the ESC's A LOT better for multicopters!

Go ahead build it with unflashed ESC's, no problem at all - just like my tricopter.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
I had a discussion about this a few months ago with biggles. And as has been said, it's not subjectively necessary to flash the ESCs. . .but if you choose to, the flight fidelity will be noticeably improved.

So, basically, flashing the ESCs is merely another of the many improvements to the physics and electronics as GPS, auto-leveling, etc., is to other aspects of the multirotor experience.

Here's Simon himself briefly, but technically, going into it.

Kogashuko

Cool, good to know. I am not planning on doing a lot of manual flying at first because I have limited space. Instead I am going to do some mission planning with the APM and run waypoints. This is because I sit on a one acre lot that is mostly wooded so there is not much space for flying. Once I install a fpv rig this will probably change. I also want to take this thing to a few landmarks and fly it. Also, not right away.

If I build another I will be sure to either learn how to flash first or go with turngidy plush and programer board. I wouldnt mind building a larger "Drednaught" Y6 or hex that can mount a DSLR. I am also figuring out the wiring and amp draw of adding a HID kit for night flying.

Nope, not a must. It will fly quite well with unflashed ESC's - but flashing them makes the ESC's A LOT better for multicopters!

Go ahead build it with unflashed ESC's, no problem at all - just like my tricopter.

Even I've done the same thing, but I've got the flashing tools so that I can do it in the near future.